Divisional round weekend - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 08.01.2018, 11:08 PM
All Pro

Default Divisional round weekend

For me my favourite weekend of the whole season no matter who’s playing, three really good games this time and who knows maybe the Titans can put up another performance like they did against the Chiefs in Foxboro!

What are our initial thoughts on the matchups?

Mine are below

Falcons @ Eagles - I think people are too easily writing off Philly here...that Philly D at home is nasty, and for as good as Atlanta looked this week the offence wasn’t exactly great. On the other side I fancy philly to go big Ajayi/Blount and run the ball down the Falcons throats...I do kinda think people are underrating Philly in this one - I’ll be picking them

Saints @ Vikings - matchup of the weekend for me. Just great matchups across the board on both sides of the ball, and really tough to call. I’m edging towards the Saints at the moment, think I fancy Brees to pull out just enough in a low scorer

Jags @ Steelers - personally I think Pittsburgh wins this one fairly comfortably. People will point to the first game where Jacksonville won in Heinz Field, but these two teams are so different to back then (Fournette is banged up, Pittsburgh’s offence is clicking on all cylinders now, the weather is a lot different in Pittsburgh in January than in October too!) I just can’t see the Jags D being able to hold Pittsburgh’s offence to a low enough score to be able to win. And that’s without the distinct possibility of Bortles giving away points...(he struggled with a bit of wind in Jacksonville on Sunday, imagine if there’s bad weather forecast for this game!!)

Titans @ Pats - on paper an easy Pats win, and I think we’ll be able to move the ball against Tennessee’s defence fairly routinely (Brady loves going up against that LeBeau scheme from when he was in Pittsburgh). I do think Tennessee will be able to run the ball on New England pretty comfortably, so if they can string together long drives and punch in touchdowns they have a shot (NE’s linebackers are truly truly awful)
Old 08.01.2018, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Could easily see three road wins here. I'll be gobsmacked if the Patriots don't win by at least 14 points, Tennessee may be the weakest Divisional Playoff team I can remember...
Old 08.01.2018, 11:31 PM
Hall of Fame

In the NFC I agree with Wayne, I could see road wins there.

Falcons @ Eagles - For as fearsome as the Eagles front 4 rotation can be I think the Falcons will find a way to do just enough. Their D seems to be motivated too, and the spotlight is well and truly on Foles to prove he's good enough. Will the pressure get to him one way or another? Surely they need some sort of passing threat to keep the Falcons from selling out to stop the run? The Eagles O line is good, as is their ground game, but can they score quickly if they need to?

Saints @ Vikings - The Vikings D is obviously very good, but with Cam Jordan playing like he is the Saints D could have an impact too. The Saints should be able to scheme or protect Brees enough for him to make a difference. He spreads the ball around so well to his different targets.

Jags @ Steelers - The Jags D is so good.......and Bortles is so bad. The Steelers 'Triplett's' (and their O line) vs this Jags D is a fascinating match up. A part of me wants to believe the Jags win this (with some chunck plays from Fournette), but it goes against the usual line of thinking about QB play and winning games. So i'll go for the Steelers winning a close one decided by the odd big play.

Titans @ Patriots - Until BB & TB are beaten I won't believe they can be. I think the Titans will put up points, and possibly get the odd turnover or two, but it just feels like 38-22 kind of a match up. For the Patriots obviously.
Old 09.01.2018, 01:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post

Jags @ Steelers - personally I think Pittsburgh wins this one fairly comfortably. People will point to the first game where Jacksonville won in Heinz Field, but these two teams are so different to back then (Fournette is banged up, Pittsburgh’s offence is clicking on all cylinders now, the weather is a lot different in Pittsburgh in January than in October too!) I just can’t see the Jags D being able to hold Pittsburgh’s offence to a low enough score to be able to win. And that’s without the distinct possibility of Bortles giving away points...(he struggled with a bit of wind in Jacksonville on Sunday, imagine if there’s bad weather forecast for this game!!)
The identity of the Steelers has flipped 180 over the second half of the season.Shazier was very close to being our best defender but he was far and away the hardest to replace.Teams with very limited offence such as Houston and Cleveland have had success in recent matchups against us.In this recent form Jax has a chance to generate enough points to contend as a ball-control based offence.A good start should force the Jags to open things up but might not be easy after a 2 week layoff,even more for AB.
Old 09.01.2018, 02:54 PM
Team Captain

I can only confidently (in my head) call 1 of the 4 games this weekend, that being the Pats turning over the Titans.

