Are the Patriots the NFL's most hated team? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 28.02.2013, 12:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Are the Patriots the NFL's most hated team?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ost-hated-team

I guess Terrell Suggs is saying this from a players perspective but they are generally disliked much like the Cowboys.
Old 28.02.2013, 12:38 PM
MVP

I think in term of UK based fans they are probably the most supported and the most disliked. Just the same as Man Utd. But in America things will be different.

Last edited by james1b; 28.02.2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 28.02.2013, 12:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Can we feature a poll vote? Would be interesting to find out.
Old 28.02.2013, 01:02 PM
Pro Bowler

I don't hate the team or the franchise as a whole, I just hate bandwagon fans and a lot of people over here in the UK seem to support the Patriots based on their success in the Brady era. And no of course that doesn't mean every British Pats fan and no the Patriots are not the only team.
Old 28.02.2013, 01:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
I don't hate the team or the franchise as a whole, I just hate bandwagon fans and a lot of people over here in the UK seem to support the Patriots based on their success in the Brady era. And no of course that doesn't mean every British Pats fan and no the Patriots are not the only team.
Look what they have done to you, feeling the need to justify quite reasonable comments
Old 28.02.2013, 01:10 PM
All Pro

It's a funny thing hate that is spawned from jealousy. If you're hated as a team in sports then I always thought you must be doing something right.
Old 28.02.2013, 01:10 PM
All Pro

We probably are but teams people consider ''successful'' (even though we haven't won the the superbowl since the 2004 season) will always be disliked. I suppose the ''success' people percieve is the winning record over the last 12 years, as well as being an almost ever present in the playoffs during that time frame. It shows you are doing something right when most other fans hate you. Are those fans jealous? A lot of them i'd say were.
Old 28.02.2013, 01:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Leeds View Post
We probably are but teams people consider ''successful'' (even though we haven't won the the superbowl since the 2004 season) will always be disliked. I suppose the ''success' people percieve is the winning record over the last 12 years, as well as being an almost ever present in the playoffs during that time frame. It shows you are doing something right when most other fans hate you. Are those fans jealous? A lot of them i'd say were.
There is an amount of jealousy in terms of I wish my team could perform like that but the majority of it is through the annoying cocky nature of the franchise. A lot of this is perceived through the looking to have something to dislike. But the main reasons for disliking the successful teams are the glory supporting fans and that top teams have an element of cockyness about them.

Then there is the Cowboys who are cocky but for no apparent reason.
Old 28.02.2013, 01:14 PM
MVP

Does anybody really care?
Old 28.02.2013, 01:18 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
It's sport. People find it easier to get into a sport when they have a team to follow. And someone trying to get into a 'foreign' sport is going to pick a 'winner' to follow, more often than not.

It's the way of the world, in all sports, and has been for decades.

It's why Scandinavia and the Far East is full of Man United and Liverpool fans.

There's no romanticism of following a perennial loser if you're not from the town/city/area/state. People should realise that.

Saying that, it's only when you get into the sport properly that you realise that the NFL is fairly cyclical, and most teams see some kind of success (Playoffs, Divisional title etc) every so often.

New fans aren't able to grasp that initially though. Which they shouldn't be criticised for.