The FIFA 2014 World Cup. - Page 489 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 08.07.2014, 10:34 PM
MVP

Why do England need to even be compared really lol, we went home with our tails between our legs two weeks ago, we've now moved on from that predictable disappointment but this isn't something that anyone will move on from for a long long time and especially not Brazilians
Old 08.07.2014, 10:37 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
England had it easy with the press, they were getting praise after the Italy game. A 2-1 loss in which the opposition also hit the woodwork twice.

Praise.

England would have been lambasted in the past after that game. Turnip heads and wallies with brollies would all have been joined by another punchy headline.

I've never seen an England team get away so lightly from the media after limping out in the first round of a tournament.
they got some praise and some negative (some players got it worse than others) but again its based against expectations.

still if i have a choice i would take us meeting expectations (which we did) over Brazil getting to the Semis and then getting taken to the woodshed.
Old 08.07.2014, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBronco View Post
Why do England need to even be compared really lol, we went home with our tails between our legs two weeks ago, we've now moved on from that predictable disappointment but this isn't something that anyone will move on from for a long long time and especially not Brazilians
They can move on, just like Germany did. Draw a line under it, learn from it, get better.

Germany came back from their humiliation well, they reached the World Cup final the following summer. Depends on how you choose to deal with it.

England buried their head in the sand after their 4-1 World Cup loss and talked about Frank Lampard and goal line technology, and blamed officials etc and haven't got any better.

Such is life.
Old 08.07.2014, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
they got some praise and some negative (some players got it worse than others) but again its based against expectations.

still if i have a choice i would take us meeting expectations (which we did) over Brazil getting to the Semis and then getting taken to the woodshed.
Our expectations were a single point and the first plane home? I don't think so.

Most in the media had us in the second round at least. I predicted three draws and an early exit. They disappointed even me.
Old 08.07.2014, 10:41 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
England had it easy with the press, they were getting praise after the Italy game. A 2-1 loss in which the opposition also hit the woodwork twice.

Praise.

England would have been lambasted in the past after that game. Turnip heads and wallies with brollies would all have been joined by another punchy headline.

I've never seen an England team get away so lightly from the media after limping out in the first round of a tournament.
Don't know where you get that,England cart-horsed their way to a 0-0 at Italy to qualify for world cup 98 and the press called them cultured matured heroes,you could have switched that 97 team for Graham Taylor's and wouldn't have known the difference so I wouldn't take much notice of the press.
I still think Holland are the best side and will win it all but we'll see.
Old 08.07.2014, 10:44 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Our expectations were a single point and the first plane home? I don't think so.

Most in the media had us in the second round at least. I predicted three draws and an early exit. They disappointed even me.
the media often spend time hoping rather than being realistic, i expected 0 pts.
Old 08.07.2014, 11:12 PM
Hall of Fame

I thought England played well, not great but well. I wasn't expecting much because i knew we were coming up against some world class players and that's what happened, pirlo and balla telly had their best game against us as did cavani and suraez, i don't know why anyone thought differently to be honest but clearly some did
Old 09.07.2014, 01:20 AM
MVP

I hear there's been a real clamour in Brazil to rip everything up and start again. Make sure kids get on a full size pitch younger. Parents will be prohibited from applauding kids for controlling and distributing the ball, as this inhibits their ability to clear the ball. Teams will focus more on height and physical presence than creativity and the drivers of yellow vans will be scapegoated for their backwards views.
Old 09.07.2014, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBronco View Post
Nah I really don't think this result can be minimised or passed off as a bad night. This is seriously gonna change the direction that Brazilian football goes for the foreseeable future, it may end up serving as a massive wake up call and they could come back stronger, but it's not something that will be forgotten in a few days, weeks, months, or even years. Make no mistake that there will be big ramifications from this match.
They still talk about the nightmare of 1950 vs Uruguay. Tim Vickery said this is much worse. Maybe I'm dreaming but after saying their failure in 1982 with a breathtaking team was the beginning of the end for free flowing Brazilian football, perhaps 2014 will the catalyst for a revival of jogo bonito.
Old 09.07.2014, 06:22 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
They still talk about the nightmare of 1950 vs Uruguay. Tim Vickery said this is much worse. Maybe I'm dreaming but after saying their failure in 1982 with a breathtaking team was the beginning of the end for free flowing Brazilian football, perhaps 2014 will the catalyst for a revival of jogo bonito.
I think the pragmatists will win over the purists by shifting to an even more European-centric style. They may well look at the German model of physicality, energy (in terms of closing down from the front) and two touch passing over dribbling, rather than go back to the days of 70 & 82.

What also helps is to have good players. It's easier to play that type of football with Zico, Socrates, Eder, Tostao, Gerson & Pele, not when you have this mob, and this is the best XI Scolari thinks he has......lots of work required.