In the other 3 games I can make a case for either side winning.

Falcons/Eagles

Atlanta have hit a run at the right time and with Eagles coming off a bye, yes it's an extra weeks rest, but how does that compare to the momentum that the Falcons have gained by turning over the Rams. If they can get an effective run game going I fancy the Eagles to take it, if they can't then it's in Foles hands, I haven't seen enough of him to cast a judgement whether he is capable of carrying them over the line.

Vikings/Saints

The old adage Defence wins you championships, the Vikings D being the #1 ranked in the league, really intriguing matchup and I cannot wait to see how it pans out, I think the Saints have the better all round team if you factor in the offense (#2 ranked in the regular season) but that Vikings D has come up with the answers more often than not this season, if the Saints get a 2 score lead early, I don't have enough faith in Case Keenum turning the game around. I'd of like to have seen what difference Dalvin Cook would of made to this Vikings Offence, he looked electric until that early season injury.

Jags/Steelers

I'm edging slightly towards a Steelers win as they are a well oiled machine that's been there and done it, you can't rule out a massive game from the Jags D as they have had on many occasions this season and I recall them having 5 picks earlier in the year against them, how much will that be in Big Bens head??, they don't need a perfect game from Bortles, they just need him to be OK to give themselves a chance.
Old 09.01.2018, 03:30 PM
Team Captain

Falcons 23-17 Eagles

Saints 20-27 Vikings

Jaguars 16-27 Steelers

Titans 13-30 Patriots
Old 09.01.2018, 05:49 PM
Hall of Fame

The Divisional Round suffering this year due to the weakness of the AFC. Nothing is going to stop the Steelers/Pats match up which has been clear since the early part of the season

NFC much more interesting to watch, with a diverse range of teams in terms of strengths and approaches. Those 2 games promise a lot, but the Philly/Atlanta game has a Cartson Wentz shaped hole to overcome
Old 09.01.2018, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
The Divisional Round suffering this year due to the weakness of the AFC. Nothing is going to stop the Steelers/Pats match up which has been clear since the early part of the season

NFC much more interesting to watch, with a diverse range of teams in terms of strengths and approaches. Those 2 games promise a lot, but the Philly/Atlanta game has a Cartson Wentz shaped hole to overcome
Not sure I trust the Steelers tbh, that horror show from Roethlisberger earlier this season has to be playing on his mind. If Jacksonville can avoid turning it over, think they have every chance...
Old 09.01.2018, 06:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Not sure I trust the Steelers tbh, that horror show from Roethlisberger earlier this season has to be playing on his mind. If Jacksonville can avoid turning it over, think they have every chance...
No matter how good the Jags Defense may be, they cannot overcome Bortles's inability as a QB. He may not be as bad as he was on Sunday but there has to be a mighty improvement for the Jags to stay with a Steelers who I accept flaky at times. But even with that they are 2nd best of a pretty bad bunch

If Jags get some ST help, they may stay close, but I cant move on from what i had to witness against Buffalo
Old 09.01.2018, 07:06 PM
GOAT

the thing with being seen as a bad QB is the lack of focus on his weapons.

which are a fairly average group and let him down at times, so its another issue to overcome.

he going to be all about if the Jags can pound the rock, control the clock and then make the big plays on D.

the Steelers can score so quickly that a couple of slight errors could see things fall apart quickly and Bortles running for his life.

the Vikings/Saints is really tough to call as there is a relative balance which should make things even, Saints might have a slight edge but hopefully the Vikes win.

Falcons on paper should beat the Eagles but its hard to write them off.

Titans-Pats, hmmmm maybe MM ca throw him self some more passes. Pats likely stomp the yard but if they can get to Brady early and often, maybe the biggest shock could happen, i might as well live in hope.