Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts - Page 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 17.08.2011, 09:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Has anyone in the know confirmed why the blackout regulations have been enforced this year, having not been enforced for the previous two years, despite having been within the broadcast contract the entire time?
Old 17.08.2011, 09:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Has anyone in the know confirmed why the blackout regulations have been enforced this year, having not been enforced for the previous two years, despite having been within the broadcast contract the entire time?
Nope, the only statement we've had is that the deal hasn't changed and sky has always had the right to blackout the games. No one is saying Why its changed, just that is has.

It also gets very quiet when you ask is it fair that we pay the same price but don't get red zone and have the blackouts and are not allowed to see the playoffs.
Old 17.08.2011, 11:30 PM
Hall of Fame

I think an answer to this will help. It won't of course change the outcome, but if a genuine reason can be offered, it might at least let people understand why the need for this change.
Old 17.08.2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I think an answer to this will help. It won't of course change the outcome, but if a genuine reason can be offered, it might at least let people understand why the need for this change.
Hi Paul31, my genuine answer to this is on the original post, the first question & answer. There's not much more to add. I'll paste it here:

Why has the blackout rules in the UK changed from last season?
The blackout rules are based on the broadcast rights & restrictions in place for the UK. For previous seasons of NFL Game Pass, these blackout rules were not enforced as they were outlined. Therefore, nothing in the broadcast rights & restrictions have changed; however, respecting these rights & restrictions has been clarified and enforced for this season within NFL Game Pass.
Old 17.08.2011, 11:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesp View Post
Hi Paul31, my genuine answer to this is on the original post, the first question & answer. There's not much more to add. I'll paste it here:

Why has the blackout rules in the UK changed from last season?
The blackout rules are based on the broadcast rights & restrictions in place for the UK. For previous seasons of NFL Game Pass, these blackout rules were not enforced as they were outlined. Therefore, nothing in the broadcast rights & restrictions have changed; however, respecting these rights & restrictions has been clarified and enforced for this season within NFL Game Pass.
I'm afraid that doesn't answer my question. I understand all the above - my question is specifically why these rights and restrictions have been enforced this season and not the last two.

If you don't know, or can't answer, fair enough. I just think at this stage it seems a kick in the teeth to many users as it does devalue the product somewhat. At least if they knew why, it may be more justified to these folks.
Old 17.08.2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid that doesn't answer my question. I understand all the above - my question is specifically why these rights and restrictions have been enforced this season and not the last two.

If you don't know, or can't answer, fair enough. I just think at this stage it seems a kick in the teeth to many users as it does devalue the product somewhat. At least if they knew why, it may be more justified to these folks.
The answer is there, the rights & restrictions were clarified and are enforced for this season. I understand this could be a frustrating point for fans in the UK. Unfortunately this is the policy that NFL Game Pass will abide by this season.

That said, I am obligated to remind fans that the games blacked out within Game Pass are available on Sky Sports, and that there are still up to 14 other live games available per week on NFL Game Pass for UK subscribers.
Old 17.08.2011, 11:47 PM
Hall of Fame

It's clear you are either missing my point, or deliberately ignoring what I believe to be a fairly obvious question.

Thanks for wasting my time.
Old 18.08.2011, 12:46 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's clear you are either missing my point, or deliberately ignoring what I believe to be a fairly obvious question.

Thanks for wasting my time.
Amen to that Paul.
Old 18.08.2011, 05:58 AM
Starter

Angry

Alistair Kirkwood should come on here and explain why such a clause was allowed to be specified by Sky in the first place, even though it has not been enforced until now, and how on earth NFLUK think such a clause is in the interests of UK fans
Old 18.08.2011, 07:29 AM
All Pro

My guess is someone at Sky noticed this was in the contract and hadn't been enforced and then they threw a hissy fit. It's not the guys at Gamepass' fault, they're just abiding by the contract that was signed between the NFL (UK?) and Sky which is afterall a legally binding document. It sucks and I'll think twice before renewing if the situation is the same or, please no, gets worse next season but there's nothing charlesp can say or do to make it better.

Best way to complain about the blackouts is to write directly to the NFL and/or Sky and should anyone on here be a Sky subscriber just cancel to and tell them why in no uncertain terms when you phone up, not that it'll make a difference but it'll make you feel better. Sky are ruining TV in this country, did anyone say monopoly?

As for why do we pay the same as other countries for an inferior service? Welcome to rip-off Britain. It's the same for other services we use, first example that pops into my head is Xbox Live. We actually pay more than the US given the exchange rate and VAT (at least it was last time I checked, not by much but more) yet we don't get access to Netflix and Hulu and all that good stuff. Plus we don't get a lot of the demos and videos they get in the states, tis just rubbish. We do get Sky player though, so what does that tell you?

Tags
black out , blackout , blackouts , game pass , gamepass