Contract status - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 21.04.2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Updated to reflect tenders that have been signed
Old 22.04.2010, 10:17 AM
Team Captain

That list for next year is just getting longer...

I don't mean to be a pain, but any chance of putting what position they all play into the list? I'm sure I know most of them, but it'd just be handy for a quick reference.
Old 23.04.2010, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixbolts View Post
That list for next year is just getting longer...

I don't mean to be a pain, but any chance of putting what position they all play into the list? I'm sure I know most of them, but it'd just be handy for a quick reference.
No worries, updated. Couldn't decide on the positions for Gregory or Bingham
Old 04.05.2010, 04:00 PM
Rookie

The people that expire at the end of 2010 is getting longer as we get closer. We need to sort that out now - either through new signings (HIGH QUALITY ONES) or contract extensions.
Old 04.05.2010, 06:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargermad#1 View Post
The people that expire at the end of 2010 is getting longer as we get closer. We need to sort that out now - either through new signings (HIGH QUALITY ONES) or contract extensions.
No new signings are forthcoming, free agency isn't really our thing in any case but this years best guys are gone already. As for new contracts we will ideally get some guys sorted before the next offseason but there may be problems in an uncapped year as I think we can only offer a 30% salary increase, generally the guys we need to negotiate with are coming off rookie deals and will want decent contracts so it may be problematic right now.
Old 04.05.2010, 07:14 PM
Pro

Hopefully we can get O'Neil, VJ and Merriman all signed quickly as we don't need distractions going into the main part of Minicamps etc. I would also hope that Merriman can find the form before he was injured as we could use him honestly.
Old 05.05.2010, 02:38 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2G View Post
Hopefully we can get O'Neil, VJ and Merriman all signed quickly as we don't need distractions going into the main part of Minicamps etc. I would also hope that Merriman can find the form before he was injured as we could use him honestly.
It's not likely we will sign all three, VJ is pretty likely to get a contract unless he messes up off the field yet again, McNeill and the Chargers appear to have different opinions on his value though it's likely an agreement will be reached eventually. We don't seem that interested in signing Merriman to an extension, I don't think we want to lose him for nothing next offseason but a new deal seems very unlikely. I personally think Gates should be our priority, then deciding whether we offer VJ a big deal (provided we can under the 30% rule I made reference to in a previous post.
This 30% rule is an issue as a player cannot be offered a contract that increases his base salary by more than 30% in it's first year, thats not a big issue if the player in question is coming off a decent deal but for guys on their rookie deals and particularly later round picks thats makes it very hard to get a new deal done. For example should Clary pick up his form at RT from this season and have a good year then he should be inline for a much improved deal and getting it done before a new CBA is in place would be difficult.
Thankfully a few of the guys out of contract this season are eligible for restricted tags next year, players like Weddle, Naanee, Siler and Tolbert can be tagged for another year.
Old 05.05.2010, 02:43 PM
MVP

So help me understand this

your saying that you can only offer a 30% increase in wages in the 1st year of a new contract. Is that in general or just when there isnt a CBA

So then what happens at the end of this season when they become free agents? offer them deals and hope they sign with us or face loosing them?

If a new CBA is inplace before the end of this season can we then offer new contracts with over a 30% increase?
Old 05.05.2010, 02:53 PM
MVP

a couple of articles explaining it

http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/5/3...e-and-a-vernon

and

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03...cent-rule.html

first one is a 49ers article but can relate to us
Old 05.05.2010, 03:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
So help me understand this

your saying that you can only offer a 30% increase in wages in the 1st year of a new contract. Is that in general or just when there isnt a CBA

So then what happens at the end of this season when they become free agents? offer them deals and hope they sign with us or face loosing them?

If a new CBA is inplace before the end of this season can we then offer new contracts with over a 30% increase?
As the articles you found say it's to do with the end of the old CBA rather than this being an uncapped year. If a new CBA is agreed it presumably ends the issue, if it isn't then the NFL is in more than enough trouble that whether guys are or aren't free agents becomes sort of a non-issue.