Lito Sheppard to be released - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 02.03.2010, 12:26 PM
MVP

Default Lito Sheppard to be released

No real surprise considering he was never going to see this $10 million bonus and he had fallen out of favour.I felt he was a decent player when healthy but he was constantly getting hurt.I feel Lowrey can do just as an effective job.

Quote:
Lito is finito ยป

By Rich Cimini

You can file this one under the "Tell-me-something-I-don't know" department, but, hey, it's our job to bring you news, no matter how obvious it seems. It has been confirmed that the Jets will release CB Lito Sheppard on Friday.

If there was any doubt about Sheppard, it was erased Jan. 24, when Rex Ryan sent him to the end of the bench for the AFC Championship Game. If it weren't for the injury to Donald Strickland, Sheppard probably wouldn't have played at all.

On March 9, Sheppard was due a $10 million option bonus that would've triggered another four-year contract -- and there was no way the Jets were going to pay that. So he will become a free agent.

Did a little research on ProFootballFocus.com and uncovered interesting tidbits about the Jets' cornerback performance in 2009. Dwight Lowery and Sheppard finished fifth and sixth in the league, respectively, in the category of percentage of passes completed -- 47.9 and 48.1. (By definition, that's the percentages of balls completed into a player's coverage.)

Based on that stat, Lowery should be the odds-on favorite to replace Sheppard, but it looks like the Jets will use the draft and maybe a trade to fortify that area.

By the way, some guy named Revis led the NFL in that category at 36.9%.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...#ixzz0h1MIKlpj
Old 02.03.2010, 03:46 PM
Starter

like Cimini said, this is by no means a surprise. Lito was just a big dissapointment this season. Not 100% sure about Lowery tbh, hes shown glimpses of being a good CB, this is the 'make or break' 3rd season for him so lets keep our fingers crosed he proves to be a good partner for Revis Christ

Tags
2010 offseason , jets , lito sheppard