Possibly Pettine's last game? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cleveland Browns

Old 02.01.2016, 11:45 AM
All Pro

Default Possibly Pettine's last game?

Reports on NFL site is the Steelers game is expected to be Pettine's last.

I know I have been critical at points this season, as I've been keen to see more of what we have in Manziel. I don't necessarily want to see Pettine go though, as I do feel that when you are leading a team, you often have to make difficult and unpopular decisions. To give Pettine credit, he hasn't shied away from these.

While the Defense has been a big disappointment over the season as a whole, we (frustratingly) still don't know if we have our franchise QB for sure. The other factors which has been disappointing is the lack of use of Bowe (for whatever reason) and the poor team blow outs in mid season.

The positives from the season have to be the the progress on offence (red zone excepted) given the lack of playmakers. The development and production from the QBs, Barnidge and latterly Crow and Duke. I would hate for the whole offense system to be blown up for the third time in 3 years, particularly when it just seems to be clicking.

Ultimately, I suppose it will boil down to season ticket sales and what Jimmy Haslam feels is best for the team. While I do want Pettine to get another season I hope, if he does go, then Farmer goes as well so we have a completely fresh start
Old 02.01.2016, 03:30 PM
Hall of Fame

When you look around the league there maybe 6 teams atleast looking for new Head coaches but are there really enough quality out there,how many guys who have already failed at headcoach are now "hot co-ordinators".

With your browns would it be better to stick with a coach and maybe look more at the GM who maybe brings in free agents or drafts guys who aren't good enough or just bring problems with there talent.

In the NFL the patience that the panthers showed in Riverboat Ron shows that sometimes it does take time to get things right and in the AFC North where the stability of the other 3 teams maybe make it harder to break through.
Old 03.01.2016, 11:53 PM
Starter

I hope both coach and Gm go. We need to start again with stronger coaches who won't let has haslam interfere.
I would now look at two candidates for the position. Jim harbaugh and Jon gruden.
I would also look at kaepernick in free agency.
Old 04.01.2016, 09:50 AM
All Pro

Well, there we go....both gone. Cant say I'm disappointed tbh, & I am so glad this season is over - its been an absolute shambles since Week 1.
Add to the mix that reports are saying we are done with Manziel too, and it just smacks of jumping back on the same carousel that we always seem to be riding.
Like you guys must be, Im so annoyed at the constant ineptitude of this franchise that Im seriously wondering if its worth carrying on. Every year I think its going to be different, but every year they find a way to crush me.
Old 04.01.2016, 11:40 AM
Starter

I think the problem at the browns stems from people in positions they have no place being and are only in them because their noses are in the right places and they tell the money people what they want to hear.
The news sashi brown is now in charge of player personnel is yet another reason to mock the browns. Behind every great success there are hangers on who drag things down to the gutter. Time for the browns to wake up. Let football people do their jobs and stop taking chances on coaches with no record of success or experience. Pettine Chud shurmur did ok in systems that were doing well.
My fear now is we will end up with gase and manning as gm
Old 04.01.2016, 08:35 PM
All Pro

I'm waiting to listen to CBD tomorrow as the live signal kept dropping for me today. From what I gathered from what little I heard, it's not a GM that we are hiring. The replacement for Farmer will simply be a chief scout? I suppose this would leave the VP and coach more like a soccer chairman and manager, as the VP has the definitive say on the roster.

This is perhaps a clearer situation and , I presume, it may be as a result of the dysfunctional situation (according to reports) within the Browns recently. I take it Haslam is being openly (rather than widely) credited with the Manziel pick, Pettine was happy he got his man in the Gilbert pick and so Farmer only got 2 out of the 4 first round picks. I take it Farmer felt he was taking heat for picks that were not his and that ,if Pettine couldn't come up with the goods with his own pick (when there should be added incentive to prove Gilbert's worth), why would he feel pressure to bring on Farmer's picks?

Given the above surmising, it may be just as well to come up with a properly defined structure, with no fudging of responsibilities. As I stated earlier, it will be a shame for the offensive side of things to get blown up yet again when it had done relatively well and shown progression in the running game as well.

The other question is whether someone will come to us given the lack of opportunity for recent coaches to get bedded in.
Old 04.01.2016, 11:27 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce70 View Post
I'm waiting to listen to CBD tomorrow as the live signal kept dropping for me today. From what I gathered from what little I heard, it's not a GM that we are hiring. The replacement for Farmer will simply be a chief scout? I suppose this would leave the VP and coach more like a soccer chairman and manager, as the VP has the definitive say on the roster.

This is perhaps a clearer situation and , I presume, it may be as a result of the dysfunctional situation (according to reports) within the Browns recently. I take it Haslam is being openly (rather than widely) credited with the Manziel pick, Pettine was happy he got his man in the Gilbert pick and so Farmer only got 2 out of the 4 first round picks. I take it Farmer felt he was taking heat for picks that were not his and that ,if Pettine couldn't come up with the goods with his own pick (when there should be added incentive to prove Gilbert's worth), why would he feel pressure to bring on Farmer's picks?

Given the above surmising, it may be just as well to come up with a properly defined structure, with no fudging of responsibilities. As I stated earlier, it will be a shame for the offensive side of things to get blown up yet again when it had done relatively well and shown progression in the running game as well.

The other question is whether someone will come to us given the lack of opportunity for recent coaches to get bedded in.

Haslam said about the structure then contradicted himself about the role of gm.
It seems to me the problem at the browns has been people have been telling others how to do their job when they are clearly incompetent at their own
Old 05.01.2016, 01:52 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmacca35 View Post
Haslam said about the structure then contradicted himself about the role of gm.
It seems to me the problem at the browns has been people have been telling others how to do their job when they are clearly incompetent at their own
I totally agree. To extend that, when people have interfered in roles other than their own and things have gone belly up, fingers have been getting pointed. It has seemed to stoke resentment and the bigger picture has been lost.

I do want the next staff to be given 4 years to introduce systems, for the players sake if nothing else. I am dreading seeing us changing our systems, letting guys go who "don't fit" and seeing them flourish elsewhere
Old 05.01.2016, 06:08 PM
Starter

Browns have now hired the guy behind moneybags book and sabermetrics. This is bizarre
Old 05.01.2016, 10:58 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmacca35 View Post
Browns have now hired the guy behind moneybags book and sabermetrics. This is bizarre
I think it is perhaps quite shrewd, Haslam is redesigning the structure rather than just rebooting. It seemed like tickets couldn't be given away to Browns fans as they had finally had enough. This is a move that represents something different.

CBD from yesterday did spell out the GM role is to come under Sashi Brown's VP remit, with the "GM" job actually being a chief talent evaluator.
I did think no GM candidate would accept the job with us given our last 16 years. It still remains to be seen if we get decent hires and if the team can move forward.