2014 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread - Page 50 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

  #491  
Old 02.01.2014, 06:59 PM
duesouth10's Avatar
duesouth10 duesouth10 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.11.2008
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Someone who has really impressed me on tape is QB Jimmy Garoppolo at Eastern Illinois.

Not the elite athlete that so many are looking for but he is surprisingly deceptive between the hash marks, and showed the ability to escape pressure and find a man despite his line failing around him.

He also reads his receivers well and often finds his second and third option. However he does have a bad tendency to look down his primary on hot routs and slants which would definitely have to be worked on.

Most impressively was his accuracy with the ball on side line passes between 12 and 20 yards (or the soft spot in a zone D). He appears to have a great touch to those passes.

I reckon he could rise from his mid round status to be a lower 1 or high 2 in the draft.
What he needs to go that high is a Senior Bowl invitation - at the moment he doesn't have one - he has to hope McCarron declines his to open up a spot (Boyd, Carr, Fales, Morris and Thomas are the 5 confirmed - now I would have put him in ahead of Fales...). Got a couple more games to watch, but right now I have a borderline top 100 grade on him.
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 02.01.2014, 07:12 PM
Razors Edge's Avatar
Razors Edge Razors Edge is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 13.11.2005
Posts: 21,295
Default

McCarron has declined his Senior Bowl invite Paul (stupidly, IMO).

Big fan of Garoppolo.
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 02.01.2014, 07:59 PM
Razors Edge's Avatar
Razors Edge Razors Edge is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 13.11.2005
Posts: 21,295
Default

Allen Robinson has declared.

Big fan....
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 03.01.2014, 06:37 AM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
What he needs to go that high is a Senior Bowl invitation - at the moment he doesn't have one - he has to hope McCarron declines his to open up a spot (Boyd, Carr, Fales, Morris and Thomas are the 5 confirmed - now I would have put him in ahead of Fales...). Got a couple more games to watch, but right now I have a borderline top 100 grade on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
McCarron has declined his Senior Bowl invite Paul (stupidly, IMO).

Big fan of Garoppolo.
It does appear to be confirmed that McCarron has turned down his invite. Surely Garoppolo will be next in line for an invite?

However, I do wonder if scouts will be more nervous of QBs who excel at the senior bowl after Tyler Wilson last year. Although I think turning it down, as in the McCarron case, is going to create a worse hit on his reputation.
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old 03.01.2014, 01:37 PM
chris caulfield's Avatar
chris caulfield chris caulfield is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.12.2008
Posts: 4,594
Default

What are your thoughts on Isaiah Lewis the safety for Michigan State?
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old 03.01.2014, 02:07 PM
oglalakev oglalakev is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 20.11.2005
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
It does appear to be confirmed that McCarron has turned down his invite. Surely Garoppolo will be next in line for an invite?

However, I do wonder if scouts will be more nervous of QBs who excel at the senior bowl after Tyler Wilson last year. Although I think turning it down, as in the McCarron case, is going to create a worse hit on his reputation.
I don't recall Wilson impressing at the senior bowl, I certainly didn't come away impressed with what I saw. Even if he did make a positive impression on the Raiders, they still only took him in the 4th, so they weren't mad about his play.
Of all the senior bowl QBs last year, the only one who I felt enhanced his stock was EJ Manuel. Manuel had the most impressive raw talent in the draft class but his play at FSU was just poor and he showed no signs of progressing as a QB at all, either he received little coaching or just wasn't responding to it. He looked a day 3 flier of a QB who could be good if the right coach can work with him, but would probably just frustrate. At the senior bowl he showed he could indeed be coached, improving each day and taking the lessons on board and that probably gave Buffalo the confidence to draft him ridiculously early.
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 03.01.2014, 02:28 PM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglalakev View Post
I don't recall Wilson impressing at the senior bowl, I certainly didn't come away impressed with what I saw. Even if he did make a positive impression on the Raiders, they still only took him in the 4th, so they weren't mad about his play.
Of all the senior bowl QBs last year, the only one who I felt enhanced his stock was EJ Manuel. Manuel had the most impressive raw talent in the draft class but his play at FSU was just poor and he showed no signs of progressing as a QB at all, either he received little coaching or just wasn't responding to it. He looked a day 3 flier of a QB who could be good if the right coach can work with him, but would probably just frustrate. At the senior bowl he showed he could indeed be coached, improving each day and taking the lessons on board and that probably gave Buffalo the confidence to draft him ridiculously early.
There was a litany of Tyler Wilson impresses in Senior Bowl week and then he bombed in the actual game. This reinforced the game film. What I badly explained (it was an early morning post) was that it really should pay to the idea that an impressive senior bowl should not (and is likely not to have as much) effect on where someone is drafted.
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 03.01.2014, 03:39 PM
oglalakev oglalakev is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 20.11.2005
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
There was a litany of Tyler Wilson impresses in Senior Bowl week and then he bombed in the actual game. This reinforced the game film. What I badly explained (it was an early morning post) was that it really should pay to the idea that an impressive senior bowl should not (and is likely not to have as much) effect on where someone is drafted.
I think it can be useful, certainly from a casual draft follower's perspective, there is nothing else that comes after end of the season that can show more about a prospect than the practices for the all-star matches. However teams need to make a far more informed opinion of the player than that, but if something from the practices confirms something in their minds, or perhaps answers a worrying question, then it could make a bigger impact.
I seem to recall four of the QBs getting positive press from certain people, Glennon, Nassib, Manuel and Wilson, in each case the one(s) being praised were the highest ranked by that evaluator beforehand, and the ones being slated were the negatively ranked ones. I get very wary that too many of the writers either have some weird agenda of pushing up the guys they liked, or a blind spot based upon their own ratings. For instance a Glennon fan might have talked about a couple of throws that really showcased his arm strength, while a naysayer might have pointed out the off target throws he was making in practice. In both cases the writer is failing to be objective and only finding the aspects that agreed with their opinion prior to the event.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 03.01.2014, 05:46 PM
duesouth10's Avatar
duesouth10 duesouth10 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.11.2008
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
McCarron has declined his Senior Bowl invite Paul (stupidly, IMO).

Big fan of Garoppolo.
Needed a good Senior Bowl week after the Oklahoma game especially.
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 03.01.2014, 05:46 PM
duesouth10's Avatar
duesouth10 duesouth10 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.11.2008
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
Allen Robinson has declared.

Big fan....
Not a surprise - I really like him as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 12:02 PM.