Politics - Page 1649 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

  #16481  
Old 12.06.2019, 06:49 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
They did Lee. For once we agree on something! And what are we currently doing? At this moment at least half of the Tory party leadership candidates are suggesting we renegotiate our exit agreement or leave without a deal at the same time as the EU are confirming there's no opportunity to renegotiate and Parliament are voting on legislation to prevent No Deal??

Can the mods please lift the swearing ban on this site so I can try to convey how monumentally stupid this whole situation is?



I think they would. On the 'material change' clause. I think it increasingly likely there's a GE in the autumn. For all of Boris's jolly hockey sticks optimism it'll take more than the guffawing of an upper class buffoon to change the deadlock in Parliament.
on the 2nd point the conservatives know they cannot even consider a GE until not only they have delievered a Brexit but also had a few months of "normal" government business so unless they want to be wiped out next spring would surely be the earliest we might get a new vote but then again enough Labour MP's/independents have to wonder if a GE would also be good for them in the next 6 months.

on the first point the EU must be sick of this and also just want it done but for as much as a solution to the Irish border might fix 1 issue sure some would then just find another reason to vote against any deal.

still wonder if in October maybe 95%+ of Mays awful deal somehow gets brought back and somehow gets enough support.
Reply With Quote
  #16482  
Old 12.06.2019, 07:08 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
maybe missing something but for all 10 candidates the only people that mattered over the last week or so and the next two are the MP's and that's where any serious contender should be spending there time and efforts.

Rory Stewart might have done more media than most and had great feed back but by the weekend he could be out the race while others survive.

i mean its not like they want to be PM or anything and should be sharing plans with people, its not like it makes the whole business even more shady.

so while spending time talking to the peoples votes who matter is needed, he could of still done a proper interview with someone of note.





we all know Rory has no hope, he is being the centrist type and getting his name out there.
Reply With Quote
  #16483  
Old 12.06.2019, 08:23 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
i mean its not like they want to be PM or anything and should be sharing plans with people, its not like it makes the whole business even more shady.

so while spending time talking to the peoples votes who matter is needed, he could of still done a proper interview with someone of note.





we all know Rory has no hope, he is being the centrist type and getting his name out there.
yet again the only people that matter are the conservative MP's and 180,000 party members who already have an opinion but will only get the final say once the MP's narrow it down to 2.

channel 4 has its live debate on sunday so lets see who turns up and how many more questions about what people did decades ago.......

on todays vote in the commons 11 conservatives voted with Labour but 8 labour MP's voted against there party 13 where present but abstained and 4 no-shows.
Reply With Quote
  #16484  
Old 12.06.2019, 09:21 PM
Ravens55's Avatar
Ravens55 Ravens55 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 14.10.2009
Posts: 1,149
Default

Well I guess today's vote means that no-deal is back on the table for the 31st of October.
Reply With Quote
  #16485  
Old 12.06.2019, 10:05 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
yet again the only people that matter are the conservative MP's and 180,000 party members who already have an opinion but will only get the final say once the MP's narrow it down to 2.

channel 4 has its live debate on sunday so lets see who turns up and how many more questions about what people did decades ago.......

on todays vote in the commons 11 conservatives voted with Labour but 8 labour MP's voted against there party 13 where present but abstained and 4 no-shows.

in picking sure but they then have to govern a whole country and at a general get votes from a whole country. so it might be an idea to see how they are polling in that respect and how there plans are seen.



with Boris most of his issues arent from decades ago.



because the Labour party has its own Brexit nutters, the Tory have many more members who know the reality of the impact of a no deal.
Reply With Quote
  #16486  
Old 13.06.2019, 08:29 AM
LesterHayes's Avatar
LesterHayes LesterHayes is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.08.2012
Posts: 3,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
maybe missing something but for all 10 candidates the only people that mattered over the last week or so and the next two are the MP's and that's where any serious contender should be spending there time and efforts.

Rory Stewart might have done more media than most and had great feed back but by the weekend he could be out the race while others survive.
No, you're not missing anything. Well, maybe the absurdity of it all but that's about it.

10 people that most of us never voted for, with policies and plans we knew nothing about, are in a race to be Prime Minister of this country that will be decided on by a tiny and incredibly partisan slice of the UK population. The person that wins will have a run (not a clear one though) at shaping the future of the UK for the next 50 years at least. A decision that's been described by many as the most important political decision ever made in peacetime will be made by someone that virtually no one voted for.

