Kaepernick gets 6yr/$110m extension - Page 40 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 12.06.2014, 02:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
exactly and when the chips where down and the Hawks needed to win the championship and then SB Wilson did whatever was needed and Kap didnt for the Niners, its a harsh way at looking at it without doubt and i think its clear that i personally wouldnt view it that way but that is how i imagine the OP was meaning it
Manning didn't go out and do what was needed. Therefore he is not worth 110m with 13m guaranteed.
Old 12.06.2014, 02:22 AM
MVP

Cam Newton recently quoted as saying he doesn't want a 'Kaepernick style contract'. Meaning he wants a high dollar amount and high guarantees with not much money tied to incentives and a high cap hit that makes him impossible to trade or cut.
Old 12.06.2014, 02:32 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengar View Post
Cam Newton recently quoted as saying he doesn't want a 'Kaepernick style contract'. Meaning he wants a high dollar amount and high guarantees with not much money tied to incentives and a high cap hit that makes him impossible to trade or cut.
That says a lot, doesn't it?
Old 12.06.2014, 04:37 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
For me, the difference between Luck and Kaepernick is that Luck has made his wide receivers better where Kaepernick hasn't.

This does have something to do with one's experience with a pro style O but that does not tell the whole story.

TY Hilton is certainly a much richer man because of Luck.

That looks like you are measuring or at least commenting based on opposite sides of the same measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
The answer to that has to be 'don't know' rather than 'no'.
Surely then this same measure has to be applied to Kaepernick as well?
Old 12.06.2014, 04:39 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Are you going to clarify what you meant exactly by the term foreigners?
What is hard to understand? Its a UK forum. Anyone here who is OUTSIDE the UK is a foreigner aren't they?

And in the context of my OP its a perfectly reasonable comment and in no way offensive to anyone. All folks have to do is read and not make sweeping assumptions based on their own moral compass. Like the clown posting about the 9ers having "foreigners" in their team. I mean, unless he knows something I dont, are 9ers players posting on the NFLUK forums?

Tell me though. Even just taking the last few pages on this thread alone, One post of mine, in an attempt to defuse tensions and misunderstandings between myself and Packman, has been deliberately taken out of context, Ive been subject to veiled threats and personal abuse, without any hint of a similar response, yet I am the one who has to "explain" myself?

How is that considered fair and even treatment? Not to mention the destruction of a decent thread about QB contracts.

Last edited by cornhusker44; 12.06.2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12.06.2014, 04:40 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMEFIELD View Post
I would like to hear his reply too.
You are OK. Just. Being from Yorkshire does mean that our "special relationship" has been often strained over the years
Old 12.06.2014, 04:43 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
I wouldn't entire agree with the OP, as a 'right to ask for' is really determined by almost always the market and how strong the player and team's positions are. Each is slightly different so straight comparisons are difficult.

The tier of contracts that Luck/Wilson/Kaepernick have/will come into are ones who've reached/won/can get you to a SB or put up top stats, but not both (or a medium ability at both etc). Kaepernick and Wilson fall into that second group for me, where the likes of Stafford, Cutler lie.

As for Luck, it's a case of predicting the landscape in three seasons' time (after the Colts take up their 5th year option) which frankly is a bit of a punt. If he continues his trajectory and given the cap increasing, he could easily outstrip Rodgers' year pay - because another team certainly would do.

...which is a really long rambling way of saying all contracts are individual, 'of the time' and terribly hard to compare.
Bingo. Good post. That's exactly right, making generalizations about QB contracts based on the latest version is really not going anywhere. They are "of the moment". All that can be certain is that as each contract comes up for negotiation, the performance, potential and context of the team/player will mean that contract is specific to that QB at that time.
Old 12.06.2014, 04:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Fair enough but would you then give Brady a bigger contract than a Manning or a Montana more than Marino because you would be giving them it based on SB wins and not based on talent.

I personally dont think either Kap or Wilson have done enough yet to justify a contract that Kap was offered
And that's fair enough too. My view on the QB contract situation in general is fairly simple. If you get one that may possibly be the franchise for the next 10 years, you are crazy if you dont sign him up. The cost financially is largely irrelevant. You only have to consider the alternatives: Write off a few seasons, buy a ticket in the draft hope that the franchise guy is sat there and that he works out.

For me, Kaepernick has the potential to be elite. Do the 9ers not pay him, lose him and start over? Or do they sign him up, hope the potential bears fruit and pay the contract?

That goes back to the early part of this thread where most folks seemed to agree that maybe there are 20 -25 teams who would swap their current incumbent for Kaepernick.
Old 12.06.2014, 05:01 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 View Post
That says a lot, doesn't it?
It says much more about Kaepernick and his mindset. - Team
Cam - me

But if you look at Cam's track record, its always been about "me"
Old 12.06.2014, 06:06 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Are you going to clarify what you meant exactly by the term foreigners?
He means me! I'm the big bad foreign guy.
Quote:
No-one has to agree or even see eye to eye on here. But when the debate gets heated, I dont go running to Mr Moderator to tell the "nasty man in the 9ers hat" off either. Plenty do. Usually the kids or the foreigners. But almost all of them are allowed to say anything in this big happy family that if NFLUK. Fair and equal treatment simply doesnt happen here. That's fact.
Although I've never complained about anyone to any mods...(I've complained about the mods - but not complained about any poster.) And I've never put any poster on a block list - because that's just stupid. (Was close with Purple Lion...but that storm was weathered.)

Cornhusker is a longtime regular...posted enough...he's fine and contributed a lot to discussions...he's alright as another guy at the bar...just talking strong opinion Niner talk and QBs - defending his guy - I don't know why he's taking so much flak for a throwaway line in a post.

It seems Niner fans take a little extra heat on this forum the last two years b/c they've been so good...People complain about bragging but I seriously don't see that much bragging but I see the backlash. Every game thread...so anti-Niner in the playoffs...and always calling out the posters.

But what do I know? I'm a foreigner.

"Can't we all get along?" - Rodney King

Tags
.down with tags! , kaep a tat tat , leopard , mademybednow , remember this , spots , terracotta army