Week 1. Chiefs @ Patriots - Page 13 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 09.09.2017, 03:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1989 View Post
I'd like to think that Tom Brady and the Patriots are going to decline this season and fall off their perch, but I don't think I can honestly bring myself to do that even with the issues that I saw on both sides of the ball last night. They are the Patriots, and while last night was likely worrisome for their fans, I don't think the sky is falling. The last two times they were upset on week one they went on to win the Super Bowl. Will the do it again this season? Well, I wouldn't bet against it.
There are two camps in Patriots Nation right now. You're either "last 3 times we lost the opener we won the Super Bowl so suck it everyone else!!" or "OMG Brady is 40, the defense is useless and we're not gonna make the playoffs!!1!"

As always, it's somewhere in the middle. The offense looked OK, but McDaniels' play calling and the Amendola injury killed the 4th Q. With McDaniels I'm not talking about the 4th down calls. Bill says go for it, you pick a play, the players need to execute better on those runs. I'm talking about the SB42-style "we're losing in the 4th Q so let's start heaving it deep" plays at the end. Especally when we had 2 healthy wide receivers and Dorsett.... Why not do some Patriots-styly drives to keep our D off the field and use all the talented backs we have?

As for the defense, they do generally get better as the season progresses under Bill's leadership, but this was worse than expected by a long way, and there is a serious talent deficiency in the front 7, which many noted in the offseason. I think it's safe to say the worries about the pass rush, linebacking corps etc. were justified. Cassius Marsh and Jordan Richards ain't gonna cut it. Not even close.

So there are reasons for concern, but also reasons for optimism. People are stunned and rightly so but also we've seen this before, and they generally work it out. They will make the playoffs. They will be competitive in their playoff games and probably win some. How many? We'll see.
Old 07.01.2018, 01:18 AM
Hall of Fame

Well, this game means nothing now doesn't it.
Old 07.01.2018, 04:20 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post

thats pretty salty, it was a week one game.
Old 07.01.2018, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
thats pretty salty, it was a week one game.
Yeah, it is. Always thought the Chiefs were the biggest loser in that one, because it cost them Eric Berry for the season. Although not even Berry would have saved them from Andy Reid's Playoff ineptitude yesterday...
Old 07.01.2018, 11:09 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Eesh. And we wonder why nobody likes the Pats...
Old 07.01.2018, 05:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
to be fair it does show why sometimes we can over analyse early September games or hot starts.Belichick and the Patriots are all about playing your best football from December onwards and opening day rosters can look very different to January 53's.

Chiefs start 5-0 then 5-7

Patriots start 2-2 then 11-1.