Woody Johnson (Jets Owner) feels it's unlikely Darrelle Revis will play in 2010 - Page 8 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 13.08.2010, 12:33 PM
transmetropolitan's Avatar
transmetropolitan transmetropolitan is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.10.2008
Posts: 1,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring25 View Post
totally disagree yes hes underpaid now why didn't he sign a contract with incentives so the better he played the more he got paid. and how many big contacts does he need? after his rookie contract he will get paid big style he and his agent are just money grabers

what if he had been a bust the club would have had to pay him all his guaranteed money is that fair?

rookies at the top of the draft get too much and the lower ones get too little sloted pay scale then they can get paid big after there rookie deals not before to avoid all this stupidity like we are getting now
He did sign a contract with incentives and he’s still underpaid.

Rookies get a contract according to the slot where they were drafted. There is a very limited amount a rookie can do to control the structure of his contract. There is a finite of money that you can earn for your given draft slot. Outside the first 2 rounds that basically means a 4 year contract with minimum salaries and a slotted signing bonus. Remember the average NFL career is about 3 years, so this really matters to your rank and file players.

In Revis’ case the team here is refusing to pay market value because he is under contract. They are saying they have leverage. But the player here was not given any choice other than to refuse to sign at all or sign a 6 year contract. So that leverage, while it does exist, is not really fair – it’s not as if the player chose to take a deal that length (in fact he held out because he didn’t want it). The team insisted on tying him to a deal based on his draft position for fully 6 years. So hopefully you can see why the team’s insistence that they have leverage here rings a bit hollow for the Revis camp.

If the player is a bust then yes the team is out the guaranteed money. But the team can ‘renegotiate’ the contract at any point by cutting the player and not paying him another cent. In the case of high draft picks, the blowing of a prime pick on a dud is a much bigger problem for teams than the money.

His head coach (who has coached future Hall Of Famers like Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed) has reportedly been telling people that Revis is the best player he’s ever coached. Which in turn, fuels the player’s desire to be paid accordingly. If the team/Ryan is sincere about their opinion of Revis, then $16m per year is in my opinion neither unfair or unrealistic. On the open market that amount would comfortably be achievable.

In Revis’ time with the Jets, they’ve paid prime, top of market money for free agents like Pace, Faneca and Scott. So again, from the player’s perspective, if the team will reward players like that (i.e. good but not truly elite) among the best paid at their position, why shouldn’t Revis get paid like the best defensive player in the league?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 13.08.2010, 01:16 PM
Clint Session!'s Avatar
Clint Session! Clint Session! is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 13.12.2009
Posts: 2,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
His head coach (who has coached future Hall Of Famers like Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed) has reportedly been telling people that Revis is the best player he’s ever coached. Which in turn, fuels the player’s desire to be paid accordingly. If the team/Ryan is sincere about their opinion of Revis, then $16m per year is in my opinion neither unfair or unrealistic. On the open market that amount would comfortably be achievable.

In Revis’ time with the Jets, they’ve paid prime, top of market money for free agents like Pace, Faneca and Scott. So again, from the player’s perspective, if the team will reward players like that (i.e. good but not truly elite) among the best paid at their position, why shouldn’t Revis get paid like the best defensive player in the league?
sorry, do you READ what you write? $16 million a year? The only position in this league worth that much money is quarterback, i dont care how good revis is. How can you justify $16 bloody million a year for a guy who covers one reciever. Thats all he can do on any given play, take one guy out of contention, and hs not even proven he can do that against the best consistently, over more than one season. There is no way you can justify to anyone that a cornerback should be the highest paid player in the league, cause he just doesnt do enough for the team to have earned that much money.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 13.08.2010, 02:42 PM
transmetropolitan's Avatar
transmetropolitan transmetropolitan is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.10.2008
Posts: 1,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Session! View Post
sorry, do you READ what you write? $16 million a year? The only position in this league worth that much money is quarterback, i dont care how good revis is. How can you justify $16 bloody million a year for a guy who covers one reciever. Thats all he can do on any given play, take one guy out of contention, and hs not even proven he can do that against the best consistently, over more than one season. There is no way you can justify to anyone that a cornerback should be the highest paid player in the league, cause he just doesnt do enough for the team to have earned that much money.
If the Jets don’t value the position very highly or rate him in that bracket then I’m a bit confused as to why his head coach has been making so much noise about what an incredible player he is.

If they think he’s the best defensive player in the league (which from listening to Ryan you would think they do), then there’s no reason you cannot pay $16m per year. Last year they paid Calvin Pace $10m and Bart Scott $11.5m.

The ‘only covering one receiver’ argument – to an extent that’s a valid point, but you can equally say that on any given play the left tackle is only blocking one player. In the case of the Jets and Revis, it’s the schematic freedom and versatility he allows them that adds value over and above the guy he’s covering.

And I too question the sustainability of Revis’ performance, he won’t be able to match last year for the simple reason that he isn’t going to be the 5th most targeted corner in the league going forward. On these points though, if this is how the Jets feel, then why did they make him out to be such a great and valuable player in the first place?

