The Cricket Thread - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 01.06.2011, 11:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancer View Post
what do you guys think about trotts scoring rate? a few people have been complaining he is too slow, i dont see a problem it is test cricket after all so long as he is making runs he can score at what ever pace he wants, it can be a bit slow when he is batting with cook but it is at the start of an innings anyway when you are looking to build the innings and not lose wickets.
I read sumwhere that boycott critisised his run rate lol
It's a stupid criticism brought up by those who don't understand the game. Scoring rates are largely irrelevant in Test cricket, and his is hardly 20. Trott's strike rate is 48. Compare that to Jaques Kallis, possibly the best batsman on the past decade, at 45.

Besides, he has shown that he can score at a run a ball if he needs to. Same with Cook, he's not a slow player. It's just that neither are big hitters in the Pietersen/Morgan mould, so therefore they are labelled slow and boring.

Give me a side of Trotts and Cooks any day.
Old 02.06.2011, 09:07 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
It's a stupid criticism brought up by those who don't understand the game. Scoring rates are largely irrelevant in Test cricket, and his is hardly 20. Trott's strike rate is 48. Compare that to Jaques Kallis, possibly the best batsman on the past decade, at 45.

Besides, he has shown that he can score at a run a ball if he needs to. Same with Cook, he's not a slow player. It's just that neither are big hitters in the Pietersen/Morgan mould, so therefore they are labelled slow and boring.

Give me a side of Trotts and Cooks any day.
Agree with all of that. Especially as we have one or two dashers down the order in Morgan and Swann.

Whats everyones opinion on Morgan? Its very early days but at the moment I think hes a bit of a poor mans Neil Fairbrother. It will be interesting to see how he does against better bowlers later in the summer. Providing of course that he doesn't keep coming in at 400/4!
Old 02.06.2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Unhappy

Morgan's getting a much fairer shake at carving out an international career than poor old Harvey ever got.

I remember his test debut at Old Trafford. It was a late start on a very gloomy day and Neil was sent out up the order and in the dark to face a brisk Pakistani attack just because captain (and supposed No.3) David Gower either didn't fancy it or had already left for a dinner engagement.
Old 03.06.2011, 12:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_bart View Post
Agree with all of that. Especially as we have one or two dashers down the order in Morgan and Swann.

Whats everyones opinion on Morgan? Its very early days but at the moment I think hes a bit of a poor mans Neil Fairbrother. It will be interesting to see how he does against better bowlers later in the summer. Providing of course that he doesn't keep coming in at 400/4!
He certainly has a lot of talent, whether he can translate that talent for shot-making into the Test game and bring in the patience and determination needed to be a Test match star is the big question. From what I've seen I'm sure he'll get the chances, and batting at six should be an advantage with the quality we have at the top of the order.

I don't ever see him becoming a top class batsman in Test match cricket, but as a number six I expect him to carve out a decent career.
Old 24.07.2011, 07:41 PM
MVP

Thought I'd dig this thread out.

Cracking first test against India, should be a brilliant final day.
Old 24.07.2011, 07:46 PM
All Pro

Agreed, its set up for a cracking last day. Englands tail has more Wag than the football team under Sven.
Old 24.07.2011, 07:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Should be a cracking final day. One point though, picking up on posts made weeks ago before the bump up, I'm starting to think we should at least consider alternatives to Morgan. He has made a couple of decent scores, but has also had a few single digit scores and the shot he got out to today was pretty shocking - especially so in the circumstances - thankfully Prior and Broad saved the day and put us back in control.

I suppose it's only right to persevere for the rest of the summer, but we should probably start thinking about the next cab off the rank. Presumably we take a reserve bat on the winter tours - question is do we go back to someone like Bopara or look ahead to some of the other names breaking through like Hildreth or Hales.
Old 24.07.2011, 08:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Should be a cracking final day. One point though, picking up on posts made weeks ago before the bump up, I'm starting to think we should at least consider alternatives to Morgan. He has made a couple of decent scores, but has also had a few single digit scores and the shot he got out to today was pretty shocking - especially so in the circumstances - thankfully Prior and Broad saved the day and put us back in control.

I suppose it's only right to persevere for the rest of the summer, but we should probably start thinking about the next cab off the rank. Presumably we take a reserve bat on the winter tours - question is do we go back to someone like Bopara or look ahead to some of the other names breaking through like Hildreth or Hales.
Hildreth deserves to be next in line. Bopara has had so many chances to make an impression, both in Tests and for the Lions, and he hasn't been able to. He hasn't exactly lit it up in Essex this year either. Hildreth deserves the next shot at it.
Old 25.07.2011, 10:57 AM
All Pro

This takes me back to the great Ashes series of 05. Packed stadiums and two great cricket sides. You cannot beat Test match cricket.
Old 25.07.2011, 12:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
Hildreth deserves to be next in line. Bopara has had so many chances to make an impression, both in Tests and for the Lions, and he hasn't been able to. He hasn't exactly lit it up in Essex this year either. Hildreth deserves the next shot at it.
Agreed that Bopara has had enough chances, I also think it's time to move on, if we look for alternatives to Morgan. Morgan will have this series though to prove himself, needs a big score at some stage top stop the questions.

Prior to me is the #1 wk/bat in the world now. His batting is assertive, never allows attacks to get on top of him and makes big runs often in pressure situations like yesterday.

Test is beautifully poised at lunch - Tendulkar could still get his ton, even if he does, we could still win. I think an India win is now out of the question though, they lost too many wickets in this morning's session to be set up for a chase.

Half tempted to take 1/2 a day off work and watch it...