ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 05.03.2008, 12:42 PM
MVP

Default Re:ProTour Cycling Thread

I'm a Lance fan, and I have to say the years when Ullrich raced were more exciting than the years he did not. Nobody else seemed a serious challenge to Lance.
Old 05.03.2008, 12:43 PM
MVP

This whole UCI vs ASO pssing contest is pssing me off
Old 10.03.2008, 12:52 PM
All Pro

Looks like the UCI were blowing a lot of hot air out their backsides re: riders starting the Paris - Nice. All 160 turned up to start and have kinda called the UCI's bluff. What they going to do now? Suspend ALL the riders??!! Pat McQuaid is a donkey.
On the racing side, a good win for Hushovd in the prologue, but a disappointing 12th for Millar. Ok, the conditions were poor, but this is one of his main objectives this year. Just seen too that the 1st Stage has been reduced to the last 74km because of the atrocious weather we are having today - cant be nice on the bike at all!!
Old 13.03.2008, 04:15 PM
All Pro

Freire wins Tirreno-Adriatico opener

Spain's Oscar Freire of the Rabobank team has won the opening stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico.

The three-times world road race champion beat Italy's Alessandro Petacchi and Spain's Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil in a sprint finish on the first day of the week-long race.

Australia's Robbie McEwen won the same stage in last year's race with a late attack in the chicane 300 metres from the finish.

McEwen was first through the two corners again this year but did not manage to open up a gap and Freire accelerated past him to win.

"I felt good during the stage. I knew it was going to be difficult, especially at the end, but I had a good position going into the last corner," said the 32-year-old Freire, who won the race in 2005.

Wonder what the odds are, for the Tour, on Freire?
Old 15.03.2008, 10:46 AM
Pro Bowler

[quote author=Arz The Mohawked Lion Fan link=board=23;threadid=32269;start=15#msg852913 date=1203523789]
Is Cancellara still riding for csc? That the team I try to follow
[/quote]

Looks like CSC are pulling out of cycling at the end of this season. They have a decent team so hopefully a new sponsor can be found.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/140320...ship-year.html
Old 31.03.2008, 11:08 AM
All Pro

Great showing from the British Track Team over the last few days!
9 Golds says we've got a great chance at the Olympics. Wonder why the talent we see at the track never quite translates to the European road circuit though? Obviously people like Millar, Cavendish and Wiggins have made it, but surely we should see more Brits out there mixing it with the big boys by now??

Old 18.04.2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Not too sure if this story should have been released on April 1st or not, but they are thinking of having a "play off" system during the first week of the vuelta. Meaning teams have to qualify for the 2nd week and onwards of the race. The organisers say it is to try and liven up the first week. Personally I always find the first week interesting enough, with the major sprinters teams trying to control the race for the mass sprints.

http://tinyurl.com/6khbax
Old 06.05.2008, 12:03 PM
All Pro

Petacchi to miss Tour de France.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/060520...-tour-ban.html

Shame, as hes been one of the best sprinters around - he'll be 35 by the time next years event comes around, so, unless he can do a "Cipo", it looks like his time as a top fastman may be coming to a close. All because he took a bit too much asthma inhaler. Crazy.
Old 07.05.2008, 08:50 AM
All Pro

Astana "in it to win it" at Giro
Eurosport - Sun, 04 May

Astana will line up their best possible team in the Giro d'Italia despite a late invitation to the three-week race, sporting director Alain Gallopin said.

Giro organisers RCS confirmed on Sunday that they had invited Astana to take part in the three-week race, which starts on Saturday, after having originally left out the Kazakh team.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/040520...-win-giro.html

Lets hope we can start getting back to something like normality now! Get the big teams in the big races, and get interest in the sport going again. Cant wait for the start of the Giro - always seems more of a "romantic" race to me than the Tour (but then I love Italy and its people). Forza Italia!
Old 07.05.2008, 09:30 AM
All Pro

Heres the startlist and the route for the Giro this year - if anyones interested!

http://giro.cyclingfever.com/editie....ditie_id=18757

and a couple of funny vids!

http://www.grassyknolltv.com/movies/...ory-spills.mov