Did the Patriots trade the wrong QB? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 01.11.2017, 02:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Did the Patriots trade the wrong QB?

I know, it's almost blasphemous to think this (especially to Pats fans) but what if the Patriots had decided to try to trade Tom Brady at the end of the season instead of trading JG now?

What if they told JG the starting job was his as of next season, and he was happy to go along with that. They sign him to a long term deal, and then traded (or tried to trade) a 41 year old Tom Brady in March or April, after he'd taken them on one last play-off/SB run in 2017? I doubt the transition would go smoothly i.e. Brady knowing his long term future wasn't in NE beyond 2017. This type of move would probably stir up a hornets nest in the media too which would be an unwelcome mid season distraction as well.

Obviously Brady is a living god in NE, and his partnership with BB will probably go down as one of, if not THE, greatest HC/QB combo ever. Joe Montana was traded by the 49ers though. Would BB even contemplate trading TB or would he want to totally avoid tarnishing the fairy tale in anyway? Would the Patriots have been better served potentially trading away short term success for long term stability and potentially long term success?

What would a team give up for a 41 year old Tom Brady if he was available?

The TB/BB legacy is probably too great a thing to 'tarnish' with a trade though I suppose. Maybe JG would prefer to become a starting QB away from the shadow of Tom Brady too. Who knows, it's an interesting, if not slightly crazy thought though.
Old 01.11.2017, 02:55 PM
All Pro

I think that even if BB wanted to trade TB12, Kraft would make sure Brady stayed around and that his career ends in New England.

Now, consider the possibility that Belichick is playing a longer game here.
Send Garoppolo to the 49ers, they franchise tag him this off-season for a year and have him as their starter where behind a shocking O-line he looks like a bust.
He then becomes a free-agent the off-season after at which point Brady finally announces his retirement so Belichick then picks Garopplo back up to take Brady's place?

Or Brady plays until he's 48 and continues to dominate!
Old 01.11.2017, 03:13 PM
MVP

JG is the new Kevin Kolb, book it here...
Old 01.11.2017, 03:34 PM
All Pro

Why would you trade one of the top 3 QB's in the league at the moment (if not the best QB now Rodgers is injured)?

People will point to his age - but he has shown literally no signs of decline to this point. If anything he's actually got better the past two seasons, he has somehow refound how to throw the deep ball again, and got nimbler in the pocket!

You mention "potential" long term success. Potential being the big word. Ultimately we do not know if Jimmy will ever reach that level. We do know in the short term, Brady will bring that - and ultimately its the short term which matters.
Old 01.11.2017, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post
Yeah, I don't see Garoppolo being that great as a starter. I don't have any issue with the 49ers giving up a second rounder for him, and he can't fail to be better than Beathard, but I think his ceiling is "decent game manager"...
Old 01.11.2017, 04:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post
Matt Flynn also says hi.......
Old 01.11.2017, 04:53 PM
Pro Bowler

If i'm a Pats fan Brady goes when Brady wants to go.On top of all his past achievements and current play how are you going to ditch a guy who has always seen the bigger picture by signing cap-friendly contracts.Surely even the non-sentimental Patriots wouldn't even consider this move?
Old 01.11.2017, 06:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I know, it's almost blasphemous to think this (especially to Pats fans) but what if the Patriots had decided to try to trade Tom Brady at the end of the season instead of trading JG now?

What if they told JG the starting job was his as of next season, and he was happy to go along with that. They sign him to a long term deal, and then traded (or tried to trade) a 41 year old Tom Brady in March or April, after he'd taken them on one last play-off/SB run in 2017? I doubt the transition would go smoothly i.e. Brady knowing his long term future wasn't in NE beyond 2017. This type of move would probably stir up a hornets nest in the media too which would be an unwelcome mid season distraction as well.

Obviously Brady is a living god in NE, and his partnership with BB will probably go down as one of, if not THE, greatest HC/QB combo ever. Joe Montana was traded by the 49ers though. Would BB even contemplate trading TB or would he want to totally avoid tarnishing the fairy tale in anyway? Would the Patriots have been better served potentially trading away short term success for long term stability and potentially long term success?

What would a team give up for a 41 year old Tom Brady if he was available?

The TB/BB legacy is probably too great a thing to 'tarnish' with a trade though I suppose. Maybe JG would prefer to become a starting QB away from the shadow of Tom Brady too. Who knows, it's an interesting, if not slightly crazy thought though.
think if the Pats had decided that Jimmy G was the future the team would go down the Colts route with Manning and release him rather than trading him somewhere.on side issue on the Brady/Jimmy G front is they share an agent in Don Yee so they wouldn't have been able to promise something to either QB without really risking some blow back.
Old 01.11.2017, 10:16 PM
Starter

I think this one was discussed in the off-season as well... Brady is an exception to every rule in the book, and he’s worth a lot more in Foxboro than they would get in draft picks from anyone else for a 40-year-old. He could play at MVP level for another 5 years but that’s a lot more likely if he stays where he is, and potential trade partners would recognise that.

They will now have picks at the bottom of the first round and top of the second, they could take a young QB with either of those to develop as the next heir apparent/backup/trade bait, or they could package up those two picks to jump up to the middle of the first if there’s someone they like the look of. Or just sit and wait for a couple of years. They could pick up another ring or two in that time, while they watch other more desperate teams take a punt on a young QB.
Old 02.11.2017, 09:17 AM
Team Captain

What is the likelihood of TB/BB deciding to go at the same time? Could the masterplan be that once Brady goes BB will head off into the sunset as well, leaving the problem of replacing Brady to someone else...?

I also would expect that Brady would rather retire than go somewhere he is likely to get beaten to death behind a shaky O-Line moving into his 40's, he doesnt have the 2nd ring issue that Manning had.