Canadian Football League - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 26.04.2011, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Football League

EDIT: WATCH CFL HERE: http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-games-on-demand/

Had a search of the forum but there appears to have been no mention of the CFL for a few years now.

I support the Argonauts, just wondering whether there are any fellow CFL fans lurking around here?

I was fortunate enough to catch a game at the Rogers Centre last September when I was over in Toronto - Winnepeg Blue Bombers @ Toronto Argonauts. Was a fun time, very different form an NFL game. Got some pictures on my photobucket if anyones interested:

http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee453/jrt55555/

Last edited by jrt55555; 20.06.2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 26.04.2011, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Nice photos!

What did you think of the city?! I am contemplating a trip to America's Toupee aka Canada!
Old 26.04.2011, 11:45 AM
All Pro

Judging by the crowd, there doesn't seem to be much interest for the CFL in Canada either.
Old 27.04.2011, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman4 View Post
Nice photos!

What did you think of the city?! I am contemplating a trip to America's Toupee aka Canada!
I've been to Toronto 3 or 4 times now and I couldn't recommend it highly enough

Its a really great city with loads to see. The CN tower is right on the harbourfront with great views of the whole city. I also highly recommend the harbour boat trip (see first photo above!). There's a lot of sports related stuff too, with the Hockey Hall of Fame, Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays and Argos. Plus of course the Bills :P

Plus you're only an hour or so's drive from Niagara Falls, which really is something worth seeing - pictures can't do justice to its enormity! I've also been to visit Ottawa and Quebec City which are a couple of hours north, and are also great to visit, although I found Quebec was like a Disney version of Paris

Finally, the people are so friendly and welcoming. Torontonians really love their city
Old 27.04.2011, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
Judging by the crowd, there doesn't seem to be much interest for the CFL in Canada either.
Yes, it wasn't exactly packed to the rafters although that's not true accross Canada, the Sasketchewan Roughriders seem to always fill the stands for example. I think Toronto is just a bit spoiled for sport - Maple Leafs tickets are like golddust and the Raptors and Blue Jays are popular too.

The CFL definitely is poles apart from the NFL though, in a refreshing way I found. For example, we went to a bar across the road after the game and half the team and cheerleaders came in after the game and met with the fans.

I know Mike Carlson is a Montreal Alouettes fan, you might remember him dancing to himself on channel 4 when he found out that they'd won the Grey Cup (CFL's Super Bowl)

Last edited by jrt55555; 27.04.2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 27.04.2011, 09:52 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post
Yes, it wasn't exactly packed to the rafters although that's not true accross Canada, the Sasketchewan Roughriders seem to always fill the stands for example. I think Toronto is just a bit spoiled for sport - Maple Leafs tickets are like golddust and the Raptors and Blue Jays are popular too.

The CFL definitely is poles apart from the NFL though, in a refreshing way I found. For example, we went to a bar across the road after the game and half the team and cheerleaders came in after the game and met with the fans.

I know Mike Carlson is a Montreal Alouettes fan, you might remember him dancing to himself on channel 4 when he found out that they'd won the Grey Cup (CFL's Super Bowl)
Makes you think that if rumours that the Bills may move to Toronto are true, then maybe long term the support on game day will not be there.
Old 27.04.2011, 10:05 AM
Pro Bowler

I'm going to Vancouver in September and noticed the Lions are playing Toronto at home. As I won't be seeing any NFL games this year I might give it a try. Although at the moment the only tickets I can get are from season ticket holders. Will wait to see if any come on ticketmaster 1st, because I am not sure what support is like there for them.
Old 27.04.2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstar View Post
I'm going to Vancouver in September and noticed the Lions are playing Toronto at home. As I won't be seeing any NFL games this year I might give it a try. Although at the moment the only tickets I can get are from season ticket holders. Will wait to see if any come on ticketmaster 1st, because I am not sure what support is like there for them.
I got my Argos tickets from Ticketmaster, and if that's anything to go by then you shouldn't struggle to get tickets even at about a week's notice!

BC Lions star Yonus Davis shows that offseason idle time is as much trouble for CFL players as it is for NFL players. He was recently arrested for the possession of nearly 30 kilos of ecstasy in California...
Old 27.04.2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
Makes you think that if rumours that the Bills may move to Toronto are true, then maybe long term the support on game day will not be there.
I actually think that Toronto would support an NFL team. Its the 4th largest city in North America with 5 million people living in the greater toronto area. Its a big sports town and the CFL and NFL atmosphere are simply incomparable...

Last edited by jrt55555; 27.04.2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 28.04.2011, 09:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post
I've been to Toronto 3 or 4 times now and I couldn't recommend it highly enough

Its a really great city with loads to see. The CN tower is right on the harbourfront with great views of the whole city. I also highly recommend the harbour boat trip (see first photo above!). There's a lot of sports related stuff too, with the Hockey Hall of Fame, Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays and Argos. Plus of course the Bills :P

Plus you're only an hour or so's drive from Niagara Falls, which really is something worth seeing - pictures can't do justice to its enormity! I've also been to visit Ottawa and Quebec City which are a couple of hours north, and are also great to visit, although I found Quebec was like a Disney version of Paris

Finally, the people are so friendly and welcoming. Torontonians really love their city

Awesome thanks for the tips!

Im thinking of doing a two week trip next February or March, one week in Montreal and one in Toronto to catch a lot of hockey.

Tags
canada , canadian football league , cfl , eskimos , lcf , tnf , toronto