Farewell to the forum - Page 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Announcements > New on NFLUK.com

Old 10.07.2019, 02:58 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=LesterHayes;2401233]It's still 400,000 e-mail addresses of people who have at least some level of interest in American Football? … In the 6 years I've been on this site how many e-mails have I had from NFLUK? About anything? None.[/quote

They still have those email addresses. And will still get new email addresses of people interested in tickets, and who register for the fantasy game on NFL.com.

And whilst I admit their email marketing has been inconsistent, certainly since Pike took over, the last ones l I received were in January 2018 promoting the London games, NFL Live, and the then ongoing playoffs. So they had still been sending them dureing the past six years.

As for the curious tactic of removing the main pages, they moved them to the main nfl.com site. That seems a pretty good tactic given it is the most obvious place to go. Would anyone instinctively guess there is an nfluk.com address they should use? And given some content on here duplicated the main site whilst a lot of other content was only on the main one, having two meant you needed to visit both.

Putting everything in one place, on an address everyone will guess, and which is advertised everywhere else related to the NFL, seems to me an obvious thing to do. And as that is where the old domain address points to anyway, I am not sure what the problem is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
I don't agree that Facebook is the way to go and I think there's a massive problem with the 'youth of today' in terms of attention span full stop although, I suppose I would say that, old fart that I am.
I am not on Facebook, I think for various reasons it is a dumb strategy by the league, and will definitely be closer to your age than the "youth of today." But a lot of the self-righteous elitist nonsense from several people this thread resolved any care I had about the forum being shut down. Why not just add that what they listen to is noise, not music, and how things were much better in your day to complete the self-parody.

And yet we still have had people wondering why others would not want to use this forum, where they will be condescended to. Mind, if you think the value of this place is being able to mine for email addresses then I think you would quite like Facebook.

Incidentally, for the last few years young people have been leaving Facebook, its got an aging membership and is most popular with people in their early 30s. So goodness knows what any of this has to do with young people anyway.
Old 10.07.2019, 03:29 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post

I am not on Facebook, I think for various reasons it is a dumb strategy by the league, and will definitely be closer to your age than the "youth of today." But a lot of the self-righteous elitist nonsense from several people this thread resolved any care I had about the forum being shut down. Why not just add that what they listen to is noise, not music, and how things were much better in your day to complete the self-parody.

And yet we still have had people wondering why others would not want to use this forum, where they will be condescended to. Mind, if you think the value of this place is being able to mine for email addresses then I think you would quite like Facebook.

Incidentally, for the last few years young people have been leaving Facebook, its got an aging membership and is most popular with people in their early 30s. So goodness knows what any of this has to do with young people anyway.

FB is for old people and is awful those are just facts

in any case, the point was made about a lack of discussion and debate on there page.
Old 10.07.2019, 03:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
They still have those email addresses. And will still get new email addresses of people interested in tickets, and who register for the fantasy game on NFL.com.

And whilst I admit their email marketing has been inconsistent, certainly since Pike took over, the last ones l I received were in January 2018 promoting the London games, NFL Live, and the then ongoing playoffs. So they had still been sending them dureing the past six years.

As for the curious tactic of removing the main pages, they moved them to the main nfl.com site. That seems a pretty good tactic given it is the most obvious place to go. Would anyone instinctively guess there is an nfluk.com address they should use? And given some content on here duplicated the main site whilst a lot of other content was only on the main one, having two meant you needed to visit both.

Putting everything in one place, on an address everyone will guess, and which is advertised everywhere else related to the NFL, seems to me an obvious thing to do. And as that is where the old domain address points to anyway, I am not sure what the problem is?
You haven't received an e-mail from NFLUK for 18 months and you call it "inconsistent"?

The login button to the forum was removed from that site quite a while ago and the forum link itself was buried somewhere that most people couldn't find. Even people that knew the forum existed and wanted to log in couldn’t find it. I'd say most people knew the writing was on the wall back in August 2018 with the "exciting" announcement of the move from NFLUK to NFL.com/UK. That's what the problem was; a continuing attempt to strangle the forum by making it progressively less accessible while simultaneously telling the readership it was a positive move.

