Steelers @ Patriots. 2017 AFC Championship. - Page 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 23.01.2017, 03:03 PM
bobsy's Avatar
bobsy bobsy is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 16.12.2012
Posts: 1,375
Default

I'm still sad that Derek Carr got injured. I was sort of hoping we'd be hosting the Raiders at home in the AFCCG as I think that would have been a better matchup!
We'd have probably still won but it might have been more entertaining than last night
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 23.01.2017, 03:21 PM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy View Post
I'm still sad that Derek Carr got injured. I was sort of hoping we'd be hosting the Raiders at home in the AFCCG as I think that would have been a better matchup!
We'd have probably still won but it might have been more entertaining than last night
Think the Chiefs were the only team capable of giving New England a game tbh. Their pass rush and secondary match up better against the Patriots' Offense than any of the other teams in the Playoffs, though I have my doubts that they'd have been able to score enough points to win...
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 23.01.2017, 03:29 PM
Ollyrules's Avatar
Ollyrules Ollyrules is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 25.12.2012
Posts: 4,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
You're right about the AFC. Well you see it in the Super Bowl contenders - Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger every year and has been for some time (OK, last year the Broncos were there despite not because of Manning). NFC is much more varied. But I think another reason the Patriots are so dominating in January is that they are so good at home. And their seedings mean they almost always play at home. Here's an interesting statistic: do you know how many home playoff games the Patriots have won since they last won a road playoff game (not counting Super Bowl which is neutral site)? 11! They have played 14 of their last 16 playoff games at home, going 11-3 in Foxborough and 0-2 on the road. They haven't won a road playoff game for ten years! In the end if you can set yourself up for a schedule like that with solid regular season scheduling then you put yourself in an excellent position to win in January. The likes of Green Bay, Seattle and Pittsburgh fall down because they lose too many games to weaker teams and end up taking 3,4 or wildcard seeds and going on the road. Every now and then it pays off with a Super Bowl but especially lately it has not. Only 1 of the last 11 road teams has won an AFC Championship game (Ravens at Patriots), and of course the two times New England has been the road team, at Denver, they too have lost. Slightly more balanced in the NFC at 7-4 to home teams in the same period, but it is 4 years since a road team has won a Championship in either conference and this is also the first time in 4 years that we don't have a 1 seed v 1 seed Super Bowl, when previously there was a long stretch where it rarely happened.

This is another reason I find the Patriots so dislikable: Belichick is just so disingenuine. You think a guy like this, who studies everything to the nth degree, doesn't know and appreciate the value of home field advantage in the playoffs? Yet when a reporter asked him a question about how important it was to be at home last week, he answered the reporter with utter contempt: "Go ask Dallas and Kansas City". Belichick knows full well the advantage. He probably also knows that if they had had the 1 seed last year and hosted Denver, they would probably have gone to the Super Bowl. No other coach in the league would answer that question in that way. It was like when someone pointed out 5 or 6 years ago that he only used left-footed punters and he denied it and said it must be coincidence. We all know what proportion of people are left handed/footed. Several years later and he's still using left footed punters!
You're bang on Bob regarding home field and the #1 seed. The Pats rarely, if ever drop games to poor teams like for example Pittsburgh do (as dameshek always brings up), and come January in Foxboro, there's not many teams who can come and beat the pats

It's goes both ways with Bill and the press - if he gets asked a good question he'll give a great answer, this year he's opened up on specific roles like slot corner, the kick-off etc and provided great insight. But if he doesn't feel the question is worthwhile he'll flat bat it. Think he has issues with the wider national media - the Boston guys he's usually willing to give decent answers too
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 23.01.2017, 05:47 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post

This is another reason I find the Patriots so dislikable: Belichick is just so disingenuine. You think a guy like this, who studies everything to the nth degree, doesn't know and appreciate the value of home field advantage in the playoffs? Yet when a reporter asked him a question about how important it was to be at home last week, he answered the reporter with utter contempt: "Go ask Dallas and Kansas City". Belichick knows full well the advantage. He probably also knows that if they had had the 1 seed last year and hosted Denver, they would probably have gone to the Super Bowl. No other coach in the league would answer that question in that way. It was like when someone pointed out 5 or 6 years ago that he only used left-footed punters and he denied it and said it must be coincidence. We all know what proportion of people are left handed/footed. Several years later and he's still using left footed punters!
so Bill should give an honest answer about homefield so the steelers can have bulletin board material and the NFL media can start another instant debate or call him arrogant for looking past the Steelers.Belichick and Brady both answer question in such a bland/boring way there is no follow up.did the Ravens not have a run of 6 straight years with atleast 1 road win,homefield is a factor but surely pointing out that the last 2 games played where both won by road teams keeps any players or coaches fully focused on the next game.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 23.01.2017, 06:36 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so Bill should give an honest answer about homefield so the steelers can have bulletin board material and the NFL media can start another instant debate or call him arrogant for looking past the Steelers.Belichick and Brady both answer question in such a bland/boring way there is no follow up.did the Ravens not have a run of 6 straight years with atleast 1 road win,homefield is a factor but surely pointing out that the last 2 games played where both won by road teams keeps any players or coaches fully focused on the next game.
Bulletin board material? "Good to be in front of our fans". Wow, you Pats fans are even more sensitive than I thought if you consider that to be bulletin board material! I guess it explains the whinging about the Giants' walkie talkies last month....

