Superbowl 51 Game day thread. - Page 52 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 06.02.2017, 09:20 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
This. For all of their late 'failings' in this game that was criminal.

Quinn/Shanahan are getting flak for play calls, but are the players absolved from blame? Ryan has to get rid of the ball, players have to block etc.

Not a huge believer in the 'they've been here before' advantage either, but cleary it was in full effect against a 'young' Falcons team.

thats the thing on the 2nd down, Ryan might get some of the blame.

but on the 3rd its a 53 yard FG, not running it there was an even worse call.

both downs are moments when you need to know the game situation, the clock that can be killed (or at least TOs taken) and making it a 2 score game.
Old 06.02.2017, 09:31 AM
All Pro

Just the most unbelievable game! I like probably everyone had given us zero chance to win this game at 28-3, even with the greatest coach and QB it looked impossible. I'm usually always optimistic but we looked terrible and Atlanta were just out classing us in every single facet of the game, we looked utterly hopeless, I was having flashbacks of the game against KC in 2014! When Gost missed the XP that just summed up our night.

What happened next I still have no explanation for, it was like all those ridiculous comebacks we had in the 2013 season! Even at 20-28 and driving down the field I was sure even if we go the TD we'd probably fail on the 2-point conversion and have to rely on an onside recovery to win! Only when Amendola just picked up that conversion did I start to believe. This game will stick with me for such a long time and will always serve as a reminder that no matter how hopeless it looks the game is never over until it's over!

Commiserations Falcons fans, I had conceded this one in the 3rd quarter, your team were just unstoppable and my team were an embarrassment! I know what losing a SB feels like, it hurts and really does take a while to get over, hopefully won't be long until your back at the big one and hope you go all the way, unless it's against the Pats of course!
Old 06.02.2017, 09:39 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman View Post
If you screw up something as simple as knowing when should absolutely run the ball and when to pass it you're simply not HC material. Perhaps Quinn was over-ruling him on that series, in which case he gets a pass, but such fundamental things transcend learning. You either have that instinctual situational intelligence at a very young age or you don't. If you're still screwing these sorts of decisions after many years as a professional NFL coach, then no, you're not going to learn right from wrong just by spending a bit more time in a job. It's the thing I remember most about Mike McCoy's first year as Chargers HC. HE came from Denver as a vaunted OC but continually made terrible situational decisions as HC. I said within his first half season that he was never going to make a successful HC on the basis that he couldn't make the elementary decisions correctly. Atlanta's OC just very probably cost his team a Championship by displaying the exact same fundamental incompetence. That's not a guy I want anywhere near the game management role for my franchise. Hire him as an OC by all means then have a competent game manager oversee him, but give him the reigns himself? You might as well just go hire Norv Turner.
Christ on a bike, I could tell you a few things about Norv Turner. This is spot on IMO. I 100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
This. For all of their late 'failings' in this game that was criminal.

Quinn/Shanahan are getting flak for play calls, but are the players absolved from blame? Ryan has to get rid of the ball, players have to block etc.

Not a huge believer in the 'they've been here before' advantage either, but cleary it was in full effect against a 'young' Falcons team.
I played a few games of Madden last night before the game. 1 of the games was actually pretty good and I had the ball with 2 minutes left up by a score. Guess what? I ran the ball to force the other team to call time outs and then kicked a 30-odd yard field goal to go up by 2 scores. They had about a minute left but no chance of scoring twice. That's Madden 17 not the Superbowl and I'm not paid many hundreds of thousands of pounds a year and being vaunted as the savior of the 49'ers franchise.

Yes, Tom Brady was predictably brilliant but the Falcons absolutely should of had the ball up by 3 with maybe 50 seconds left. That's absolutely worse case scenario. You could visibly see the air go out of the side once it was 28 all. Simply put, that just never should have happened.What a totally crushing way to lose a football game.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 06.02.2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06.02.2017, 09:43 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbrae View Post
Great game, enjoyed roughly a quarter of it. G.O.A.T quaterback and coach.

Commiserations to all Falcons fans. Genuinely felt at 28-3 down "at least the better team won and it's not going to feel like if only this little thing had gone the other way".

A huge laugh in the face of any "neutral" who would support anyone but the Patriots though.
And with that final comment, you wonder why 31 other teams can not stand the Pats and their fans?
Old 06.02.2017, 10:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbrae View Post
A huge laugh in the face of any "neutral" who would support anyone but the Patriots though.
Remember, stay classy..
Old 06.02.2017, 10:13 AM
Hall of Fame

Brady's team talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEpsVSdtfcc
Old 06.02.2017, 10:58 AM
Pro

Who/how much did the Pats pay to win that?

3 hrs sleep and I'm still buzzing.

If you know a Falcons fan keep an eye on them for a few weeks!

Last edited by Giants_BTGOG; 06.02.2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06.02.2017, 11:21 AM
All Pro

The Falcons offence joins alums like the Broncos 13, and Patriots 07 offences as close but no cigar. 21 points in the game, only 7 in the second half. Failed to put the game away despite getting the ball off an onside kick, and having the ball inside the Pats 20 with under 4 minutes left.

Matt Ryan has to take a lot of the blame, 5 sacks including that huge fumble and also sack late in the 4th quarter. Kyle Shanahan obviously also for not running Freeman more, Pats literally couldn't stop him but they for some bizarre reason went away from it
Old 06.02.2017, 11:32 AM
Team Captain

Anyone who thinks the Patriots are going to fall off the cliff anytime soon needs to get a reality check.
The main problem is this...
...The AFC East.
Bills, Dolphins and Jets are so weak season after season you feel they are literally giving the Patriots a leg up on a consistent basis.
Until that division becomes truly competitive then expect the Patriots to be a shoe in for the playoffs year after year.

Last edited by imaher; 06.02.2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06.02.2017, 12:04 PM
MVP

Pretty impressive stuff, this is the list of all the records broken or tied from last nights game.