The FIFA 2014 World Cup. - Page 262 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 22.06.2014, 03:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
at best they are annoying, at worse they draw you to anger with stupid comments (looking at you Danny Murphy.)

i'm struggling to come up with one decent name on comms, at least in the studio Rios been ok and you get the odd comment from someone else.
I like Henry & Seedorf and Rio although nowhere near Gary Nev quality has shown there can be redemption for ex ManU players.

On ITV Viera and that's about it. Martin O' Neill who I used to like on the Beeb is now in crazy old grandad role, shame really as he used to be insightful and give contrary but often correct analysis.

Savage is nothing but a shock jock.

What it does show is this over reliance on ex pros is outdated. I wonder what it would be like to have someone like Jonathan Wilson dissect a game. Those who listen to the Guardian podcasts and read The Blizzard would be familiar with him. Never happen though.

At least next months issue of When Saturday Comes will be good. They always rundown each WC game complete with comment on the comms. A lot of material for them this year.
Old 22.06.2014, 03:43 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Should have clipped him round the ear too!.......and his little lieutenant too, they're an odd couple.
Nice comment about the oldest boyband in town from the commentator last night
Old 22.06.2014, 03:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
I like Henry & Seedorf and Rio although nowhere near Gary Nev quality has shown there can be redemption for ex ManU players.

On ITV Viera and that's about it. Martin O' Neill who I used to like on the Beeb is now in crazy old grandad role, shame really as he used to be insightful and give contrary but often correct analysis.

Savage is nothing but a shock jock.

What it does show is this over reliance on ex pros is outdated. I wonder what it would be like to have someone like Jonathan Wilson dissect a game. Those who listen to the Guardian podcasts and read The Blizzard would be familiar with him. Never happen though.

At least next months issue of When Saturday Comes will be good. They always rundown each WC game complete with comment on the comms. A lot of material for them this year.
Henry and Seedorf are the better pundits. Hanson has actually been pretty good since he returned midway through the tourney so far.

Keown is the best co commentator for me, and Guy Mowbray the best commentator.
Old 22.06.2014, 03:59 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMackem View Post
Henry and Seedorf are the better pundits. Hanson has actually been pretty good since he returned midway through the tourney so far.

Keown is the best co commentator for me, and Guy Mowbray the best commentator.
although its not much a competition (i cant pick a best, the've all been so poor) but not being able to see him is a bonus
Old 22.06.2014, 03:59 PM
Hall of Fame

I used to regard Akinfeev highly, but I never watch Russian League so obviously his terrible handling passed me by.

I'm wary of players from countries with less developed and prestigious leagues who decide to stay put rather than head to the likes of England, Spain, Germany etc.

Apparently the reason for Donovan being left out of the USA squad was Klinnsmann wanted to send a message that staying in the MLS rather than try your hand in Europe shouldn't be the ambition of his players.
Old 22.06.2014, 04:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
although its not much a competition (i cant pick a best, the've all been so poor) but not being able to see him is a bonus
Keown is like an average girl who doesn't get on your nerves so you'll go out with her until someone you really like comes along. A steady Eddie
Old 22.06.2014, 04:05 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMackem View Post
Keown is like an average girl who doesn't get on your nerves so you'll go out with her until someone you really like comes along. A steady Eddie
he still gets on my nerves a little but he tends to be inoffensive and doesnt have an annoying accent, so you sum him up well.
Old 22.06.2014, 04:30 PM
GOAT

A sensational tournament so far, probably the most entertaining World Cup I've seen in my 30+ years.

France have probably been the pick of the bunch so far although there are questions over the quality of their opposition. Chile and Colombia have been by far the most attractive though, I'd love to see one of those go deep into the tournament.

The quality of football on show has been a joy to watch; even more the commitment to attacking football that almost all of the teams have displayed. Hopefully this will mean we see more open games next season.

As for England.....utter pony.

It starts at ground level and until we see more coaches, smaller groups and sessions where players are simply taught to keep the ball and treat it like a favourite toy they don't want to give away, and we move away from the dark age we're still in over here, despite protestations from some quarters, England will never, ever be anything other than also-rans.

We think we know tactics, and determination, and spirit, and courage - we don't.
Old 22.06.2014, 04:56 PM
MVP

Lukaku seems like he doesnt care in the slightest
Old 22.06.2014, 04:56 PM
Hall of Fame