Terrestrial/Free To Air NFL Coverage Discussion - Page 35 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 05.08.2015, 09:56 AM
All Pro

I wonder if people are going to be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. The NFL know that, despite their own commissioned figures that NFL fandom in the UK is 'growing', viewing figures have stalled over the last 4/5 years. They will be throwing a lot at this to get the best deal possible. Don't forget MNF a couple of years ago really was a last minute solution funded entirely by the NFL, this time there's obviously a lot more thought and effort going into how the BBC can support the league optimally.

The NFL obviously have a lot of reserves and influence when agreeing these rights, see how they got Channel 4 to feature the NFL on pre programming before the Lions v Falcons last year (a more horrendous version of Sunday Brunch than normal, American Football subject episode of The Simpsons etc...) or how they moved around the highlights show to try to grow the audience.

My prediction is Super Bowl on BBC1, playoff highlights & Wembley live games on BBC2. SNF & weekly highlights on BBC3 (maybe even Hard Knocks on BBC3? if not expect to see it on Sky Sports I think). Live games back weekly on Radio 5 and Radio 5 Live.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:35 AM
Pro Bowler

If they put it on BBC3, they might as well have it on the red button as BBC 3 will be gone from TV soon.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:38 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
I wonder if people are going to be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. The NFL know that, despite their own commissioned figures that NFL fandom in the UK is 'growing', viewing figures have stalled over the last 4/5 years. They will be throwing a lot at this to get the best deal possible. Don't forget MNF a couple of years ago really was a last minute solution funded entirely by the NFL, this time there's obviously a lot more thought and effort going into how the BBC can support the league optimally.

The NFL obviously have a lot of reserves and influence when agreeing these rights, see how they got Channel 4 to feature the NFL on pre programming before the Lions v Falcons last year (a more horrendous version of Sunday Brunch than normal, American Football subject episode of The Simpsons etc...) or how they moved around the highlights show to try to grow the audience.

My prediction is Super Bowl on BBC1, playoff highlights & Wembley live games on BBC2. SNF & weekly highlights on BBC3 (maybe even Hard Knocks on BBC3? if not expect to see it on Sky Sports I think). Live games back weekly on Radio 5 and Radio 5 Live.
Sorry to point this out, but all of this is speculation based on a tweet from Vernon Kay and a reply to a viewers enquiry from C4. The BBC have made no sort of announcement at all. There is no mention of NFL coverage at all on their website. They do not even mention American Football on their sporting calendar. Give that the season kicks off in a little over 5 weeks, I find this a bit strange if they have got the FTA rights.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:41 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxx View Post
If they put it on BBC3, they might as well have it on the red button as BBC 3 will be gone from TV soon.
Maybe it'll go on BBC2 or BBC4 if it's longer than a year deal then. If they have a studio (financed by NFL?) with SNF then they could theoretically put it on BBC2.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:46 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman View Post
Sorry to point this out, but all of this is speculation based on a tweet from Vernon Kay and a reply to a viewers enquiry from C4. The BBC have made no sort of announcement at all. There is no mention of NFL coverage at all on their website. They do not even mention American Football on their sporting calendar. Give that the season kicks off in a little over 5 weeks, I find this a bit strange if they have got the FTA rights.
But this won't be a shotgun announcement. There will need to be press releases and marketing around this and lots of schedules agreed with various channels and BBC Sport. There'll probably also be a balance to strike with how public the BBC can be with saying they got these rights for next to nothing to satisfy the political climate with the NFL not wanting that knowledge in the public domain (see how guarded the rights value is for NFL and Sky Sports).

Apparently the BBC were at the Detroit Lions facilities yesterday according to this tweet...

David J. Chao, MD and 36 others follow
Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett 18h18 hours ago
BBC and NFL Network in the house at #Lions training camp today

Last edited by jonno; 05.08.2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:54 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
But this won't be a shotgun announcement. There will need to be press releases and marketing around this and lots of schedules agreed with various channels and BBC Sport. There'll probably also be a balance to strike with how public the BBC can be with saying they got these rights for next to nothing to satisfy the political climate with the NFL not wanting that knowledge in the public domain (see how guarded the rights value is for NFL and Sky Sports).

Apparently the BBC were at the Detroit Lions facilities yesterday according to this tweet...

Fair enough, I suppose, but even so it would be nice to hear something sooner rather than later.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:54 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Neil Reynolds is in Detroit, so he might be confused.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:56 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman View Post
Fair enough, I suppose, but even so it would be nice to hear something sooner rather than later.
Thank your lucky stars you weren't here years ago!
Old 05.08.2015, 12:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxx View Post
By looks of this, they can at least get SNF on the telly for upcoming season if BBC get the rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32427973
Old 05.08.2015, 03:21 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Broncos View Post
By looks of this, they can at least get SNF on the telly for upcoming season if BBC get the rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32427973
Ohh, I missed this. Thought the plan was for end of this year. Evidently not.

Thanks for the correction.