Terrestrial/Free To Air NFL Coverage Discussion - Page 33 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 02.08.2015, 06:55 PM
Starter

Default Makes sense though..

I can see why the BBC would pick them up. The BBC are making a lot of cuts this year. The NFL is a niche, but rising sport. It'll be cheap for the BBC to obtain, fill a schedule hole and get people regularly tuning in.

A real game changer would be seeing _something_ on the sports updates on the BBC News channel.
Old 03.08.2015, 06:12 AM
Pro Bowler

What was the deal with BBC and MNF back a while ago? Wasn't it a case of them getting it extremely cheap at the last minute because NFLUK couldn't find a terrestrial home for NFL that year?
Old 03.08.2015, 06:14 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxx View Post
What was the deal with BBC and MNF back a while ago? Wasn't it a case of them getting it extremely cheap at the last minute because NFLUK couldn't find a terrestrial home for NFL that year?
Yep. Very rushed, days before the season started and plonked on the red button.
Old 03.08.2015, 06:33 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Yep. Very rushed, days before the season started and plonked on the red button.
Thanks. I knew it was this but needed some clarification.

I have someone on another forum stating that the BBC 'aren't investing more money into the NFL' than previous years and I came back with something along the lines of 'what ever they paid for SNF will be a lot more than what they got MNF for'.
Old 03.08.2015, 08:22 AM
All Pro

The BBC will pay next to nothing for the NFL contract if anything at all. The NFL would still rather showcase the Wembley game/Playoff highlights and Super Bowl on the highest profile channels in the UK than anywhere else. SNF is purely an unloved stepchild from the beeb's point of view at the moment, it just comes with the package. The BBC couldn't pay much for the NFL because it'd be far too controversial and political at a time they're losing a lot of British sports.

I've always found NFL on the BBC to be odd bedfellows. There's something a little uncomfortable for the NFL essentially using the BBC as a quasi-advertising platform (that's pretty much what the FTA rights are) for their medium/long term strategy of their 31 billionaire owners to get even richer by growing the UK fanbase.

I think it'd be much more in keeping with the direction the BBC should go in if they showed the BAFA FInals live, especially the Premiership final on say BBC3 and red button the other games.
Old 03.08.2015, 08:28 AM
MVP

Hopefully the return of the NFL to the BBC means a return of the excellent draft coverage on BBC 5 live.
Old 03.08.2015, 08:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley_Man View Post
Hopefully the return of the NFL to the BBC means a return of the excellent draft coverage on BBC 5 live.
I agree the Five Live stuff is often what the BBC does best covering any sport (unless they rope in Robbie Savage). Their draft stuff was excellent, usually because it's produced by people who really know their stuff like Simon Clancy etc.

I first wondered if NFL was reestablishing relations with the BBC when Five Live picked up comms for the Championship games in January (think i mentioned it then on the Ratings forum). Must have been a one off thing for that at the Super Bowl - maybe when they have a more solid deal across both TV and radio they might bring the draft coverage back.
Old 03.08.2015, 09:17 AM
Pro Bowler

There is a difference to 2012 in that it seems the BBC is proactively looking to get the NFL regular season games this time rather than having the NFLUK going to them and asking to air it. So the notion that they're not paying more than they did back then is not accurate imho.
Old 03.08.2015, 09:33 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxx View Post
There is a difference to 2012 in that it seems the BBC is proactively looking to get the NFL regular season games this time rather than having the NFLUK going to them and asking to air it. So the notion that they're not paying more than they did back then is not accurate imho.
My reading of it's a bit different. For whatever reason C4 and NFL couldn't agree to extend, maybe showing the Wembley games live was a sticking point (underperform slots), maybe the NFL wanted more (some?) money, maybe the NFL wanted to split up the package and give the BBC back the Super Bowl and Wembley games as the there's been no increase/a slight decrease in viewing of those on Channel 4 and as the Super Bowl is the only thing of any value in the package maybe Channel 4 bulked?

My thoughts are that, after C4 first refusal, the NFL have then gone back to a sports light/tight budgeted BBC to say here's the big brand Super Bowl 50 for free (put it on BBC1 please after MOTD2 to get most viewing), here are the Wembley games and playoff highlights. Oh and as part of this free package you have to home SNF somewhere.
Old 03.08.2015, 10:09 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
My reading of it's a bit different. For whatever reason C4 and NFL couldn't agree to extend, maybe showing the Wembley games live was a sticking point (underperform slots), maybe the NFL wanted more (some?) money, maybe the NFL wanted to split up the package and give the BBC back the Super Bowl and Wembley games as the there's been no increase/a slight decrease in viewing of those on Channel 4 and as the Super Bowl is the only thing of any value in the package maybe Channel 4 bulked?

My thoughts are that, after C4 first refusal, the NFL have then gone back to a sports light/tight budgeted BBC to say here's the big brand Super Bowl 50 for free (put it on BBC1 please after MOTD2 to get most viewing), here are the Wembley games and playoff highlights. Oh and as part of this free package you have to home SNF somewhere.
in that case they might as well force them to show that cartoon and give two timeslots for the highlights

hell throw in a second choice early slot game too (tbh i dont know if the Sky contract would limit such a thing but of course its not going to happen, so it doesnt matter.)

tbh i hope it would be a tad more mutual than that and beneficial to both, after all surely building up the sport and the SB could benefit the beeb as the perfect home for the London Franchise games.