Black Monday - You're Fired. - Page 67 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 14.01.2018, 03:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latic View Post
That statement was definitely rushed together reluctantly. A way to rally the team ahead of surprise progression in the play offs as opposed to an actual signal of intent for keeping with Mularkey. Can easily see McDaniels ending up there, their reported top target and should get more control of player personnel than he would in Indy.
I have to say I agree with this. I think we'll see Mularkey fired tomorrow. As for McDaniels, he is in a position to choose so he should have some negotiating power.
Old 14.01.2018, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions are expected to hire Patriots DC Matt Patricia as their next head coach.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is the "clear favourite" to replace Chuck Pagano as the Colts' next head coach.
Old 14.01.2018, 05:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
according to nfl network's ian rapoport, patriots oc josh mcdaniels is the "clear favourite" to replace chuck pagano as the colts' next head coach.

[10 a]
Old 14.01.2018, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Not just the Patriots rumoured to have a rift. Reports that Todd Haley's future as Steelers OC is in doubt. NFLN reporting Haley and Big Ben have a strained relationship and are not communicating directly with the QB coach being used as a go-between.

Haley has always appeared to be very abrasive and difficult to get along with. There was an incident very recently where he was attacked in a bar and fractured his pelvis.
Old 14.01.2018, 08:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I'll be honest I think the Colts are looking in the wrong direction in McDaniels

Their D has been lousy since forever, I would aim for a really solid defensive coach not a wildcard offense mind guy.

Match Luck with a half decent O line coach and you're fine. He needs to be protected so he isnt broken in half every other down, once you do that, you hardly need a super mind to get the best from him. But if you bring in McDaniels, who will naturally be Offense focussed, you arent solving the D.

As far as I know, its not like McVay who paired himself smartly with a guy like Phillips who matched up to address his offense focus, or Lynn / Bradley in LA which was the same thing.

Personally I would look at someone like Patricia not McDaniels
I imagine that was certainly the theory when we hired Pagano. Defense has got worse and worse under him, or more consequently as a result of a few seasons of Grigson drafts, so I think Irsay is going to want to go offensive mind just to try the opposite method honestly.

Having said that Ballard came in and said he as a GM is a believer in defensive foundations first, so although it's been reported we've been looking for an offensive minded coach, we did interview Kris Richards and still have Vrabel as a potential finalist - so we haven't completely ruled out defensive coordinators. I would hope that means Ballard is reassured by whatever McDaniels has said about defense, and whoever he plans to bring as DC. Cowboys LBs coach Matt Eberflus is said to be McDaniels preference to bring in - of which I know very little.
Old 15.01.2018, 12:20 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Not just the Patriots rumoured to have a rift. Reports that Todd Haley's future as Steelers OC is in doubt. NFLN reporting Haley and Big Ben have a strained relationship and are not communicating directly with the QB coach being used as a go-between.

Haley has always appeared to be very abrasive and difficult to get along with. There was an incident very recently where he was attacked in a bar and fractured his pelvis.
Ben and Haley have never really gotten along terribly well. Ben was very close with Bruce Arians and upset when he got moved on and the two apparently continued to talk on the phone a lot after Arians went to Indianapolis. Haley on the other hand was difficult to get on with. But despite all this, Ben unquestionably improved under Haley, and specifically he stayed healthier, getting hit a lot less. Steelers fans were not sorry to see Arians go as OC that was for sure. That said, there have been a few questionable calls in recent weeks on the offensive side of the ball, we all know who wins if things between players and coaches get really strained and I don't know what the bar thing was actually all about but I wonder if the organisation thinks it might be time for a change.

Haley is not under contract for next year so it's not even a case of firing him, they just might decide not to renew his contract. Rapoport suggested he might follow Munchak back to Arizona if Munchak gets the Cardinals HC gig.
Old 15.01.2018, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Do we still think Mularkey is safe if the Patriots absolutely hammered them tonight? I just find it odd when coaches are fired or saved based on 1 game... are the Titans really saying that if Mariota didn't catch that TD pass himself and the Chiefs eek out a win that Mularkey isn't the answer, but since Mariota did then Mularkey is the answer? To me it sounds like they're not really convinced. I know the owner put out a statement but only after the Chiefs game which kind of proves the point that they weren't sold on him really. That's a job I'd want ahead of the Indy job, definitely.
The Titans have offered coach Mike Mularkey a contract extension.

Oh dear!!
Old 15.01.2018, 06:43 AM
All Pro

The Bills have hired Brian Daboll from Alabama as OC. Has a mixed NFL record as OC, but largely had junk to work with. He was reportedly being lined up by the Patriots to replace McDaniels which says something about his standing in the league
Old 15.01.2018, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
The Bills have hired Brian Daboll from Alabama as OC. Has a mixed NFL record as OC, but largely had junk to work with. He was reportedly being lined up by the Patriots to replace McDaniels which says something about his standing in the league
Not a huge fan tbh, but I'm sure the Bills know what they're doing?
Old 15.01.2018, 09:02 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Not a huge fan tbh, but I'm sure the Bills know what they're doing?
McCoy was a bad fit as his pass happy offenses didn't suit. I'm surprised tbh it wasn't Chudzinski as he seemed the obvious one.

I think it's a higher risk option, now might be his time, equally he might end up being what his record says he is. He is local to Buffalo which is a little bonus

At the end of the day, anyone is better than Mike Shula.