Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 04.09.2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Smile Week 1. Chiefs @ Patriots

Opening game of the new season.

Mark
Old 04.09.2017, 01:37 PM
All Pro

Woooo gameday threads are back!! The rosters are set! The darker longer nights are setting in! It's almost time for the late nights and Fridays/Mondays/Tuesdays with little sleep!
Yep, the NFL season is back!!

Here we go!!

Great game to kick off with I think! We've lost some big names due to injuries this pre-season so I think we might start off a bit rusty! We have quite a bit of depth at most positions this season though, but a lot of new names to New England so it could take a while for TB12 to get that chemistry going!!
So I think we might be a bit rusty in this season opener!

I expect that Chiefs D-line to be going full speed for Brady to try disrupt him and if he takes a few hits I think he might get rattled!

Overall, I can see the Chiefs taking a win in this season opener. A long way to go from here though!! Roll on Thursday!!
Old 04.09.2017, 02:19 PM
All Pro

I'm excited for this one (although perhaps not as much as bobsy! !! !) but I think it will end up being a pretty safe one in the 2nd half. I think KC will hang with the Patriots initially, but once our D gets a couple of stops I think we'll have a 10 or so point lead for the remainder of the game. All in all, even without Edelman, and with two new receivers to work out the chemistry with, I think Brady et al have too much firepower for the Chiefs, and I don't see the Chiefs sustaining enough drives to keep up. Hope I'm right!

Patriots 31 - 20 Chiefs
Old 04.09.2017, 06:46 PM
Hall of Fame

looking forward too seeing how Cooks gets used,can imagine we test out the Chiefs press-man coverage early.hopefully an easy win after we see the new banner and the commish before the game.

not sure if the chiefs have much of a running game so guess its Kelce and Hill to worry about.
Old 05.09.2017, 01:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Eh, what...you mean it's almost game time...

Suppose I should take notice again..

https://goo.gl/images/M1Mufx
Old 05.09.2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Finally, the return of the real thing...

Think the Chiefs have had a very good offseason, although I'm not a fan of the trade up for Mahomes. However, I'm not expecting them to give the Patriots too many problems on Thursday.

I think New England are a shoe-in for the Super Bowl, and a perfect season wouldn't surprise me too much. There's one or two question marks about their running game, but I think Mike Gillislee was a shrewd signing who will have a big year.

Kareem Hunt gives the Chiefs something of an X-factor, but their passing game still looks underwhelming and I expect the Patriots to pull away for a comfortable win...

Patriots 31 Chiefs 17
Old 05.09.2017, 03:28 PM
Team Captain

Opening game is always a difficult one to call I think!!!!
Teams that start off looking like potential Super Bowl champions in week 1, have been found out and look poor by week 5 or 6.
Teams that start off stuttering in week 1, gradually improve and look like contenders as the season progresses.

I expect us to win, but I could see any result in week 1.

I think we were always going to be a team that improves as the season progresses with all the new faces this year, and add to that Edelman's injury, and now Brady is going to have to find his new safety blanket, and that may take a while.

I'm going for a frustrating opening day game with the Chiefs defence causing us problems and not allowing Brady to find any rhythm, but ultimately the Chiefs conservative play will mean we find a way to win, but come away questioning whether we can win anything without Edelman :-)
Old 05.09.2017, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Seems like we have been waiting ages for this but the season is finally upon us!

I see the game being close up to half time and then the pats pulling away and winning comfortably. Be interesting to see how Cooks goes as most people seem to think it is Randy Moss part 2 but I think (for the first few weeks at least) he will be used more underneath with Hogan going deep.

Pats 34 - 20 Chiefs
Old 05.09.2017, 04:57 PM
Pro

I am of the belief that Cooks will be moved to the slot with Amendola as they're apparently restricting his snaps, and Hogan will be the deep threat as godsy said above. It will be interesting to see how Ole Bill deals with Edelman missing out though, they have so many players who could play slot, Lewis, White, Burkhead, Cooks, Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola... For what it's worth, we all know the Pats attack the oppositions weakness, that should mean deep threat, and catches from the backfield.

I'm also not sure how the Chiefs are going to move the ball, they have no Maclin any more, in games without him last season, Kecle went for 100 yards in 4 in a row, I would expect him to be the most used in this offence, obviously Tyreek will be a big part of their offence, it remains to be seen how he's used. Other than that, Hunt is the only real threat, he looked really good vs the Bengals, lots of yards after contact but in fairness they were awful attempts at tackles.

Pats have apparently conceded 21 or more in 3 of their last 4 opening games.

Pats will win, and probably cover the spread as it's what they do, I won't be touching the main lines at all.
Old 05.09.2017, 05:22 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Finally, the return of the real thing...

Think the Chiefs have had a very good offseason, although I'm not a fan of the trade up for Mahomes. However, I'm not expecting them to give the Patriots too many problems on Thursday.
Agree with both of these points! I'd be worried a bit as a Chiefs fan that the coaching staff may be looking for an excuse to try out their new toy in Mahomes this year, and that could be a conflicting or even distracting factor. Obviously doesn't apply to Week 1, Smith is the starter and deserves to be, but it's an interesting one.