ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 501 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 20.03.2019, 08:46 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
So it's "As you were" for Team Sky who have signed a new sponsorship deal with Ineos, owned by Britain's richest man Sir Jim Ratcliffe.
Another staunch Brexiteer hypocrite who prefers to live in tax haven Monaco rather than actually pay taxes into the Britain he pretends to care about. This makes the team even less likeable.
Old 20.03.2019, 06:35 PM
All Pro

It isnt "As you were". It's an even more extreme version, a significant budget INCREASE is being reported.
Old 23.03.2019, 12:10 AM
MVP

Follow the one day races, everyone - Sky don't strangle the life out of those like they do the big tours. It's hard for anyone to, though the one teams with the best record overall is Deceuninck-Quick Step. Four of the biggest six one day races of the season are coming up, plus a few other nice ones. Highlight of the year for me - the big races all have their unique character and while some riders are able to win more than one of them there is no rider these days capable of winning them all really.

Races in UPPER CASE are monuments, part of the most prestigious 5 one day races that are the hardest and most contested. All pre-date the First World War:

Saturday 23rd March - MILAN-SANREMO (ITALY)

Friday 29th March - Grand Prix E3 Harelbeke (Belgium)

Sunday 31st March - Ghent-Wevelgem (Belgium)

Sunday 7th April - TOUR OF FLANDERS (BELGIUM)

Sunday 14th April - PARIS-ROUBAIX (FRANCE)

Sunday 21st April - Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands)

Wednesday 24th April - Flèche Wallonne (Belgium)

Sunday 28th April - LIEGE-BASTOGNE-LIEGE (BELGIUM)
Old 11.04.2019, 09:25 AM
MVP

Tour of Flanders 10-0 Team Sky. This is one big race that Sky have never been able to master - not so much as a podium place in a decade of trying.

Onto Paris-Roubaix this Sunday. This is my favourite race of the season and perhaps it is the most prestigious of all the monuments, though some will disagree. Another one that Sky has never won in its history, although they have had a couple of 3rd places.
Old 03.06.2019, 06:01 PM
Hall of Fame

First time in a good few years the Giro has pretty much completely passed me by.

I'd forgot Carapaz finished 4th last year, I was scratching my head as to why I knew his name.
Old 03.06.2019, 06:49 PM
Pro Bowler

I'd have forgotten it was on if it wasn't for the highlights on quest.
Old 03.06.2019, 07:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
I'd have forgotten it was on if it wasn't for the highlights on quest.
Not sure if ITV4 had it or not, that's where I tend to follow cycling more. More so than Eurosport anyway (which is where I caught snippets of the Giro this year) which tends to be my 'back up option'.
Old 03.06.2019, 07:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Not sure if ITV4 had it or not, that's where I tend to follow cycling more. More so than Eurosport anyway (which is where I caught snippets of the Giro this year) which tends to be my 'back up option'.
No, only on Quest, which I think is owned by Eurosport (or part of the same group) highlights package was sponsored by Eurosport as well.

Pretty sure ITV4 have the Tour and one of the build up events on.
Old 03.06.2019, 08:52 PM
MVP

Watched all of the Giro, as always. It wasn’t the best edition this year but the Giro is definitely the best grand tour of the 3. Italy is just a better canvas for a bike race than France. A wider variety of climbs, better terrain, and the hardest climbs are harder than the ones in France I think. And I have to say for me one of the things I really enjoy about the Giro is the maps. The Italians have been been in a different category to the rest when it comes to design, and that goes for the maps and the race jerseys. That said, despite some good moments it was a bit of a down year for the corsa rosa this year so it’ll be interesting to see if the Tour can beat it. I think this was mostly the enforced late route change when the yet to be announced start town for the opening weekend went bankrupt, plus the bad weather meaning the Gavia was cut out, plus some crashes of big names before and during the race. It was still close though. For most of the last decade the Tour has consistently been the least competitive of the 3 big tours so interesting to see if that will change this year. Italy’s loss with Bernal and Dumoulin in particular should be France’s gain.
Old 03.06.2019, 08:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
No, only on Quest, which I think is owned by Eurosport (or part of the same group) highlights package was sponsored by Eurosport as well.

Pretty sure ITV4 have the Tour and one of the build up events on.
Eurosport coverage is a lot better than ITV4 i think. Depends on the commentators but Rob Hatch on Eurosport in particular is class. ITV4 has the Dauphiné though, which is the build up race you were mentioning TR. TV rights often tend to come in bunches depending on who organises the races. Most of the big French races including the Tour and Dauphiné are organised by ASO, so ITV probably bought a package deal. The Vuelta is also owned by ASO, indirectly, as they own the Spanish company Unipublic which organises the Vuelta. But Unipublic does not own the other Spanish races like Catalunya, Basque Country, Vuelta a Burgos or the Clasica San Sebastian, hence none of those on ITV4. ASO doesn’t own any Italian races either. Most of the big ones, including the Giro and the two Italian monuments, are owned by RCS, owners of the Gazzetta dello Sport. And the other big Tour de France build up race is Tour de Suisse, but that’s owned by someone different again.