Terrestrial/Free To Air NFL Coverage Discussion - Page 44 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 19.08.2015, 11:36 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bath_BTGOG View Post
If you want it to grow then it has to be free to watch or at the very least a highlights show. The waiting is unbearable and I can see myself having to take the plunge (CAN'T REALLY AFFORD IT) and get a gamepass to get my fix of NFL this year.
Very true, but call me cynical but part of me believes that's why pretty much all UK TV deals for the NFL are so delayed.
Old 19.08.2015, 02:06 PM
Rookie

I know we have seen people mention the beeb have the NFL rights, without anything concrete, but I thought I would add this email I got back from channel 4 this morning.
-----

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding NFL: American Football Live.

We appreciate your interest in our coverage of American football.

Unfortunately we do not have the rights to this years? NFL season, these have gone to the BBC for the next two years
Old 19.08.2015, 03:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Lots of talk here, and on other threads, about BT, gamepass, live streaming, etc. To all of these I say NO.

I have my own, personal, reasons which I have mentioned on other threads, these being;

Cost. I refuse, point blank, to pay Sky a single penny. Once you have signed a contract it is nearly impossible to get out of it, and they WILL up the price to pay for premiership football (£11 million per match remember). Similarly with gamepass, it will be impossible to convince my wife it is worth it. That goes for any form of pay to view TV, actually.

TV transmitter coverage. Where I live I cannot get all the freeview channels, ITV4 is not available for instance, and I very much doubt any BT sport channel will be either (cannot even get dave). The same goes for broadband by the way, dodgy to say the least.

Let us assume that the BBC has the rights to show NFL free to air, then, for me, that is good. The questions are, what will they show and on which channel? Will they show regular season games live or just highlights with only playoffs and Superbowl live?

If the NFL is serious about growing the sport in this country, then they should at least try to ensure that all games (regular season, playoffs and Superbowl) are on a free to air channel that everyone can get.

Whatever is going to happen, I think we should be told and sooner rather than later, if only the fact that the BBC have got the rights and they will at least be showing SOMETHING free to air.
Old 19.08.2015, 03:33 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman View Post
Cost. I refuse, point blank, to pay Sky a single penny. Once you have signed a contract it is nearly impossible to get out of it, and they WILL up the price to pay for premiership football.
It really isn't, you just phone up and tell them you want to cancel or, better still, are going to move to BT. Normally they will offer you a good deal to stay with them for the next 12 months (Last time I good a free HD box and 6 months half price fibre optic broadband). You don't have to accept and 28 days later you will not pick up and of the sky channels.

Quote:
If the NFL is serious about growing the sport in this country, then they should at least try to ensure that all games (regular season, playoffs and Superbowl) are on a free to air channel that everyone can get.
Play off games are part of sky's exclusive deal and will not be live anywhere else.

There has been loads of comments on this thread and others that the NFL needs SNF to be on free TV to help grow the sport but that is just nonsense. The numbers of fans gained from having SNF on C4 or BBC is going to be in single digits, if not zero. Who is going to be flicking through the channels, looking for something to watch at 3am on a monday morning when the most people will be having to get up for work in a few hours. The best thing for this would be a highlights package at a prime time as I doubt a live game at anytime would draw someone in. If the average attention span of a channel hopper is 10-20 seconds it is very unlikely that they will tune in at a pivotal moment, more likely they will see studio chat, people standing around in a huddle or a run for 1 yard gain. Not the most eyecatching. Try it next time you have recorded a game, fast forward and stop it randomly and see if anything exciting happens in the next 10 seconds!
Old 19.08.2015, 07:38 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Lots of talk here, and on other threads, about BT, gamepass, live streaming, etc. To all of these I say NO.

I have my own, personal, reasons which I have mentioned on other threads, these being;

Cost. I refuse, point blank, to pay Sky a single penny. Once you have signed a contract it is nearly impossible to get out of it, and they WILL up the price to pay for premiership football (£11 million per match remember). Similarly with gamepass, it will be impossible to convince my wife it is worth it. That goes for any form of pay to view TV, actually.

TV transmitter coverage. Where I live I cannot get all the freeview channels, ITV4 is not available for instance, and I very much doubt any BT sport channel will be either (cannot even get dave). The same goes for broadband by the way, dodgy to say the least.

Let us assume that the BBC has the rights to show NFL free to air, then, for me, that is good. The questions are, what will they show and on which channel? Will they show regular season games live or just highlights with only playoffs and Superbowl live?

Whatever is going to happen, I think we should be told and sooner rather than later, if only the fact that the BBC have got the rights and they will at least be showing SOMETHING free to air.
I think you need to put your fishing rod away.

All games live and free, what a joke and to be honest I do not want that. I like to pay for a premium package, with Sky you get UK presenters who to some are not their cup of tea but I like that, and with Gamepass you can pick whatever game whenever you want (other than black outs) there is no sport played in Britain where you get that!
Old 19.08.2015, 08:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeytom View Post
I think you need to put your fishing rod away.

All games live and free, what a joke and to be honest I do not want that. I like to pay for a premium package, with Sky you get UK presenters who to some are not their cup of tea but I like that, and with Gamepass you can pick whatever game whenever you want (other than black outs) there is no sport played in Britain where you get that!
So how much do they pay to watch the games on TV in America?

OK, yes I was fishing a bit, but why not? If you don't ask, you don't get. The point is, if the NFL want to increase interest in the game in this country it has to be easily accessible on mainstream, terrestrial TV. Even if it is just a good highlights package.

There are some of us who remember the early eighties when a 1 hour highlights show on Sundays, plus the Superbowl live was all that there was.

Last edited by Bowman; 19.08.2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 19.08.2015, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where I live I cannot get all the freeview channels, ITV4 is not available for instance
You will be able to get ITV4 from from next Tuesday.

That is when it will move to the main ITV/C4 multiplex which is available from all transmitters.
Old 19.08.2015, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Guys look at Vernon Kay's twitter.....
Old 19.08.2015, 09:43 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermouse23 View Post
Guys look at Vernon Kay's twitter.....
That is a puzzler.

Maybe he's had a few drinks and is just making the point to C4 that lots of people enjoyed their NFL coverage and are waiting for it to come back.
Old 19.08.2015, 10:42 PM
All Pro

This is the tweet BTW https://twitter.com/supersimonc/stat...02631800172545