Things to do in D.C - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 20.11.2014, 10:10 AM
All Pro

Default Things to do in D.C

A few of us are going to be in Washington over New Years. We don't have that many days so does anyone have any suggestions of what to do and where to go?. I could look online but I'd rather hear it from Brits that have been.

On the first day me and my brother are going to the Cowboys v Redskins game. Any advice for pre game, post game events as this is the only day we'll be able to go out and have a good time as our parents arrive the day after!. We are guessing it will be relatively quiet so close to Christmas, so our expectations are quite low.

Bens Chilli bowl is supposed to be good?.

On New Years Eve we are in Old Ebbitt Grill, if anyone has been.

Thanks.

Last edited by Monsieur Moose; 20.11.2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 20.11.2014, 03:31 PM
All Pro

I think the standard pastime after Redskins games is to sit in traffic for hours! FedEX Field is outsde the city and I don't think there's much to do around there. I was only ever at one game there but pre-game the tailgating is pretty good. I hooked up with a fan group via the web before hand (probably easier to do as a Washington fan as opposed to being an Eagle but tell them your hatred of the Cowboys and you'll probably be alright).

On your other days, it's nice to walk around the Washington Mall if you're into touristy kind of things. I'd inagine it'd be quite nice that time of year if there's a light snow covering. You can easily spend a day walking to all the sites.

The problem with Washingotn I found is that is that it seems to be a Monday to Friday city with a mass exodus of people at the weekends. Even parts of the city centre look dead after workers go home in the evening. I was only there the once though and didn't do much research beforehand so I presume there are others here who'll know where all the action is and where to go.
Old 20.11.2014, 04:10 PM
All Pro

Was there a few years ago, walking around the Mall is nice alright, all the monuments/memorials (Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Korean War, Vietnam War, Capitol building, White House) are all within walking distance of each other, and you're a short Metro ride from the likes of the Pentagon (where I got given out to by security for taking a picture of it ), Iwo Jima memorial and Arlington cemetary.

And the Smithsonian Air & Space museum was incredible, and free to enter too.
Old 01.12.2014, 12:12 PM
All Pro

Cheers!.

(10 characters)
Old 07.12.2014, 08:40 PM
MVP

Provide your own entertainment by going to the game wearing Eagles merchandise and booing both teams loudly.
Old 09.12.2014, 04:51 PM
Team Captain

If you like beer a great bar is the Bier Baron in DuPont Circle. It's got beers from everywhere and loads on tap. It's also got a small hotel attached to it.

Make sure you take I.d because they 100% I'd everyone in D.C. They don't care if you look older than God's dad. No I.d. No beer
Old 05.01.2015, 12:44 PM
All Pro

I've got the holiday blues. I want to go back!.

A great city and I'd live there in a heart beat.

So many sights and things going on and now I am back in South Wales

The historical aspect of it might put it above New York for me.

The Redskins game v the Cowboys turned out to be an entertaining one and I also went to a Wizards basketball game. Which was also interesting but we stuck out like saw thumbs.

And ye Guards we got asked for I.D absolutely everywhere!.
Old 13.01.2015, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Moose View Post
I've got the holiday blues. I want to go back!.

A great city and I'd live there in a heart beat.

So many sights and things going on and now I am back in South Wales

The historical aspect of it might put it above New York for me.

The Redskins game v the Cowboys turned out to be an entertaining one and I also went to a Wizards basketball game. Which was also interesting but we stuck out like saw thumbs.

And ye Guards we got asked for I.D absolutely everywhere!.
Hi, Can i ask where you stayed? I'm looking at going to New York with my uncle later on this year and i was waiting for when The Skins play the Giants in NY, but somebody said its only acouple on the train from DC to NY.

In theory i might see if i can fly to DC watch the a game stay for acouple of days then get the train to NY and fly home from there after a few days.
Old 13.01.2015, 03:06 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Defence View Post
Hi, Can i ask where you stayed? I'm looking at going to New York with my uncle later on this year and i was waiting for when The Skins play the Giants in NY, but somebody said its only acouple on the train from DC to NY.

In theory i might see if i can fly to DC watch the a game stay for acouple of days then get the train to NY and fly home from there after a few days.
if your looking for hotels check this place out - stayed here in Nov near dupont circle.

http://www.hotelpalomar-dc.com/

they have a wine hour in the evening 5-6pm where its all you can drink complimentary wine!