Canadian Football League - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 29.04.2011, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman4 View Post
Awesome thanks for the tips!

Im thinking of doing a two week trip next February or March, one week in Montreal and one in Toronto to catch a lot of hockey.
I suggest you start looking early for Leafs tickets then. From what I heard when I was there they're really hard to get hold of and they've sold out games for straight decades (despite the level of play )
Old 29.04.2011, 08:11 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstar View Post
I'm going to Vancouver in September and noticed the Lions are playing Toronto at home. As I won't be seeing any NFL games this year I might give it a try. Although at the moment the only tickets I can get are from season ticket holders. Will wait to see if any come on ticketmaster 1st, because I am not sure what support is like there for them.
I was in Vancouver last summer and managed to catch a home game against Montreal. It was good fun although it wasn't in the normal stadium it was having a new roof put on it. If they're back in the normal stadium this year then tickets should be no problem as it hold around 50,000. However if they're still in the temporary stadium then it could be trickier as that only holds about half that number.

Vancouver's a quality place to go to though so you should have a great time either way.
Old 11.05.2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

The 2011 CFL Draft took place last Sunday at 12.30pm ET. Notable amongst the main issues of the day's proceedings was the interesting effects that the continuing NFL lockout is causing within the Candian game.

I wrote a blog entry about it which you can read here:

NFL Lockout's Effect Felt North of The Border: CFL Draft 2011
Old 11.05.2011, 04:09 PM
All Pro

My first ever football experience was the Edmonton Eskimos against the Calgary Stampeders in 1998. I went to see the Eskimos again in 2003. Planning on following the CFL a bit more closely this year as I'm going out to Edmonton again soon and I'm suffering major football withdrawal symptoms.

Jrt55555 I posted a couple questions on your excellent blog post
Old 11.05.2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocheb73 View Post
My first ever football experience was the Edmonton Eskimos against the Calgary Stampeders in 1998. I went to see the Eskimos again in 2003. Planning on following the CFL a bit more closely this year as I'm going out to Edmonton again soon and I'm suffering major football withdrawal symptoms.

Jrt55555 I posted a couple questions on your excellent blog post
That 1998 Edmonton-Calgary game must have been a good game to see, being an Alberta rivalry and all Do you remember who you saw play the Eskimos play back in 2003? Glad to hear I won't be the only one on this forum taking an interest in the CFL this season !

I replied to your questions over on the blog, so go take a look there for the answers.
Old 11.05.2011, 05:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post
That 1998 Edmonton-Calgary game must have been a good game to see, being an Alberta rivalry and all Do you remember who you saw play the Eskimos play back in 2003? Glad to hear I won't be the only one on this forum taking an interest in the CFL this season !

I replied to your questions over on the blog, so go take a look there for the answers.
Yeah the atmosphere at that game was immense! Add to that it was my first experience of North American Sports outside of the movies so it was pretty mind blowing.

The second game I couldn't remeber as well - so I went and found the photo album from that trip. Turns out it was actually in 2004 (good memory I have ) and it was against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Thanks for the answers to the questions, very interesting. So how do you know so much about the CFL?
Old 11.05.2011, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah the atmosphere at that game was immense! Add to that it was my first experience of North American Sports outside of the movies and it was pretty mind blowing.

The second game I couldn't remeber as well - so I went and found the photo album from that trip. Turns out it was actually in 2004 (good memory I have ) and it was against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Thanks for the answers to the questions, very interesting. So how do you know so much about the CFL?
That's awesome, would love to go watch a West Division game, the crowds are way more passionate than they are at the East Division games. Don't suppose you have any photos on your computer of the games you wouldnt mind sharing do you ?

I wouldn't consider that I'm all that knowledgable about the CFL, but I suppose by UK standards I am My long-term girlfriend is originally from Canada (Toronto), so I have been over there many times now. Saw some CFL highlights on the news when i was over there a few years back which piqued my interest. After that I watched a few games and really got into the game. So the CFL was my first foray into professional football! I didn't started following the NFL for a while after.

How about you, do you have a particular connection with Edmonton? When are you heading back over?
Old 11.05.2011, 05:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
That's awesome, would love to go watch a West Division game, the crowds are way more passionate than they are at the East Division games. Don't suppose you have any photos on your computer of the games you wouldnt mind sharing do you?
Sorry, we didn't have a digital camera in those days so all the photos are in physical form

Quote:
I wouldn't consider that I'm all that knowledgable about the CFL, but I suppose by UK standards I am My long-term girlfriend is originally from Canada (Toronto), so I have been over there many times now. Saw some CFL highlights on the news when i was over there a few years back which piqued my interest. After that I watched a few games and really got into the game. So the CFL was my first foray into professional football! I didn't started following the NFL for a while after.
Cool, do you have a team or are you a neutral observer?

Quote:
How about you, do you have a particular connection with Edmonton? When are you heading back over?
I have family who live there so we travel out to see them every so often. My cousin just got engaged, so we'll be heading out for the wedding, although it took him 10 years to pop the question so who knows when the next trip will be!
Old 11.05.2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, we didn't have a digital camera in those days so all the photos are in physical form
Ah, no worries then

Quote:
Cool, do you have a team or are you a neutral observer?
I do indeed, I am a proud Boatmen Backer! AKA a Toronto Argonauts fan. The Toronto connection made them the obvious choice and this allows me a chance to see them play when we go back to Toronto to visit her family (as shown in the photos at the start of this thread)

Quote:
I have family who live there so we travel out to see them every so often. My cousin just got engaged, so we'll be heading out for the wedding, although it took him 10 years to pop the question so who knows when the next trip will be!
I see, that's great. Try to convince them to have the wedding sometime between July and November then, as that's when the CFL season is played ! Are your family members there Eskimos fans then?
Old 11.05.2011, 07:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I see, that's great. Try to convince them to have the wedding sometime between July and November then, as that's when the CFL season is played ! Are your family members there Eskimos fans then?
I'll do my best. Would be a bit gutting to head out all that way and miss the oppertunity to go to a game (although if I can convince my family to stop off in New York on the way. . . )

They are Eskimos fans although like most Canadians Ice hockey is their true passion - I imagine your girlfriend's family is the same?

So who do you think had the best draft this year?

Tags
canada , canadian football league , cfl , eskimos , lcf , tnf , toronto