Politics - Page 51 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

  #501  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:35 PM
towen5's Avatar
towen5 towen5 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 16.09.2006
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
If you had to pay my local taxes you would realize what this means, now you're wearing the presumptive shoes, good fit or tight around your toes.
Not only are you presuming the same for the entire forum but youre presuming the American mentality is the same as the British mentality.

You are wrong, not because of your point but because its different for every person.

I value international politics WAY above my local council and whether my bins are collected on time. I dont even care how much tax I pay, as long as its being used effectively (which demands more attention on national politics as opposed to regional).

So to me, youre completely wrong, as you were about British people not caring about 9/11
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:37 PM
PurpleLion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mande!LA View Post
quote (kwt) 1. To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source. 2. To cite or refer to for illustration or proof. 3. To repeat a brief passage or excerpt from: The saxophonist quoted a Duke Ellington melody in his solo. 4. To state (a price) for securities, goods, or services. v.intr. To give a quotation, as from a book. Just to help your english out PurpleLion
Definition number one states the word another, who knows if that person did exist, that makes a difference from just copying any texts.
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:41 PM
mande!LA's Avatar
mande!LA mande!LA is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 15.01.2009
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
Definition number one states the word another, who knows if that person did exist, that makes a difference from just copying any texts.
PL it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Did you even bother reading the definition or did you just pick out a word that you think you could contest and debate?
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:42 PM
PurpleLion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mande!LA View Post
So you are saying that your local taxes are more important than the health of your family? I just pressumed you were of a sane state of mind.
Money devoted to local taxes is less money for bills, health insurance and other emergencies that seem to occur at the worst time.
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:44 PM
mande!LA's Avatar
mande!LA mande!LA is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 15.01.2009
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
Money devoted to local taxes is less money for bills, health insurance and other emergencies that seem to occur at the worst time.
Doesn't answer the question. You just stated a fact relevant to the impact of local taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:52 PM
PurpleLion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
Not only are you presuming the same for the entire forum but youre presuming the American mentality is the same as the British mentality. You are wrong, not because of your point but because its different for every person. I value international politics WAY above my local council and whether my bins are collected on time. I dont even care how much tax I pay, as long as its being used effectively (which demands more attention on national politics as opposed to regional). So to me, youre completely wrong, as you were about British people not caring about 9/11
The local taxes in this country are paid for my city of more than 1/2 million, quite more than your average British city, then state taxes and the federal taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 26.03.2010, 03:56 PM
towen5's Avatar
towen5 towen5 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 16.09.2006
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
The local taxes in this country are paid for my city of more than 1/2 million, quite more than your average British city, then state taxes and the federal taxes.
I dont see how that would affect the fact some people care more about their nation than their city.

We were talking about British people and their view of internation events and then you bring up taxes in the US. Its not the same and you dont seem to understand that.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 26.03.2010, 04:03 PM
PurpleLion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mande!LA View Post
PL it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Did you even bother reading the definition or did you just pick out a word that you think you could contest and debate?
You provided the definition, they are literal, words mean things, quotes must have a person who's attached, fictional or actual, text copying is not akin to quotations.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 26.03.2010, 04:08 PM
mande!LA's Avatar
mande!LA mande!LA is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 15.01.2009
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
You provided the definition, they are literal, words mean things, quotes must have a person who's attached, fictional or actual, text copying is not akin to quotations.
I provided the definition. You said it wasn't a quote. By definition it was. Therefore it is a quote. No matter how you phrase your grievances PL, it does not detract from the fact you are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 26.03.2010, 04:09 PM
towen5's Avatar
towen5 towen5 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 16.09.2006
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLion View Post
You provided the definition, they are literal, words mean things, quotes must have a person who's attached, fictional or actual, text copying is not akin to quotations.
Whether you believe the bible to be fictional or not - its still a quote and youve just proved that yourself.

Its a piece of discourse and therefore can be quoted.

After a brief period of being interesting youre back to talking nonsense again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 11:24 AM.