2018 offseason thread - free agency, draft, random arrests etc - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 05.02.2018, 10:34 AM
All Pro

Default 2018 offseason thread - free agency, draft, random arrests etc

So we find ourselves here again - the dark depths of the off season are upon us.

What are your thoughts on what your team needs to address most and how would you like to see them do it?
Old 05.02.2018, 11:27 AM
Starter

1 - a healthy aaron rodgers
2 - an elite edge rusher, hopefully this is what we'll spend our first round draft pick on
3 - stop giving up a ton of first downs on 3rd and long
4 - less conservative play calling

Pretty optimistic going into next season and hopefully we can sort some of the needs above. With our new gm and coaching changes I hope our D will improve and if Rodgers is fit then that takes care of the offense.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:47 AM
All Pro

Priority number 1 : Do not trade away from your positions in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft.

The Bills need to get younger as a roster, and this year they have a prime opportunity to renew with 4 starters. I would be furious if they throw that away. This year is roster renewal, and 2019 when the cap situation opens up is when you make a splash play.

I would like to see progress in renewing and reshaping the defensive front 7 above all else. We have probably 1 long term starter, Matt Milano on the roster, the rest is a bunch I suspect will either retire or go.

This is not the year to solve the QB position unless the opportunity arises, I would rather build the roster overall as its too old than splash at a QB. We dont have the long term infrastructure around a QB to make them succeed.

And from a coaching side, we need an identify on offense. I dont care if it is a work in progress, I just want to see a vision. In the same way that Frazier and McDermott set out, and established a defensive identify of being tough to play against, limiting mistakes to the minimum, playing tight, somewhat conservative football, but forcing offenses to beat you, and then using smart players like Hyde, White and Poyer to take advantage of mistakes. I'm not fussed too much what the offensive identify is, it just needs to have one.

Last edited by BuffaloG; 05.02.2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Where to start?

Most important offseason for the Jets in many years. We will likely have around $100m of cap room, and a high first round pick (#6). First and foremost, and as well as Josh McCown played this season, we have to address the QB position.

We need to make a strong play for Kirk Cousins once FA begins. If we miss out on him, we have to use our first rounder on the position. In that situation, I would expect us to look to trade up.

The OL needs a major overhaul imo. It has been a weakness for far too long now, and it is almost impossible to be successful in the NFL with a poor line. Would expect us to bring in a couple of starter level players in FA.

We probably need to add a WR (maybe Allen Robinson?) and will need a RB to replace Matt Forte, who is a virtual lock to move on. It looks a pretty deep Draft class at the position, and I'd expect us to use a Day Two pick there.

Adding a legitimate edge rusher remains a priority. Someone like DeMarcus Lawrence or Ziggy Ansah would be nice, although both are probably unobtainable. Cornerback also needs strengthening.

All in all, Mac's got a lot of work to do...
Old 05.02.2018, 11:52 AM
All Pro

Our number 1 priority has to be to sign Matt Ryan to a new contract that is cap friendly.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:55 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Where to start?

Most important offseason for the Jets in many years. We will likely have around $100m of cap room, and a high first round pick (#6). First and foremost, and as well as Josh McCown played this season, we have to address the QB position.

We need to make a strong play for Kirk Cousins once FA begins. If we miss out on him, we have to use our first rounder on the position. In that situation, I would expect us to look to trade up.

The OL needs a major overhaul imo. It has been a weakness for far too long now, and it is almost impossible to be successful in the NFL with a poor line. Would expect us to bring in a couple of starter level players in FA.

We probably need to add a WR (maybe Allen Robinson?) and will need a RB to replace Matt Forte, who is a virtual lock to move on. It looks a pretty deep Draft class at the position, and I'd expect us to use a Day Two pick there.

Adding a legitimate edge rusher remains a priority. Someone like DeMarcus Lawrence or Ziggy Ansah would be nice, although both are probably unobtainable. Cornerback also needs strengthening.

All in all, Mac's got a lot of work to do...
How serious is the Anderson legal stuff? He looked like a piece you could build around, without him, what do you really do have to support a QB? I'm a bigger fan of Enunwa than many, but it isnt an inspiring prospect of him + a new QB.

I agree on the RB thing. If you got a Robinson + Enunwa + Pass catching RB like say Ballage, it starts looking something, but I think without Anderson it looks a bit thin
Old 05.02.2018, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
How serious is the Anderson legal stuff? He looked like a piece you could build around, without him, what do you really do have to support a QB? I'm a bigger fan of Enunwa than many, but it isnt an inspiring prospect of him + a new QB.

I agree on the RB thing. If you got a Robinson + Enunwa + Pass catching RB like say Ballage, it starts looking something, but I think without Anderson it looks a bit thin
Yeah, could be a lengthy suspension for Anderson. Kearse and Enunwa are good, but Anderson is the only potential #1. We have/had two very good receiving backs, we just don't throw to them enough. If we get Cousins in FA, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with Saquon Barkley at #6 if he somehow drops that far...
Old 05.02.2018, 12:33 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post

I would like to see progress in renewing and reshaping the defensive front 7 above all else. We have probably 1 long term starter, Matt Milano on the roster, the rest is a bunch I suspect will either retire or go.

What are the chances of Hughes & Lawson being gone by draft time?
Old 05.02.2018, 12:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Yeah, could be a lengthy suspension for Anderson. Kearse and Enunwa are good, but Anderson is the only potential #1. We have/had two very good receiving backs, we just don't throw to them enough. If we get Cousins in FA, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with Saquon Barkley at #6 if he somehow drops that far...
Any word whether the criminal stuff will stick, he managed to get quite a set I read?

Thats a sneaky play for the Jets in the draft, my current feeling is 6 is prime Barkley range. The more I look at the RB class, the more I think teams at the very top will wait on them. Would be an interesting move, and would clear up your backfield.
Old 05.02.2018, 12:52 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkBill View Post
What are the chances of Hughes & Lawson being gone by draft time?
For me? Hughes very low, Lawson relatively high.

I just dont buy this Hughes leaving idea. If we had a Jags esque defensive front, then fine, move on. But he is our 1 proven, if not always consistent pass rusher. I just dont see us getting rid unless we get a proven replacement, which then makes the whole thing pointless cap wise. For all his faults, at least he offers you something. Our pass rush was bad enough last season, and we will have 1 if not 2 new DT, I just dont see why you get rid of Hughes yet

Lawson, it depends. If you can get a reasonable draft offer from someone who buys into his potential then fine, but whilst he wasnt very good rushing, he did set a reasonable edge so I wouldnt just throw him away, I would want a usable pick for him

My take on the D line is that its a 2 or 3 year project. Bring in an experienced DT and draft one high this year as there is a set of Bryan, Vea, Hurst, Payne of whom 1 or 2 will probably be around at pick 21. Then keep Washington as a rotation. If Williams stays, great, but you need to plan beyond him anyway. Keep Hughes and Yarboroughat DE, and throw a late day 2 or early day 3 dart at a DE. Then next year when we have a lot more cap space make a splash play for a DE. If Lawson goes, it becomes more of a priority

I dont think you can solve the line in 1 off season, and I think DT is both the more urgent need, but also better draft wise for the Bills where they are picking

Its why I wouldnt trade up in round 1, draft need and value matches at DT very nicely, and if you get a 5 year starter to build around, it makes life so much easier in future years

Last edited by BuffaloG; 05.02.2018 at 12:54 PM.