Cousins starting QB - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 31.08.2015, 11:42 PM
Rookie

Default Cousins starting QB

Whats everyone thoughts the news that Cousins will be the starting QB.
For me, it seems like the right thing to do. RG3 just doesn't seem a good fit just now. Maybe watching from the sideline for a month or so will inspire him. I'm still hopeful that he is a championship winning QB.

Interesting times ahead.
Old 02.09.2015, 06:26 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trago View Post
Whats everyone thoughts the news that Cousins will be the starting QB.
For me, it seems like the right thing to do. RG3 just doesn't seem a good fit just now. Maybe watching from the sideline for a month or so will inspire him. I'm still hopeful that he is a championship winning QB.

Interesting times ahead.
It's the right decision but not one that will have a successful outcome unfortunately. Griffin's become too much of a distraction and I seriously think he has maturity issues. I doubt he'll ever play a down again for the team.

He's a nice guy so hopefully he'll get chance somewhere else.
Old 11.09.2015, 06:27 PM
Starter

Personally, I don't think Cousins is good enough. He really didn't show a sufficient set of skills when he had the chance last season and although I believe it's the right decision at the moment, it's the right way forward.

I don't like our current HC and I think that's why we haven't seen RGIII at his 2012 level. They are trying to play him in a style that doesn't fit his 'package'. They knew what they would get when picking him in the draft - they had seen plenty of footage from Baylor to know that he likes to run and that the read option suits him. I hope Gruden gets fired because I don't see a successful future with him leading our team.

I hope I'm wrong and I still believe that Captain Kirk and Co. can beat the Dolphins on Sunday. I just don't believe that we can have a 8-8 season.
Old 12.09.2015, 10:14 AM
Rookie

I'm very much on the side of our HC and Cousins in this situation.

The sooner RG3 is off the team, the better. I wish him well and I hope he makes it in the league, but I just want him away from my team.

To say RG3's poor performance is the fault of the coaches is letting him off the hook too easily. Griffin wanted to become a pocket passer. He has stated as much on numerous occasions and I recall him breaking ranks under Shannahan to say he was being mis-used in the read-option.

A number of stories have emerged about this guy being un-coachable and attempting to impose his own will on coaching staff. Then we had his father questioning his coaches in the national media ("Show me a running QB and i'll show you a loser").

That's just off the field stuff. On the field he has no pocket awareness, poor decision making, poor long ball accuracy, happy feet and bad ball security.

He simply cannot run our offense effectively. Changing the offense to "suit" him would no doubt upset his sensibilities and unleash his father on the national media once again.

His 2012 success was due - in large part - to the ingenuity of Mike and Kyle Shannahan introducing the threat of the QB run to freeze DE's. It's just a shame that he wasn't happy being a read-option QB.

I believe his position on the roster is a direct result of the owner vetoing him being released. If this is true, it's a really shameful situation.

I can just see the season unfolding with Kirk having a few dubious games, the plug being pulled too soon, RG3 stepping in, getting injured, failing the end of year physical and us getting hit for the 16 million salary in 2016.

I obviously hope this is not the case. I really do wish RG3 all the best but I would like him to go to a more functional and resilient organisation that can absorb the circus that surrounds him.
Old 12.09.2015, 11:48 AM
Pro

The QB circus is coming to an end in DC. Kirk Cousins is also in a contract year, I believe McCloughan has seen enough from Griffin to satisfy himself that he just won't ever get it as far as being comfortable when the pocket collapses around him to step up and make a throw if it's there and dump it if it's not.

Let's see if Cousins has progressed, give him a season and reevaluate at the end of the year. If we need to shed all three QBs in January then so be it, if Cousins doesn't s*** the bed then I imagine RG3 may be cut or traded by the bye week to avoid risking the option.

Let's be honest, we know we will suck this year but I believe that we may have the right GM with a clear strategy and the experience to realise that strategy. Take our high 1st round pick and continue to build a tough, run based team with a quality offensive and defensive lines. Three or four years down the line we will be no pushover, and right now that sounds like heaven.
Old 12.09.2015, 05:19 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstockdale View Post
I'm very much on the side of our HC and Cousins in this situation.

The sooner RG3 is off the team, the better. I wish him well and I hope he makes it in the league, but I just want him away from my team.

To say RG3's poor performance is the fault of the coaches is letting him off the hook too easily. Griffin wanted to become a pocket passer. He has stated as much on numerous occasions and I recall him breaking ranks under Shannahan to say he was being mis-used in the read-option.

A number of stories have emerged about this guy being un-coachable and attempting to impose his own will on coaching staff. Then we had his father questioning his coaches in the national media ("Show me a running QB and i'll show you a loser").

That's just off the field stuff. On the field he has no pocket awareness, poor decision making, poor long ball accuracy, happy feet and bad ball security.

He simply cannot run our offense effectively. Changing the offense to "suit" him would no doubt upset his sensibilities and unleash his father on the national media once again.

His 2012 success was due - in large part - to the ingenuity of Mike and Kyle Shannahan introducing the threat of the QB run to freeze DE's. It's just a shame that he wasn't happy being a read-option QB.

I believe his position on the roster is a direct result of the owner vetoing him being released. If this is true, it's a really shameful situation.

I can just see the season unfolding with Kirk having a few dubious games, the plug being pulled too soon, RG3 stepping in, getting injured, failing the end of year physical and us getting hit for the 16 million salary in 2016.

I obviously hope this is not the case. I really do wish RG3 all the best but I would like him to go to a more functional and resilient organisation that can absorb the circus that surrounds him.
Look, the way I see it is when somebody starts school and the teacher has to show the way. It's the teacher's responsibility to make sure they learn and mature and that's where I feel the two HCs (Shannahan & Gruden) have failed. I can only imagine how much pressure there was on RGIII when he joined our club - the team had been awful for so long, so you need to give him some guidance and I don't feel that was given.

There's no doubt that his injuries have made him less confident but should he ever have been put in that Seattle game after the Ravens injury?
Old 13.09.2015, 04:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunk1 View Post
The QB circus is coming to an end in DC.
We wish...!!!

As soon as he throws his first pick, there'll be calls for McCoy and by about week 10, there'll be calls for the reinstatement of Griffin.
Old 15.09.2015, 09:25 AM
Rookie

I believe it does not matter who is QB as none of them will ever be better than average. Griffin has not advanced and not learned how to read defences if only for self preservation and the injuries he has suffered have slowed him down and cannot escape blitzes. To me that shows a lack of intelligence and/or arrogance on a unbelievable scale. Cousins and McCoy are interchangeable, serviceable as long they have a good running game to back them up. If I was Alfred Morris I would be demanding a massive new contract now, because you are going to be run into the ground this season.
Old 19.10.2015, 01:01 AM
All Pro

Fed up watching Cousins making bad decision after bad decision.
Old 21.10.2015, 03:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britskin View Post
Fed up watching Cousins making bad decision after bad decision.
Ah be fair, it was all the wind's fault.