New York Jets Thread - Page 765 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 28.08.2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well, Josh McCown has won the starting QB "battle". Or, to be more accurate, Hack lost it. Don't think Bowles really had much option tbh...
Old 29.08.2017, 07:45 AM
Starter

I agree he probably does give us the best chance to win games, although it is a very small sample size I can't say I am impressed with Hack at all. For a big guy he has such a low introverted demeanour which in the Ra Ra of the NFL Locker room and at QB seems lost unless he has superior intelligence...which I doubt either. I have real doubts he would ever have the gravitas to command an Offence.

Petty on the other hand seems to be developing nicely and has the 'All American Kid' look and talk about him which is infectious. He is far from a franchise QB at this stage but from what we have seen unless Hack is lighting it up at camp (which rumours would suggest not) I would keep Petty over Hack all day long....just whether Mac is willing to admit his mistake.

On other matters - like you Wayne I think the Ealy pick-up is a good bit of business. If he can add a legitimate outside pass-rush to our front 7 then we are set.

Lee's coverage skills against the Giants was shocking I hope that he just laid an egg that game as was really looking for him to step up this season.

Talking of step up (all be it pre-season) fair play to Josh Martin who looks like he is playing his way into the LB Starting rotation alongside ST...few bright spots within the eclipse !
Old 29.08.2017, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

The Jets will induct Kevin Mawae into their Ring of Honor at Half Time of the October 1st game against Jacksonville. Well deserved...
Old 30.08.2017, 05:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Surprised by the signing of Kony Ealy, especially since DL is one of our few strong positions, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Ealy came close to being the Super Bowl MVP a couple of years ago, is still young and apparently only counts $800,000 against the Cap this year.

Of course, there's a possibility he was mainly brought in to give up any insider information on the Patriots, but I think he could be a solid situational player for us.

He's also Sheldon Richardson's cousin, so maybe he can keep him in line...
I still think that Ealy can play football, he just didn't want to do what the Patriots asked him to, I think. Only reason he'd be treated this way I think.

Will never understand the "bring them in for the info" idea. Patriots are a gameplan team and the core ideas aren't particularly useful if you've studied them on film surely. Didn't seem to work the last 10 times the Jets and Bills tried it either.
Old 01.09.2017, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sad to see Sheldon go, but we were never keeping the big 3 on the DL long term, and he was always going to be the odd man out. I'm fairly meh on Kearse, but getting him and a 2nd rounder is a great bit of business...
Old 02.09.2017, 11:24 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Sad to see Sheldon go, but we were never keeping the big 3 on the DL long term, and he was always going to be the odd man out. I'm fairly meh on Kearse, but getting him and a 2nd rounder is a great bit of business...
If you throw the Ealy signing in to the equation as a catalyst for this then we've made significant cap savings, got two players at positions of need and got a second round pick (which granted may be a pretty low one). Can't grumble at that. I still think Richardson may be a better player than Mo, but no doubt he's the bigger risk too. The roster is more balanced now and we've reduced the likelihood of cutting a good depth player because of an embarrassment of DL riches. Good work.
Old 04.09.2017, 09:45 AM
MVP

No issues with getting rid of Sheldon and a low second rounder and Kearse in the circumstances is fine.

Especially when added to the other summer moves.
Old 04.09.2017, 10:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
I still think that Ealy can play football, he just didn't want to do what the Patriots asked him to, I think. Only reason he'd be treated this way I think.

Will never understand the "bring them in for the info" idea. Patriots are a gameplan team and the core ideas aren't particularly useful if you've studied them on film surely. Didn't seem to work the last 10 times the Jets and Bills tried it either.
As usual a pats fans seeing it very one sided, I have never heard anyone at Jets'/bills claim this as a reason anyway, and Pats have also signed many ex Jets players.

With 55 on a roster every year the cross over in talent at the lower end of the roster will always be massive within a division, especially as id think people would prefer not to up root their whole family where possible and move half way across the country.

Also Pats (no matter what people claim) haven't had it all their own way against those in their division and even when they are hugely dominant the Bills and Jets usually give them a good game and have actually had answers that other teams have struggled to do against the pats - so maybe it does work to some extent- especially when you consider the gulf in talent between the rosters....
Old 05.09.2017, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

We've re-signed Jeremy Kerley, to give our WR corps a bit more experience. Not sure why we stopped using him during his first spell with us, happy to see him back...
Old 06.09.2017, 08:23 AM
All Pro

Quote:
We've re-signed Jeremy Kerley, to give our WR corps a bit more experience. Not sure why we stopped using him during his first spell with us, happy to see him back...
It was a Chan thing, Kerley admitted as much. He didn't fit what Gailey wanted so he didn't get any reps. We undoubtedly needed some experience without Enunwa and Kearse/Kerley provide it, though you can argue all day long about whether Decker could have provided more benefit, but that's water under the bridge. It's been a strange off-season and some of the decisions have been a bit baffling to say the least.