Well done Peyton - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 20.10.2014, 04:29 PM
All Pro

Default Well done Peyton

Just thought we could have a separate thread just to say congrats to Peyton, well done number 18 whether you are the greatest ever it does not matter.

It's hard to believe that if Tim Tebow had been a better q/b and could actually throw the ball Peyton would have played for a different team and maybe broken the record with them instead of the Broncos, Maybe Tennessee?

It may not be much but im very glad to be able to say that I watched Peyton live when he threw the TD pass that broke the record as I saw a certain Brett Favre do only a few years earlier (only seems a couple of years ago) anyway well done Peyton the record couldn't have fallen to a better player and man.
Old 20.10.2014, 08:26 PM
All Pro

indeed........well done PM, hopefully he continues onto 600 in that uniform with a ring or two more to show for it
Old 20.10.2014, 08:28 PM
All Pro

With all the great things Peyton has done, my first thought is still 'football on my phone'.
Old 20.10.2014, 10:24 PM
Hall of Fame

And ofcourse he is the brother of two time Super Bowl MVP Eli
Old 21.10.2014, 07:43 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to Piemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
With all the great things Peyton has done, my first thought is still 'football on my phone'.
Interestingly, I think that for all the records he has broken on the field, and at least one Superbowl ring, the "Football on your phone" advert may be the thing that still sticks in my mind in 20-30 years time.

Don't get me wrong, Peyton is an incredible quarterback and one of the best of all time (whether or not he is the best of all time is impossible to determine and mostly irrelevant). But a large part of his legacy will be the way he conducted himself off the field. Not only does he work harder than pretty much anyone on his game, but he has that rare quality in an elite professional athlete of not taking himself too seriously. Whether it's his reply to Richard Sherman before the Superbowl ("a lot of my passes are ducks, but some of them go for touchdowns") or pretending to care while his receivers play keepaway with his record-setting ball, or dressing up like an idiot with his brother to do the 'football on your phone' advert.

When I'm an old man I may not be able to convince the youth of the day that Manning was better than Thomas Brady III, or whoever is the latest hotshot by then, but I can always link them to that advert on YouHologram and they can get something of an understanding of the kind of professional he was
Old 22.10.2014, 12:05 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piemaster View Post
Interestingly, I think that for all the records he has broken on the field, and at least one Superbowl ring, the "Football on your phone" advert may be the thing that still sticks in my mind in 20-30 years time.

Don't get me wrong, Peyton is an incredible quarterback and one of the best of all time (whether or not he is the best of all time is impossible to determine and mostly irrelevant). But a large part of his legacy will be the way he conducted himself off the field. Not only does he work harder than pretty much anyone on his game, but he has that rare quality in an elite professional athlete of not taking himself too seriously. Whether it's his reply to Richard Sherman before the Superbowl ("a lot of my passes are ducks, but some of them go for touchdowns") or pretending to care while his receivers play keepaway with his record-setting ball, or dressing up like an idiot with his brother to do the 'football on your phone' advert.

When I'm an old man I may not be able to convince the youth of the day that Manning was better than Thomas Brady III, or whoever is the latest hotshot by then, but I can always link them to that advert on YouHologram and they can get something of an understanding of the kind of professional he was
I'll second that. Away to look up you tube for that advert now.

Seriously though, I was obviously a bit disappointed that Favre's record has gone, but there really is no-one I would have preferred it to be that beat it (Rodgers in a few years obviously). Manning thoroughly deserves it for the way he conducts himself on and off the field. His attention to detail is second to none and the way he has come back from the neck surgeries was amazing. I am sure there will have been some players who got to that stage of their careers and thought it was the right time to retire considering what he had already done. And if he had, no-one would have criticised him for that and he still would have been considered one of the greatest. But to do what he has done the past two years is phenomenal.

He reminds me a bit of Steve Davis the snooker player. Always deadly serious when playing and I used to consider him dull and boring. However, when I saw him play an exhibition match years ago, wow, what a funny guy. Both players reached the very top of their game through hard work and determination, yet could be considered the nicest guys you could meet and not take themselves too seriously all the time.

Strange to compare an NFL QB to a snooker player but I hope you see where I am coming from.

Well done Peyton, and fair play to Favre for the way he has reacted. Right Rodgers, you've got some catching up to do!!
Old 22.10.2014, 12:13 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase View Post
indeed........well done PM, hopefully he continues onto 600 in that uniform with a ring or two more to show for it
That sounds fantastic. Not sure how long he has left but hopefully with the continued o-line protection, good team around him, and the hunger we will stick around for at least 1 more season after this one.

Well done Peyton!
Old 22.10.2014, 12:15 PM
All Pro

another thought....his stats speak for himself, but what does Peyton have to do to be considered the greatest of all time? its all about rings from now on. do you think 1 more ring would be enough?
Old 22.10.2014, 12:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milehigh Broncos View Post
another thought....his stats speak for himself, but what does Peyton have to do to be considered the greatest of all time? its all about rings from now on. do you think 1 more ring would be enough?
He will never be considered the consensus choice for best of all time.....no one will

He is already in the conversation, but there will always be people which say Montana will always be superior because he played in an era when the rules didn't aid the Quarterback as much as they do now
Old 22.10.2014, 12:30 PM
Team Captain

Agreed. We could debate this for hours and hours but will never be able to determine who the GOAT is due to the different rules and eras played. No doubt that had Manning played 20 or 30 years ago his numbers would be nowhere near the same, still right up there with the others, but not the same. I just think that he has to be considered one of the greatest.