Quote:
Erm? It WAS self parody. That was part of the point?

Quote:
To be clear I do not think “the value of this place is being able to mine for email addresses”. I am saying that, given the opportunity to market the forum amongst a pool of subscribed users the people that run this place did not make the most of the opportunity presented to them. Right now we have over 403,000 registered users. Admittedly a big chunk of those addresses maybe be dead but an equally big chunk would not be. Anyone with an ounce of experience could have nurtured that pool and engaged with the available audience. With a little bit of effort and half decent software this forum could have been a great place for NFL fans to visit and express their views. It is clear that NFLUK did not believe it worth the effort but that does not mean that no one is allowed to express the view that their decision was a poor one.

That "this forum in condescending and elitist" is something I have read from time to time. I can only speak for myself but I've never witnessed it from anyone posting here. Well, until just now that is.
Old 10.07.2019, 05:06 PM
Hall of Fame

You know what I won't miss? Threads like this.

Not because of the opinions that are voiced, everyone is entitled to those.
Old 10.07.2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

And it’s an early bath for Kaldenavn.
Old 10.07.2019, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Auf Wiedersehen!
Old 10.07.2019, 08:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
It's still 400,000 e-mail addresses of people who have at least some level of interest in American Football? Lets say half are spam bots, accidental registrations and people now dead - 200,000. What they do depends on how they are nurtured surely? Do nothing at all and it's no surprise that 4500 odd are the most visitors the sites had. Anyone that knows anything at all about e-marketing would say there's a hell of a lot you can do though. In the 6 years I've been on this site how many e-mails have I had from NFLUK? About anything? None.

The bottom line is that the powers that be had direct access to an awful lot of people who had at least some interest in American Football and chose to do worse than nothing. They ****** around with the log in protocol, made signing up and/or logging in damn near impossible and then went for the curious marketing tactic of removing the pages from the main site completely. Short of setting NFLUK House (if there is such a place) on fire I'm not sure they could have done worse?

Actually, thinking about it, setting the place on fire would at least have received media attention.

Its just a sign of the times fellas. Most of the people on here are dinosaurs, I know I am. I'm not on Facebook at all, have a business account for Twitter that I hardly ever look at and that's it. There's no room in the marketing plan for people like me, the future is all with the kids. To be honest I do get it, sort of. If you want to grow anything then you have to get the kids involved, they're the players of the future and any grass roots growth requires the game to become more embedded. I don't agree that Facebook is the way to go and I think there's a massive problem with the 'youth of today' in terms of attention span full stop although, I suppose I would say that, old fart that I am.

What I just don't get is what NFLUK gain by closing this forum down? I'd love to hear from someone just how much money it costs to run it, my guess is, beyond a yearly fee for the URL, next to nothing. Given that assumption why does anyone in the NFL care if there's some crusty old forum in some quiet corner of the internet inhabited by a few old timers moaning about log in problems and doing a pretend draft every year? It makes no sense? If you didn't want a forum anymore then why not? And why not just shut it years ago? Why deliberately run it down first?
While I broadly agree with this, i wouldn’t say we are all dinosaurs and that Facebook is for youth. Facebook is quite the opposite. The average Facebook user 4-5 years ago was well into their 40s and I can only think that figure has gone up since then. Young people don’t use it these days. I don’t have it anymore (I’m mid 30s) but I had an account in my early 20s back when you had to be a student to have an account. But now Facebook is more and more used by older generations. It’s one reason why Trump, Brexit and their fake news spreading did so well; they relied on articles being shared by largely non-tech savvy people from a generation less used to questioning the veracity of information received. Those aged 60+ were 4-7 times more likely to share fake news articles as younger users. So yeah, Facebook not a young person thing. In 2004, yes, but not in 2019.
Old 10.07.2019, 08:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
You know what I won't miss? Threads like this.

Not because of the opinions that are voiced, everyone is entitled to those.
Yep, know what you mean.
Old 11.07.2019, 08:39 AM
MVP

It's a real pity becaused just a few pages ago I was starting to wonder if this had been my favourite thread in the history of the site
Old 11.07.2019, 09:06 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
And it’s an early bath for Kaldenavn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Did I miss something?