Superbowl 52. Game Thread. - Page 49 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 05.02.2018, 11:30 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
The Chris/Al commentary was really poor on the Ertz TD. It was reminiscent of the Jesse James play, but was clearly distinctly different, in that Ertz made a clear 'football move'. He clearly took possession, took about 2 steps (becoming a runner), before diving to break the plane. In sharp contrast, Jesse James falls over the goal line while making the catch, didn't survive the ground, never made a 'football move', so never had possession. Simple. I spotted this call immediately, and was flabbergasted to see Chris/Al debating it, saying it should be reversed etc. What were they looking at? Couldn't believe they didn't seem to spot the 'obviousness' of that call.

The Clement one probably was reversible, I agree, even though the degree of 'lack of control' was extremely minimal, which may be why he got away with it, along with the fact that everyone wants to see the Pats beat, bar Pats fans.

I don't agree with any changes to the catch rules. I think they are good. I had no difficulty on the Ertz one, and can't for the live of me figure out how many didn't see the clarity of that call, including unbelievably the two revered commentators.
I think the Clement one is clear for the amount of control he has, you can see him move the way he is holding the ball. He changes his grip, you cant do that if you arent in control.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:33 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
Such an easy call, to say Patricia won't be successful as HC of Detroit. I would mark it strong odds on that he won't be successful there. I've followed NFL awhile, and haven't seen a coaching CV enhanced in Detroit. Patricia will be no exception, I'd expect.
Cooter is staying as OC that is the key. Patricia cant make the defense any more bland than it already is so on paper I think his chances of success are much higher than say McDaniels.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Ertz one was a catch

Clement one wasn't imo

Life is good...
Old 05.02.2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Just watched the 4th quarter again. You cannot fault the Pats(difficult to say I know) but they did what they do best and all down to one final throw at the death.

Glad the Eagles one IMO they came they seen they conquered.

Mark
Old 05.02.2018, 11:44 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbsy #21 View Post
With the Ertz TD for once I think they called it spot on. He caught the ball and established himself as a runner so it couldn't be an incomplete pass. The ball broke the plain of the goal line before he hit the ground so it couldn't be a catch and a fumble. Even if it was he clearly recovered it himself.

That said somewhere Dez Bryant is still yelling and punching a wall in frustration!
The 'Dez catch', in my opinion,sits neatly between the Jesse James extreme of no football move, and the Ertz extreme of a clear football move yesterday. Dez 'kinda' made a football move, but his catch was more spectacular than Ertz's, and he had to come down from a height. His first step is made on a descent from the high catch. He than makes two further 'steps' in a stumbley kind of falling fashion in the process of going to the ground, and didn't 'survive the ground'. It was obviously determined at the time that Dez did not make a satisfactory 'football move' after the 'catch', and for me it's right in the grey area that one. Unlike the Jesse James & Ertz ones, which for me are two classic clear examples of 'not a catch' and 'a catch' respectively, under my current understanding of 'NFL catch rules' anyway.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:47 AM
MVP

I Don't think I've ever been more wrong about someone than I have about Nick Foles, when the St. Louis Rams traded for him I argued he was nothing special, last night he proved me wrong.

He's still got to do it for a full season, then multiple seasons, but regardless of what happens he'll retire with his name in a very select club.

It was good to see Chris Long become a back to back Super Bowl champion, great guy, he deserves it.
Old 05.02.2018, 12:07 PM
All Pro

I know people have "Pats fatigue" but if you look back at all the Super Bowls they've been in, both ones they've won and lost, they've all been great great games (well maybe bar the 2004 one vs Philly).

And actually we're living in a golden age for Super Bowls - we've had so many great ones recently. The only bad one I can remember was Seattle vs Denver in Super Bowl 48
Old 05.02.2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
I know people have "Pats fatigue" but if you look back at all the Super Bowls they've been in, both ones they've won and lost, they've all been great great games (well maybe bar the 2004 one vs Philly).

And actually we're living in a golden age for Super Bowls - we've had so many great ones recently. The only bad one I can remember was Seattle vs Denver in Super Bowl 48
As a fan of great Defense, I loved that one...
Old 05.02.2018, 12:25 PM
All Pro

Cracking game, good to see a different team win it.
Old 05.02.2018, 12:34 PM
Rookie

Great game, wanted the pats to win as have an obvious dislike to the eagles-the team, but boy do they have some fun players to watch.