ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 502 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 03.06.2019, 09:19 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Eurosport coverage is a lot better than ITV4 i think. Depends on the commentators but Rob Hatch on Eurosport in particular is class. ITV4 has the Dauphiné though, which is the build up race you were mentioning TR. TV rights often tend to come in bunches depending on who organises the races. Most of the big French races including the Tour and Dauphiné are organised by ASO, so ITV probably bought a package deal. The Vuelta is also owned by ASO, indirectly, as they own the Spanish company Unipublic which organises the Vuelta. But Unipublic does not own the other Spanish races like Catalunya, Basque Country, Vuelta a Burgos or the Clasica San Sebastian, hence none of those on ITV4. ASO doesn’t own any Italian races either. Most of the big ones, including the Giro and the two Italian monuments, are owned by RCS, owners of the Gazzetta dello Sport. And the other big Tour de France build up race is Tour de Suisse, but that’s owned by someone different again.
Cheers for that Bob, knew they had a race but couldn't remember if it was the Dauphiné or not.
Old 04.06.2019, 03:49 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
First time in a good few years the Giro has pretty much completely passed me by.

I'd forgot Carapaz finished 4th last year, I was scratching my head as to why I knew his name.
Olly posting

I had Carapaz at 22/1 before the race - unfortunately only £1 on, as I put the majority of my money on Dumoulin still a minor profit in the end!

Interesting tour the Giro for some young riders - a top 10 for Sivakov and some good showings from Hugh Carthy too.

Bob do you not think Sky will have Bernal focus on the Vuelta instead now?
Old 06.06.2019, 10:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinTheAardvark View Post
Olly posting

I had Carapaz at 22/1 before the race - unfortunately only £1 on, as I put the majority of my money on Dumoulin still a minor profit in the end!

Interesting tour the Giro for some young riders - a top 10 for Sivakov and some good showings from Hugh Carthy too.

Bob do you not think Sky will have Bernal focus on the Vuelta instead now?
If he’s fit I think they will send him to France as a domestique deluxe. Well Ineos has an embarrassment of riches, doesn’t it? It’ll be what the sponsors want too I think. Most teams tend to use the Vuelta as an extra or a Plan B. You plan for the Giro and the Tour and then see what you’ve got for the Vuelta. I wouldn’t be surprised if Froome wants to do Spain as well, he seems to like that race.
Old 07.06.2019, 10:29 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
If he’s fit I think they will send him to France as a domestique deluxe. Well Ineos has an embarrassment of riches, doesn’t it? It’ll be what the sponsors want too I think. Most teams tend to use the Vuelta as an extra or a Plan B. You plan for the Giro and the Tour and then see what you’ve got for the Vuelta. I wouldn’t be surprised if Froome wants to do Spain as well, he seems to like that race.
Olly posting

Ha! Ineos not Sky...I'll remember that one day

From what I've read and the rumour mill it seems the lineup for them will be Froome, Thomas, Bernal, Poels, Kwiatkowski, Ellisonde, Castroviejo, and Van Baarle - with Rowe and Moscon in the mix potentially too. That is strong!!
Old 09.06.2019, 10:26 PM
MVP

For anyone interested there is this year a Panini Tour de France sticker album out, following the success of the Giro d’Italia collections for the last 3 years. Not sure if it’s officially available in the UK (as in, in shops) but you can buy it from Panini UK online store plus boxes of stickers, and perhaps from places like EBay too, and then there are various online swap shops available where you can agree trades with other fans and then post your stickers. I’ve done a couple of Giro ones and enjoyed it so I’ll give the Tour one a go this year. I’ve found it really useful in helping me recognise the riders too, actually. Because aside from a few big names we rarely get to see these guys minus helmets and sunglasses so while you know plenty of names you’re unlike to recognise them even if they were to walk past you.
Old 12.06.2019, 04:20 PM
MVP

No Tour for Froome this year, crashed on a practice ride during the Criterium, reported broken femur.
Old 12.06.2019, 07:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
No Tour for Froome this year, crashed on a practice ride during the Criterium, reported broken femur.
A repeat for Geraint Thomas in the offing?
Old 13.06.2019, 07:33 AM
MVP

That's a shame for the race and for Froome. He crashed last year reconning the Giro prologue in Jerusalem too, but this one is clearly much worse.
Old 13.06.2019, 05:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Blinkin 'eck! Multiple serious injuries for Froome and a 6 hour operation apparently

Must have been in a bad way.

Fractured femur, elbow and ribs it would seem. A fractured elbow is a pain in the. I came very close to fracturing mine at 5 aside, couldn't play for 10 weeks. Obviously the femur is the bigger issue I'd imagine, but rehabbing an elbow isn't easy either.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 13.06.2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 13.06.2019, 07:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Blinkin 'eck! Multiple serious injuries for Froome and a 6 hour operation apparently

Must have been in a bad way.

Fractured femur, elbow and ribs it would seem. A fractured elbow is a pain in the. I came very close to fracturing mine at 5 aside, couldn't play for 10 weeks. Obviously the femur is the bigger issue I'd imagine, but rehabbing an elbow isn't easy either.
Quite a high price for wanting to blow his nose. Kids - hands on tbe handlebars at all times.