Did the Patriots trade the wrong QB? - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 04.11.2017, 02:49 PM
Hall of Fame

JG if he stayed would want starter money. thats not going to happen, therefore Pats use franchise tag...but that means they lose Butler at the end of the year..trade JG, doesn't tie up starter QB money or QB franchise money, and you get to keep Butler..
Old 04.11.2017, 03:39 PM
MVP

From what I'd heard it wasn't even about the money, he just wanted to play. In the end the Patriots did a great job with him and it was the ideal succession plan... except that Brady just continues to surpass everyone's expectation as to how long he can go on and what level he can continue playing at.

I don't think even Belichick would trade Brady. Certainly not on current form.
Old 05.11.2017, 03:29 PM
Hall of Fame

more bits coming out about the trade,seem's the Patriots first texted the 49ers about Jimmy G now been available and it doesn't seem any other team where given a chance to offer more.so either the patriots want to help the 49ers rebuild or they just wanted to put there ex-QB as far away from the AFC as possible.reminds me a bit of the Packer trading Farve to the Jets rather than releasing him and letting him choose his new home.
Old 05.11.2017, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
more bits coming out about the trade,seem's the Patriots first texted the 49ers about Jimmy G now been available and it doesn't seem any other team where given a chance to offer more.so either the patriots want to help the 49ers rebuild or they just wanted to put there ex-QB as far away from the AFC as possible.reminds me a bit of the Packer trading Farve to the Jets rather than releasing him and letting him choose his new home.
Strange. Surely the Patriots would sooner have a 1st off someone like the Browns rather than a 2nd from the 9ers? I could believe BB not wanting to send JG to the Browns, or JG preferring to go to SF, but to not give anyone else a chance to offer a better deal at all?
Old 05.11.2017, 10:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Strange. Surely the Patriots would sooner have a 1st off someone like the Browns rather than a 2nd from the 9ers? I could believe BB not wanting to send JG to the Browns, or JG preferring to go to SF, but to not give anyone else a chance to offer a better deal at all?
Yes I'd agree with this. I mean you've got teams like Arizona for instance who need a QB moving forward. Or maybe the Giants... teams not in the AFC, basically. Maybe they were convinced that at this point in the season nobody would offer a 1st, so a Niners 2nd is looking better than anyone else's 2nd (except probably the Browns) as things stand.
Old 06.11.2017, 07:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Yes I'd agree with this. I mean you've got teams like Arizona for instance who need a QB moving forward. Or maybe the Giants... teams not in the AFC, basically. Maybe they were convinced that at this point in the season nobody would offer a 1st, so a Niners 2nd is looking better than anyone else's 2nd (except probably the Browns) as things stand.
think if the pats had leaked out the trade they could have got the Browns or others involved.surely that then could have forced the 49ers to sweeten the deal.

think the Cardinals who the pats worked with on the Chandler Jones trade would have been a great fit for Jimmy G as Palmer is done and they definetly look like they don't have a franchise QB in there building.
Old 06.11.2017, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

The Cards certainly would've sense and I'm not sure why the Browns offered a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron when the Pats were happy to trade Jimmy G for a 2nd only. The Browns should've at least called the Patriots to check his availability.

The 2nd round pick for both Browns and 49ers both look to be virtually the same right now, around the 33rd/34th pick. The Browns do have multiple picks though in the 2nd.
Old 06.11.2017, 09:26 PM
All Pro

Highly doubt Arizona would’ve been in for JG - he is as far away from an “Arians” QB as you can get really.
Old 06.11.2017, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if Arians retired at the end of the year due to health problems.