Bears re-sign Cutler - Page 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 02.01.2014, 07:06 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungakid View Post
I dont think we wouldve got more money elsewhere. I was trying to think were he might have a got better deal and i could only see the jets as maybe. Who else wouldve taken him
There are several teams you could quite easily make an argument for regarding upgrading their QB position:

Texans
Jags
Browns
Raiders
Vikes
Titans
Jets

I think they would have all been in play had Cutler hit the market. You could also make an argument for the Rams and the Buccs too.

But how many would have appealed to Cutler? Texans definitely, but after that? He'll be 31 by opening day and if he wants to win a Championship, as surely he must, then he's not exactly spoiled for choice.

It's a solid deal for both here, based on potential, possibility and the market.
Old 02.01.2014, 07:09 PM
GOAT

Ian Rapoport:

Quote:
QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed
Old 02.01.2014, 07:18 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
There are several teams you could quite easily make an argument for regarding upgrading their QB position:

Texans
Jags
Browns
Raiders
Vikes
Titans
Jets

I think they would have all been in play had Cutler hit the market. You could also make an argument for the Rams and the Buccs too.

But how many would have appealed to Cutler? Texans definitely, but after that? He'll be 31 by opening day and if he wants to win a Championship, as surely he must, then he's not exactly spoiled for choice.

It's a solid deal for both here, based on potential, possibility and the market.
Sorry thats what i meant. The bears give him the best chance to win in the next few years. He's got the weapons to do it. Jeffery forte marshall. So he's got plenty of help. If they can fix a few things on defence i think theyve a great chance to win in the next couple of seasons.
Old 02.01.2014, 07:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
Ian Rapoport:
QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed
love it. he got romo money. who are the geniuses giving these aging average qb's all this money?

Last edited by Dawkins#20; 02.01.2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02.01.2014, 08:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawkins#20 View Post
love it. he got romo money. who are the geniuses giving these aging average qb's all this money?
As was said previously on this thread...you may aswell drag an offense in off the street if you have a poor QB under centre because you wont have a chance of winning anything.

Get a top 15 type of QB, give him weapons, a solid D on the other side of the ball, and that's a combination that could be a potential winner.
Old 02.01.2014, 08:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
As was said previously on this thread...you may aswell drag an offense in off the street if you have a poor QB under centre because you wont have a chance of winning anything.

Get a top 15 type of QB, give him weapons, a solid D on the other side of the ball, and that's a combination that could be a potential winner.
how on earth are you going to afford to put all that around your average qb if you pay him top 5 qb money? also look what alex smith is going in KC.

you guys had 28 players becoming free agents next year. how much of the cap is cutler going to eat and how many of those are getting resigned? cutler got paid but half you roster is walking out the door to other teams currently.
Old 02.01.2014, 08:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
how on earth are you going to afford to put all that around your average qb if you pay him top 5 qb money? also look what alex smith is going in KC.

you guys had 28 players becoming free agents next year. how much of the cap is cutler going to eat and how many of those are getting resigned? cutler got paid but half you roster is walking out the door to other teams currently.
Half the team is walking out the door..like who?? They re-signed three today, another two earlier in the week, and the Wildcards haven't even started yet.

The 18m hit this season will be basically what Peppers would have been earning, as he hits the road instead.

Last edited by Danny Bear; 02.01.2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02.01.2014, 08:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Half the team is walking out the door..like who?? They re-signed three today, another two earlier in the week, and the Wildcards haven't even started yet.

The 18m hit this season will be basically what Peppers would have been earning, as he hits the road instead.
for a start the cap doesn't work that way. cutting peppers saves you 10m and he still counts as 8m against the cap and cutlers cap hit isn't going to be 18m it will probably be a lot higher than that as they want generally front load a contract so a player can get cut towards the end of his contract without taking a big cap hit.

As for free agents it's basically most of your defense, even with recent signing you still have 17 players on defense to sign if the list I'm looking at is correct.
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/art...a-b63fcdfd7096

brandon marshall is entering his last year of his deal as well, so he either gets paid this off season or he's gone/franchised

Last edited by Dawkins#20; 02.01.2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02.01.2014, 09:07 PM
Starter

I don't think the figure will be much if any higher than $18m.

Also, if we can get Peppers to sign a contract with a salary of around $5m it will actually save us money.
Even if we release him he counts about $8m against the cap so if we can re-do his contract for about $5m he'll count the same against the cap as if we release him but we don't need a replacement so we'll save that salary.
Old 02.01.2014, 09:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Average? Choking aside, i'ts a bit harsh to say Romo is 'average'. Plus, depends how the guaranteed money is spread throughout the contract. I think Romo's was front loaded, $40m over the first 3 years. As for the cap hit per year, the top 10 QB cap hits for next year range from $16m to $22m, so Cutler probably lands slap bang in the middle of that, his contract was to be expected no matter where he signed.