2019 season (continuing to update) - Page 57 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 13.03.2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Cam Wake to the Titans on a 3 year deal worth up to $23m, with $10m guaranteed.
Old 13.03.2019, 07:31 AM
MVP

When I saw what the Brown's had given up for Beckham I just had to pop in here and see goodkarma's explosion.

Boy, thats an awful deal!
Old 13.03.2019, 07:46 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Have to agree with Goodkarma - this is an absolutely abysmal trade for the Giants. Peppers is a JAG, a mid first and third rounder for Odell is daylight robbery!

I have never ever understood this “he’s a locker room issue” narrative - all he wants is to win, and sometimes his emotions boil over because the Giants are a bum team who clearly have absolutely no idea what they are doing. But hey, at least Eli is still around to curl up into the fetal position anytime a defender brushes him...!
He clearly was an issue in the locker room, or they anticipated it. As I said the other day, a few teams would react to how Brown got out of Pittsburgh. That's one reaction. It's not a great haul but it is a much better haul than Pittsburgh received. Teams know what value is, so for them to take that deal tells you something or other was in the background.
Old 13.03.2019, 07:49 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Le’Veon Bell to the Jets.

A 4-year deal for $52.5m with a maximum value of $61m and includes $35m guaranteed.
Isn't that worse than the deal the Steelers offered last summer?

The talent is off the charts, the challenge will be keeping Bell focussed on football, with all the off the field distractions, and strong personalities. It's a high risk, high reward move for the Jets
Old 13.03.2019, 07:57 AM
MVP

I cant get behind this issue in the locker room talk. If they produce on the field, you simply put up with it. The rest of the roster should too. They'll regret moaning next season when they go 0-16 without him.

I just cant believe the Giants accepted a mid round 1st for him. He's their best player, by a country mile, and one of the best receivers in the league. Surely you dont even entertain any offers that dont contain a top 5 pick.

I bet Eli isn't sleeping well tonight either. He doesn't even have Spiderman to catch his dodgy throws next season!
Old 13.03.2019, 07:59 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Le’Veon Bell to the Jets.

A 4-year deal for $52.5m with a maximum value of $61m and includes $35m guaranteed.
The Steelers offered Bell $70m over 5 years and, with $33m guaranteed, and $45m over the first three years.

Is the Jets deal better than that really? $2 million more guaranteed. As predicted, by the time you take into account the lost $14.5m last year from sitting out, Bell is going to be worse off. As predicted, he didn't have the market he thought. As predicted, nobody was going to say "oh you didn't play last year, let's give you financial credit for not having tread on the tyres". The delay was waiting for better offers to come in and as I said last night there were numerous smokescreens being put out about interest that wasn't really there to try to get the only serious contender to pay more. If he thought he was getting a Gurley level contract he must be disappointed.

I expect we will start hearing lots of negatives about the Steelers locker room from Bell and his agent very soon, because Bell is clearly a 'save face' kind of guy and he doesn't save face on the financials of this deal. So he will need to spin it as "I just had to get away from those guys".

The narrative about the Steelers being cheapskates was always nonsense. The Steelers don't do heavy guaranteed money. They are not alone in that. But then when it comes to Bell, nor does the rest of the league, apparently. He hit free agency and got $2m more than Pittsburgh offered in guarantees, that's it. The Steelers made AB the highest paid WR, they gave Roethlisberger a big contract, they made Pouncey the highest paid center and they tried to make Bell the highest paid RB but he wasn't happy with it. They paid Shazier last year when some teams might not have, and allowed the contract to toll this year so he continues to get salary plus medical cover - it was the right thing to do. The team has been near the bottom of the cap room table for what seems like years. This is not a cheapskate franchise.

Good luck to Bell. The Jets have bolstered their O line - good for them and Bell will need it. But is he really in a better situation than he was?

As for Bell's agent, I doubt he'll be seeing a mad rush of new clients.

Last edited by European Bob; 13.03.2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 13.03.2019, 08:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
I cant get behind this issue in the locker room talk. If they produce on the field, you simply put up with it. The rest of the roster should too. They'll regret moaning next season when they go 0-16 without him.

I just cant believe the Giants accepted a mid round 1st for him. He's their best player, by a country mile, and one of the best receivers in the league. Surely you dont even entertain any offers that dont contain a top 5 pick.

I bet Eli isn't sleeping well tonight either. He doesn't even have Spiderman to catch his dodgy throws next season!
They've had 1 winning season with him there though. Shows that a star WR alone isn't that big a factor.
Old 13.03.2019, 08:15 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
They've had 1 winning season with him there though. Shows that a star WR alone isn't that big a factor.
Its only going to get worse without him though! They are in an almost identical situation to what we were going into last season. A star running back and no receivers. We ended up having to give up our 1st round for this years draft to simply salvage our season! Beckham wasn't why they've only had one winning season, its the rest of the roster. What they've received for him, is certainly not going to fix that.
Old 13.03.2019, 08:39 AM
All Pro

The issue no one likes to talk about with Beckham is his injuries.

He's played 16 games once in 5 years (And 15 games once with a suspension)

Can you rely on him to stay fit? Questionable.

There is the waft of Sammy Watkins about him, brilliant, but flawed due to injuries so you can't rely on him

Last edited by BuffaloG; 13.03.2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 13.03.2019, 10:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
Its only going to get worse without him though! They are in an almost identical situation to what we were going into last season. A star running back and no receivers. We ended up having to give up our 1st round for this years draft to simply salvage our season! Beckham wasn't why they've only had one winning season, its the rest of the roster. What they've received for him, is certainly not going to fix that.
No, it’s not like the Cowboys. You guys have a better O-line and a better QB (in 2018/19 anyway). I think if the Giants can fix the QB and O-line and get a decent/solid receiver it will be an overall improvement. And that’s purely on-field, forgetting any off the field stuff.

I can understand Giants fans might feel short changed, but trust me I’d sure take a first and a third and a decent safety right now. Maybe the Browns won this trade, but I’m not ready to say so just yet. Beckham certainly won with a new deal.