And to answer your Ravens question - no.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 23.01.2017, 07:03 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Bulletin board material? "Good to be in front of our fans". Wow, you Pats fans are even more sensitive than I thought if you consider that to be bulletin board material! I guess it explains the whinging about the Giants' walkie talkies last month....

And to answer your Ravens question - no.
yes,the Raven's won a road play-off game in only 5 straight years and it 6 times in 7 years(missed the 2013 playoffs).

when you get to the championship/superbowl the daily debate shows are looking for anything they can turn into an issue so been asked about the homefield advantage was always going to result in a non-Belichick answer.one good thing from last night,seems the Steelers sideline headsets worked all game.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 23.01.2017, 09:48 PM
Mich's Avatar
Mich Mich is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 29.12.2003
Posts: 10,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
The Patriots level of consistency is remarkable but they are such an easy franchise to hate, and it's not just because they're good. I can't imagine there will be many neutrals who won't be rooting for the Falcons in two weeks time. I know I will be.

I want the Pats to win it all. Not just because I admire them but also because I want to see a rerun of the awkwardness ala Super Bowl XVIII
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 24.01.2017, 12:10 AM
Ensign's Avatar
Ensign Ensign is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 29.12.2003
Posts: 10,709
Default

So the situation with Bell

He has admitted he has had a problem with the groin strain for a while, but said he didn't tell anybody.

Is he screwed because.

1. He didn't tell the coaches about it, or the medical staff, therefore letting them gameplan expecting him to be a intergral part of it.

2, Lied in the interview and the coaches and medical staff did know, but they didn't put it out on the injury report, therefore loss of draft pick and a fine?

Last edited by Ensign; 24.01.2017 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 24.01.2017, 12:16 AM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
yes,the Raven's won a road play-off game in only 5 straight years and it 6 times in 7 years(missed the 2013 playoffs).
Not according to my history books. They managed 3 years in a row, 2008-2010. I assume you're making 5 straight by linking up 2011 with 2012, but you as a Pats fan should know that the Ravens lost that divisional game (they'd been at home the week before). So that's three - or exactly half what you first claimed.

They had a few impressive series of back to back road wins. So did the New York Jets (you'll remember that first divisional game too). In the end, what has it got them? Flacco has 7 road playoff wins and 1 Super Bowl appearance. How much more success would the Ravens have had if they had put themselves in the position of needing 2 home wins to make the Super Bowl rather than 3 road games? For all you talk about the Ravens' impressive road form in the playoffs - and comparatively you are right - they are still only 7-5 on the road since Flacco was drafted. At home, they are unbeaten, 2-0. So in 5 of the 6 years they made the playoffs they came unstuck on the road, and once they made it work and got to the Super Bowl. And that's the best team in the AFC on the road.

As I said, home field advantage is where it is at.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 24.01.2017, 12:30 AM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
So the situation with Bell

He has admitted he has had a problem with the groin strain for a while, but said he didn't tell anybody.

Is he screwed because.

1. He didn't tell the coaches about it, or the medical staff, therefore letting them gameplan expecting him to be a intergral part of it.

2, Lied in the interview and the coaches and medical staff did know, but they didn't put it out on the injury report, therefore loss of draft pick and a fine?
Sounds to me like he was saying it was more a gradual wearing down thing and then the groin went in this game, early. By this stage of the season for a feature back it's not unsurprising. You could see him hobbling a bit on the first drive. He says it's been wearing for a few weeks but you only need to read the stat lines to see he wasn't injured over the last few weeks, whereas in this game - very quickly - he was. He did miss a few days of practice this week, but it was either the flu bug that went through quite a few in the team or it might have been because he became a father - that was the (pre-game) speculation on Steelers websites last week.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 04:59 PM.