The FIFA 2014 World Cup. - Page 252 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 21.06.2014, 11:06 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
The refs seem to be under orders not to 'interfere' with, or 'spoil', the game. They are steering clear of making big match changing decisions unless they are a) unavoidable. b) help Brazil win a match.
i think, like in league games, some refs need pens to be stick ons and others just need to see a slight foul.

tbf i think Cameroon have had the most help so far

the one that got me was the lack of a red for Godin, given how blatant the foul was and before the game it was stated that the ref was card happy.
Old 21.06.2014, 11:22 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierika View Post
Can someone tell me how an Italian player pretty much tackles a Costa Rican player in the penalty area and it isnt a foul??? Im having a blast watching this but some of the calls/non-calls absolutely blow my mind.
In South America, they tend to disagree with the ref using a gun. It's a miracle all the refs are still alive after some of the terrible decisions they've made.
Old 21.06.2014, 12:39 PM
Hall of Fame

Would be funny if we end up with less points than Iran....
Old 21.06.2014, 12:43 PM
All Pro

Looking forward to today's games especially the one featuring the worlds best player, I'm talking about Shola Ameobi for the record not Messi.
Old 21.06.2014, 01:50 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMackem View Post
Would be funny if we end up with less points than Iran....
its just those damn Costa Ricans showing us how it should be done, you could argue that we knacked Italy out and that Uruguay made key changes to personnel and system for our game.

for me theres no shame in losing to those to sides and although we didnt play that well, it was still better than i expected.
Old 21.06.2014, 01:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
its just those damn Costa Ricans showing us how it should be done, you could argue that we knacked Italy out and that Uruguay made key changes to personnel and system for our game.

for me theres no shame in losing to those to sides and although we didnt play that well, it was still better than i expected.
Costa Rica defend really well - Italians really didn't make any chances particularly second half.
Like against England, Italy ran out of steam after 70 minutes.
Old 21.06.2014, 02:15 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Costa Rica defend really well - Italians really didn't make any chances particularly second half.
Like against England, Italy ran out of steam after 70 minutes.
they also take there chances, which is key at this level.

tbh Italy didnt need to do anything else, they had the lead and we didnt have the ability to trouble them.

most of the time we have decent expectations, crash out on pens and think what could of been. but at least time we knew we were poor, proved it and didnt drag it out.

the only thing i will miss is the tension you feel watching an England game.
Old 21.06.2014, 03:45 PM
MVP

OK so I've browsed a little of the media criticism of England. A lot of it is ignoring the problem. Its nothing to do with white van men and what size pitch 11 year olds play on. Its not about lack of quality or even lack of technical ability. Its about the senior players and the manager. Teams with lower quality players and equal or lower technical ability regularly do as well as England. We played a formation which didn't really suit us as let us get overrun in the Center of the park. Reminds if Keegan not having the sense to see Ince and Batty would get overrun by three Portuguese central midfielers 14 years ago. We should never have left Sterling or Rooney as responsible for covering Gerrard and Henderson. Lampard has almost always played in midfield 3, Gerrard has too. Why they've been so rarely played together in the Center of the park with someone behind them is a mystery. Lampard has pretty much always played the role of a midfielder replacing a Center forward very successfully, Gerrard's best box to box days are behind him but he can still lay deep and then push on as needed, like Scholes used to, just don't expect him to do that without some real help. We don't have any midfielder who is an obvious candidate for the Makelele role, but having Gerrard and Henderson take turns was never going to lead to success. It would've made more sense to play Phil Jones or another defender there. We know Gerrard has never played well in a central midfield two both from his time with England and Roy's spell at Liverpool.

Other than formation the problem is the players just don't seem to posses a winning mentality. I think this is due to expectations consistently being too high and players being afraid. Gerrard basically had to apologise to the press after 2010, why? He was trying his best. Footballers get a ridiculous amount of abuse. People dehumanise them because of their stratospheric wages, they're still people.

I wanted Van Gaal appointed after Capello. He doesn't take any crap, couldn't care less about the press and insists on a style of football that's conducive to success at international level. At the time his stock was low, he'd run Bayern into the ground. He did also have a glittering career before that. Now he's man utd manager and we're stuck with a competent manager who for whatever reason just doesn't seem to have a tactical plan for the teams we're facing.
Old 21.06.2014, 03:59 PM
All Pro

I absolutely hate argentina
Old 21.06.2014, 04:30 PM
MVP

Argentina are uninventive so far. Movement off the ball is poor for such a talented bunch. The Islamic Republic of Iran aren't offering much going forward but solid at the back so far. Just need to find a way to hold on to the ball.

Last edited by Gengar; 21.06.2014 at 04:40 PM.