Browns QB Read Option - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cleveland Browns

Old 16.02.2015, 06:43 AM
Team Captain

Chip Kelly knows Mariota better than anyone else in the NFL - Mariota was his QB in Oregon in 2012. While it is true that for most teams Mariota might be viewed as a project, Kelly knows exactly what he's getting and won't have any issues getting Mariota up to speed with his playbook. Kelly's style of offense clearly suits Mariota to a 't' - a reunion makes a ton of sense (even though it probably won't happen).

Now, as for the question as to whether the Browns should trade down with the Eagles for Foles - I'm going to say yes (if it's just a straight trade of 1st round picks). In my view he gives us a better chance of winning this year than either Manziel or Hoyer. Although Foles only has one year left on his rookie deal, there's always the option of applying the franchise tag for 2016 if he has a great year. And bringing in a veteran starter for the season would hopefully allow Manziel time to mature and develop, and perhaps even become a starter somewhere down the line.
Old 16.02.2015, 05:41 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
I think the reality of the upcoming season and frankly the bleakness of QB options for me really dictates no other option and for me this is the only reason we brought O'Connell in as QB coach, i mean the odds already are that Pettine and his staff will be gone by the end of the year and the whole thing will be blown up again which is they have gone this route

I think the reality is he will always be accessing support for his condition which is one reason i believe the time isnt such a big deal, yeh he could be impotently banned just like he could potentially wreck his knee and be out for the year etc, im thinking thats how they are looking at it

For me the risk of injury hangs over every player. The fact manziel has substance problems is something you can legislate for. Quite honestly i would not build my team and season around a player who by week 6 may be back in rehab and I effect damage our season. I also think trade down for foles is pie in the sky. Mariotta is not gettable for the eagles from our current position in the draft. The fact people are keen on the idea also shows where the draft is. He was a third rd pick, Wilson was not first round pick either. I would trade away our two first rd picks and pick up talent throughout and maybe get an additional pick in future drafts where the talent is better
Old 16.02.2015, 07:02 PM
All Pro

And what about Faulds?

My bad... Thanks for putting me right.
I wasn't aware of the previous link with Kelly and Mariotta, but it makes sense of why he may be keener to pick him up.

As for Pettine having another year perhaps. I wish we could give him longer. That would be another change in offense after one year
Old 16.02.2015, 10:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.macca34 View Post
For me the risk of injury hangs over every player. The fact manziel has substance problems is something you can legislate for. Quite honestly i would not build my team and season around a player who by week 6 may be back in rehab and I effect damage our season. I also think trade down for foles is pie in the sky. Mariotta is not gettable for the eagles from our current position in the draft. The fact people are keen on the idea also shows where the draft is. He was a third rd pick, Wilson was not first round pick either. I would trade away our two first rd picks and pick up talent throughout and maybe get an additional pick in future drafts where the talent is better
You cant build your team around him until you give him a full try and this coming year may be the best time to try it, Hoyer really isnt an option and we have no one else

The problem with trading out is we have so many holes to fill and we can get a better option with both first round picks at filling those holes up