Superbowl 51 Game day thread. - Page 57 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 07.02.2017, 09:31 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I don't think I appreciated what happened at the time or now really. I'll have to watch it again.
The Pats fans in the bar we were in went crazy.
It sounded like someone had stood on the tail of about 20 cats at the same time.
Not all were like that.
I don't get all the Patriots hate. People will look back on this win as the crowning of the greatest QB and coach ever, so that is pretty cool.
While I don't hate the Pats myself and supported them in the AFC Championship game, I understand it a little more after watching the preening, brash and very loud smugness of the crowd of 20-somethings in Brady jerseys in the bar I was in, before the game had even kicked off.
Old 07.02.2017, 10:07 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluemike View Post
While I don't hate the Pats myself and supported them in the AFC Championship game, I understand it a little more after watching the preening, brash and very loud smugness of the crowd of 20-somethings in Brady jerseys in the bar I was in, before the game had even kicked off.
Yep, the same. It was as if they were trying to wind everyone up.

Two of them did a Thierry Henry knee slide infront of everyone. Which would have been pretty funny if it wasn't at about 4am and 99% of people in there were just tired.

It wasn't so much they were happy at winning, more angry. As if they proved their dominance!.
Old 07.02.2017, 10:40 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluemike View Post
the preening, brash and very loud smugness of the crowd of 20-somethings in Brady jerseys
A race of people that I don't take seriously at all, would be 'adults' wearing replica shirts .
Old 07.02.2017, 11:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeypat View Post
As we saw at Wembley this year we had a tied game after overtime, a situation the Americans are not very fond of. Now what would have happened after 15 minutes of overtime on Sunday in the Super bowl if both sides were still level. Would they have shared the super bowl? or played on for ever until someone scored? With it being the first ever overtime Super bowl I did not hear anyone explain this.
Score a TD on your first possession, you win, score a FG on the first possession, the opposition gets a chance, if you don't scre, then it's the first o score, if no-one scores in 15, swap ends, keep going till someone scores.
Old 07.02.2017, 12:54 PM
Pro Bowler

For the people questioning whether the OT rules should be changed, on the basis its been a shootout (due to defences being dominated) and therefore both offences should be given the ball.
What if its been a low scoring game, say 10-10 or 14-14 or 6-6 (Hawks @ Cards)?
Should both defences be given a chance to "stop"?

You have to have a rule that suits as many situations and circumstances, whilst still being fair. The current rules are about as fair as you can get imo. The win % of teams who win the coin toss is ~60% so there is a little bias but not a huge bias.

On sundays game the Falcons were outscored 25-7 over the second 30 mins. That was sufficient time to make a stop or put more points on the board imo. They also had drives inside the Pats 30 (FG range) and managed to be pushed back.
Old 07.02.2017, 02:59 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
For the people questioning whether the OT rules should be changed, on the basis its been a shootout (due to defences being dominated) and therefore both offences should be given the ball.
What if its been a low scoring game, say 10-10 or 14-14 or 6-6 (Hawks @ Cards)?
Should both defences be given a chance to "stop"?

You have to have a rule that suits as many situations and circumstances, whilst still being fair. The current rules are about as fair as you can get imo. The win % of teams who win the coin toss is ~60% so there is a little bias but not a huge bias.

On sundays game the Falcons were outscored 25-7 over the second 30 mins. That was sufficient time to make a stop or put more points on the board imo. They also had drives inside the Pats 30 (FG range) and managed to be pushed back.
If there is still a clear bias towards the coin toss winners, then what about my idea of not tossing a coin, but in any OT game, give the choice to receive the ball or not to the team scoring more TDs than field goals in the 60 mins, or if TDs are tied, award the choice to the team with less personal fouls against them, and if that still doesn't separate them, then hell, give it to the team who kicked the longest field goal... reward play, in some shape or form. Should be dead easy to implement.
Old 07.02.2017, 04:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeypat View Post
As we saw at Wembley this year we had a tied game after overtime, a situation the Americans are not very fond of. Now what would have happened after 15 minutes of overtime on Sunday in the Super bowl if both sides were still level. Would they have shared the super bowl? or played on for ever until someone scored? With it being the first ever overtime Super bowl I did not hear anyone explain this.
Play another 15 minutes of overtime. Happens in the NBA, so just adopt it in the NFL too. It would be very, very rare though that a second period of overtime would be required.
Old 07.02.2017, 04:33 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Belichick and Edelman where on Fallon last night which i think get shown on E tonight at 10pm.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07.02.2017, 07:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
If there is still a clear bias towards the coin toss winners, then what about my idea of not tossing a coin, but in any OT game, give the choice to receive the ball or not to the team scoring more TDs than field goals in the 60 mins, or if TDs are tied, award the choice to the team with less personal fouls against them, and if that still doesn't separate them, then hell, give it to the team who kicked the longest field goal... reward play, in some shape or form. Should be dead easy to implement.
Depends if you think kicking a long field goal means you were the better team. If the other team drove closer to the goal do they not deserve a win?

I think it's easier to keep it how it is. The Pats were on the other side of an OT TD in Denver in 2015 and it is what it is. We had the opportunity to stop CJ Anderson from running it in from the halfway line, but didn't, and lost. Likewise if we had and they scored a FG, we'd have a chance to win. It's not perfect but it's fine how it is IMO.
Old 07.02.2017, 07:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
Play another 15 minutes of overtime. Happens in the NBA, so just adopt it in the NFL too. It would be very, very rare though that a second period of overtime would be required.
think i watched the 3 overtime games that went to the tie or settled on the last second(chiefs @ broncos) and they lasted nearly 4 hours each.the TV networks dont really want that as it messes with there schedule.Yes we could like the NHL have different overtime rules for regular season/play-offs but surely the near drama of sudden death with a TD or defensive score makes it better saying lets play another full 15 minutes.