How does it feel? That 'taking back control' thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens55 View Post
Well I guess today's vote means that no-deal is back on the table for the 31st of October.
Yes. It looks like it is.
Reply With Quote
  #16487  
Old 13.06.2019, 10:03 AM
LesterHayes's Avatar
LesterHayes LesterHayes is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.08.2012
Posts: 3,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
on the 2nd point the conservatives know they cannot even consider a GE until not only they have delievered a Brexit but also had a few months of "normal" government business so unless they want to be wiped out next spring would surely be the earliest we might get a new vote but then again enough Labour MP's/independents have to wonder if a GE would also be good for them in the next 6 months.

on the first point the EU must be sick of this and also just want it done but for as much as a solution to the Irish border might fix 1 issue sure some would then just find another reason to vote against any deal.

still wonder if in October maybe 95%+ of Mays awful deal somehow gets brought back and somehow gets enough support.
I think the problem is going to be that delivering Brexit without the approval of Parliament is going to be somewhere between tricky and impossible. I also think that whatever is 'delivered', if it ever actually does get delivered and Mays deal with bells on might be it, is not going to have much approval from anyone so 'normal' government business might be a bit of a pipe dream too. It may be that the only way forward is to start again.

I don't think describing the EU as being sick of it is true. Your use of phrases suggests it's some bar room argument over football scores and not a decision that will directly effect the lives and livelihoods of millions of people and potentially start a war along the Irish border? Quite often I hear the whole Brexit argument reduced to massively over simplistic phrases like this. Do you really think that Tusk, Barnier et al are sat in a room saying "f this, I've had enough, lets just chuck everyone under a bus, I need to get home for the missus"?

There is no solution to the Irish border by the way. Not in this century with the tech we currently have. It's the black hooded terrorist Elephant in the Room with all the Tory leadership candidates and is essentially being completely ignored. The only way to exit the EU with No Deal will require some kind of border to be set up in Ireland. We won't want to do it. The EU won't want to do it. The WTO won't want to do it. But it will be required never-the-less. Quite what the Irish will do when it happens is anyone's guess but most with any knowledge of the area predict it will end badly.
Reply With Quote
  #16488  
Old 13.06.2019, 11:59 AM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
I think the problem is going to be that delivering Brexit without the approval of Parliament is going to be somewhere between tricky and impossible. I also think that whatever is 'delivered', if it ever actually does get delivered and Mays deal with bells on might be it, is not going to have much approval from anyone so 'normal' government business might be a bit of a pipe dream too. It may be that the only way forward is to start again.

I don't think describing the EU as being sick of it is true. Your use of phrases suggests it's some bar room argument over football scores and not a decision that will directly effect the lives and livelihoods of millions of people and potentially start a war along the Irish border? Quite often I hear the whole Brexit argument reduced to massively over simplistic phrases like this. Do you really think that Tusk, Barnier et al are sat in a room saying "f this, I've had enough, lets just chuck everyone under a bus, I need to get home for the missus"?

There is no solution to the Irish border by the way. Not in this century with the tech we currently have. It's the black hooded terrorist Elephant in the Room with all the Tory leadership candidates and is essentially being completely ignored. The only way to exit the EU with No Deal will require some kind of border to be set up in Ireland. We won't want to do it. The EU won't want to do it. The WTO won't want to do it. But it will be required never-the-less. Quite what the Irish will do when it happens is anyone's guess but most with any knowledge of the area predict it will end badly.

one of the most boring aspects is the whole peoples will and people know what they voted for but no one knows what brexit is, mainly what it isnt.
so now its force through a no deal because they cant get the sweetheart terms they thought the EU would be begging to give them.



someone with half a brain should be saying that risking peace in Ireland isnt worth it over a brexit, a brexit that will just give us worse trade deals.
Reply With Quote
  #16489  
Old 13.06.2019, 12:17 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

well these idiots are really going to do it, Boris smashed the others in the first round of voting.

the worlds dumbest puppet is going to be PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16490  
Old 13.06.2019, 07:14 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
well these idiots are really going to do it, Boris smashed the others in the first round of voting.
according to the guy from the Daily Mail on sky papers last night if Hunt gets onto the ballot and gets Gove's backing then that may be something that could push Boris but his standing with the members may already be too much.

also after todays vote there is no reason for Boris to even turn up to most of the TV debates.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 07:41 AM.