ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 52 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 10.07.2009, 06:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Great finish today. Was it a "team tactic" for Contador to take off like that in the final few km's? if it was then there is no doubt who the team think is their leader, if it wasn't part of the team tactics then the evening meal should be fun
The most surprising sight of the day though surely was Bradley Wiggins bringing up the lead riders. What was he doing right up there. Well done Bradley!

Here are the latest standings in the fantasy comp after yesterdays stage:

1 wisconsin wheelers 1498
2 Jawaboy's Wheeled Raiders 1060
3 Rory's Rouleurs 979
4 Rapid Riders 430
Old 10.07.2009, 07:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepacker View Post
Great finish today. Was it a "team tactic" for Contador to take off like that in the final few km's? if it was then there is no doubt who the team think is their leader, if it wasn't part of the team tactics then the evening meal should be fun
The most surprising sight of the day though surely was Bradley Wiggins bringing up the lead riders. What was he doing right up there. Well done Bradley!

Here are the latest standings in the fantasy comp after yesterdays stage:

1 wisconsin wheelers 1498
2 Jawaboy's Wheeled Raiders 1060
3 Rory's Rouleurs 979
4 Rapid Riders 430
I thought the very same thing with Astana that Contador is the man and they let it be known today....

Bradley was amazing really pleased for him I did wonder why he was bashing the Garmin van though but what a ride can he keep in touch be hard but I'd love to see it..
Old 11.07.2009, 10:24 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepacker View Post
I suspect once it gets that late in the stage you have a free role to do whatever you want when you're Alberto Contador. He wasn't just attacking his team-mates but attacking Evans and the rest too. It was nice to see Evans attack today, breaking the habit of a lifetime! Someone must have really annoyed him. Maybe the fact that it failed tells me I've been right about him all along...

Also thought it was good timing of Contador to attack when Evans' team-mate was up the road a bit, Evans was all along with two Astana's to watch him when Contador went.
Old 11.07.2009, 01:51 PM
All Pro

Nice to be watching a live race as been catching up with the highlights each night due to working this week...

Be great when we have a British team in the tour i think they will be called team sky but not sure...
Old 11.07.2009, 01:59 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Warrior View Post
Nice to be watching a live race as been catching up with the highlights each night due to working this week...

Be great when we have a British team in the tour i think they will be called team sky but not sure...
"BSkyB has announced the creation of a professional British road cycling team, Team Sky, to be managed by Great Britain Olympic performance director Dave Brailsford CBE.

Team Sky will build on the principles that make British riders a consistent success on the track and will support Sky’s work as Principal Partner of British Cycling, fuelling the sport from grass roots to elite level.

Team Sky will aim to:

* Create the first British winner of the Tour de France, within five years.
* Inspire people of all ages and abilities to get on their bikes, through the team’s positive profile, attitude and success.
* Add further support to competitive cycling in Great Britain."
Old 11.07.2009, 03:33 PM
All Pro

Poor Sandy Casar coming second again. He really is to stages what Cadel Evans is to the GC. Still got good points for me though
Old 11.07.2009, 07:03 PM
All Pro

Not seen the full stage classification yet, was at work, but i don't think i've had a great day today.
Old 11.07.2009, 09:54 PM
Team Captain

Got the winner today (Luis Leon Sanchez). Will get me a few points, but will still need a mountain of points to catch the rest of you up.
Old 12.07.2009, 07:01 AM
All Pro

Shame Efimkin went a day later than I said otherwise Yorkie would be really freaked out now! Tuned in yesterday for an hour - what stunnning scenery. Thats one of the draws of the sport for me, absolutely beautiful. One day I will get there to watch...
As for today - the climbs of the Aspin and Tourmalet should see the pack blow wide open. The favs will all be up there but I cant see Wiggins staying with them today. How well has he done so far though??!! Brilliant effort!
Not sure who will get it today with a long 70kms downhill to the finish. I think there will be a group that goes so maybe all rounders like Bruseghin, Voigt, Fedrigo, Roche or even Pelizotti. After his lone break a couple of years ago we could see the same, as its a very similar stage....

Last edited by KingKosar; 12.07.2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12.07.2009, 07:20 AM
Pro Bowler

You are right about the scenery Andy. I love the montage's they do at the end of each itv4 programme, in fact if they added them all together and put them on dvd I would buy it. There is something very unique about the sport of cycling as a spectacle with all the teams colours whizzing past the stunning back drops.
I am looking forward to 23rd July as that is the time trial around lake Annecy where I had 5 days holiday last summer. The route basically circles the huge lake. Why did we choose Annecy? well, I had seen it on a previous tour as the riders briefly passed through and made a mental note to go there, and we were not disappointed as it is beautiful.