You can't have it both ways. The Jets have helped to create the hype. This is a part of that baggage.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 13.08.2010, 03:37 PM
Clint Session!'s Avatar
Clint Session! Clint Session! is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 13.12.2009
Posts: 2,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
If the Jets don’t value the position very highly or rate him in that bracket then I’m a bit confused as to why his head coach has been making so much noise about what an incredible player he is.

If they think he’s the best defensive player in the league (which from listening to Ryan you would think they do), then there’s no reason you cannot pay $16m per year. Last year they paid Calvin Pace $10m and Bart Scott $11.5m.

The ‘only covering one receiver’ argument – to an extent that’s a valid point, but you can equally say that on any given play the left tackle is only blocking one player. In the case of the Jets and Revis, it’s the schematic freedom and versatility he allows them that adds value over and above the guy he’s covering.

And I too question the sustainability of Revis’ performance, he won’t be able to match last year for the simple reason that he isn’t going to be the 5th most targeted corner in the league going forward. On these points though, if this is how the Jets feel, then why did they make him out to be such a great and valuable player in the first place?

You can't have it both ways. The Jets have helped to create the hype. This is a part of that baggage.
i do agree the jets owe it to revis to give him a large deal, but i just think $16 million is out of the question. $12 mil a year is still an incredible deal but revis' head is still too far up his own backside.

you mention that they paid $10 million odds to players on the defense, but do they get that every year? i somewhat doubt it. the average of the contract is probably a fair bit lower. I dont think anyone disagrees with the notion revis deserves a big deal, not even the jets, but $16 million a year? sorry, thats ridiculous.

as to why rex said those things, well, hes just a bit of a simpleton he probably didnt think it through, he was too busy trash talking, "sexy rexy" seems to think hes a fan and a coach, but now hes learning the hard why you have to be a bit more reserved.

Last edited by Clint Session!; 13.08.2010 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 13.08.2010, 04:15 PM
transmetropolitan's Avatar
transmetropolitan transmetropolitan is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.10.2008
Posts: 1,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Session! View Post
i do agree the jets owe it to revis to give him a large deal, but i just think $16 million is out of the question. $12 mil a year is still an incredible deal but revis' head is still too far up his own backside.

you mention that they paid $10 million odds to players on the defense, but do they get that every year? i somewhat doubt it. the average of the contract is probably a fair bit lower. I dont think anyone disagrees with the notion revis deserves a big deal, not even the jets, but $16 million a year? sorry, thats ridiculous.

as to why rex said those things, well, hes just a bit of a simpleton he probably didnt think it through, he was too busy trash talking, "sexy rexy" seems to think hes a fan and a coach, but now hes learning the hard why you have to be a bit more reserved.
The Raiders are paying Asomugha $15m per year. I think to describe $16m in that context as 'ridiculous' or 'out of the question' is a bit harsh.

If they're talking about a 10 year deal or something, then it needs to be blockbuster from an average point of view. $16m seems like a lot now, but in 5 years time, not so much. Asomugha's 3 year deal sees him back on the market at its conclusion. That's worth something over and above the dollar value.

10 years ago the highest paid player in the league was Drew Bledsoe on $8.5m. If you're talking about an 8 or 10 year contract, it needs to be a bit mindblowing. Sure, it may well get renegotiated at a later date, but they should still get 5 years on this contract at that kind of rate - which over the course of that time will be an OK value assuming the player continues to perform.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 13.08.2010, 07:40 PM
Martibhoy's Avatar
Martibhoy Martibhoy is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 15.01.2010
Posts: 83
Default

I would pay him, but that could cause resentment in the locker room, but thats Rex job to sort out.




EDIT: Hello everyone

Last edited by Martibhoy; 13.08.2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to say hello :)
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 15.08.2010, 04:56 PM
Clint Session!'s Avatar
Clint Session! Clint Session! is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 13.12.2009
Posts: 2,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
The Raiders are paying Asomugha $15m per year. I think to describe $16m in that context as 'ridiculous' or 'out of the question' is a bit harsh.

If they're talking about a 10 year deal or something, then it needs to be blockbuster from an average point of view. $16m seems like a lot now, but in 5 years time, not so much. Asomugha's 3 year deal sees him back on the market at its conclusion. That's worth something over and above the dollar value.

10 years ago the highest paid player in the league was Drew Bledsoe on $8.5m. If you're talking about an 8 or 10 year contract, it needs to be a bit mindblowing. Sure, it may well get renegotiated at a later date, but they should still get 5 years on this contract at that kind of rate - which over the course of that time will be an OK value assuming the player continues to perform.
its really hard to say asomughas contract is the going rate. al jumped the value of the position prematurely, and now its an ego thing for revis to get paid more than him. this entire situation (and many contract situations in pro sports actually) are not actually focused on the money (well not totally) but on getting the team to prove they value a player as the best at his position in the sport. they want to be the highest paid, it makes them feel more like the best, and it makes them feel wanted.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jets , pay da man , revis

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 10:44 AM.