Canadian Football League - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 11.05.2011, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocheb73 View Post
I'll do my best. Would be a bit gutting to head out all that way and miss the oppertunity to go to a game (although if I can convince my family to stop off in New York on the way. . . )

They are Eskimos fans although like most Canadians Ice hockey is their true passion - I imagine your girlfriend's family is the same?

So who do you think had the best draft this year?
Haha well I hope you can convince them to travel via New York. Rave about the shopping opportunities or something!

Yes, my girlfriend's dad is a big hockey fan, he has no interest in the CFL at all. Toronto Maple Leafs and FC Toronto in the MLS are all he watches

In terms of the draft, its actually really hard to say who had a good or bad draft, partly due to the problems I highlighted in my blog entry!

Both Toronto and Montreal took big risks. Both teams used their first round picks on players who still have a year left before the fulfil their NCAA eligibility and so will almost certainly be returning to college this year and gunning for a spot in the NFL next year. Toronto in particular took a big risk by trading up to get their guy in an Atlanta-style move So imagine if Atlanta had traded up to use their pick on a player who is definitely not coming to play for them this year and more likely than not never will and you'll have some idea as to what Toronto did on Sunday! As the Argonauts have been stung in the recent past with Danny Watkins I would have thought they'd have learnt their lesson... But who knows, maybe the gamble will pay off this time.

I think that the Saskatchewan Roughriders probably had the most solid overall draft performance. They were the last team to select a player in the draft after they traded their first-round pick to Toronto (seventh overall) in exchange for the 12th and 27th overall picks in the draft.

With its 12th pick, Saskatchewan went with Western Mustang defensive back Craig Butler, who had really impressed scouts at the CFL Evaluation Camp. The Roughriders then picked up Queens offensive lineman Matt O'Donnell (15th overall), a first-team All-Canadian selection in 2009 and 2010. Bearing in mind that this guy is 6-foot-10 he could really have some physical potential!

Though the Roughriders didn't take the biggest name flashy players, they got some really great looking players for good value, much like the Texans in this year's NFL Draft. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and the Roughriders got two birds in their hand in exchange for Toronto's one in the Bush (and probably in a 2012 NFL roster!)
Old 12.05.2011, 11:52 AM
All Pro

Interesting, I quite like this added complication players potentially going to the NFL adds. There is a bit more risk involved. Of course if it was my team taking the risk I would probably like it less!

The Eskimos took the CFL scouts top rated player in Scott Mitchell. I've read a bit of the post-draft press and there doesn't seem to be too much talk of him going to the NFL. It also looks like they're expecting him to step in straight away, probably at LG. They also managed to grab Nathan Coehoorn who was expected to go in the top 5. On the face of it that looks like a good move because I think WR was their main need going into the draft but they opted to pull the trigger on Mitchell because he was expected to go 1st.
Old 13.05.2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that the Eskimos had a good draft as well. As you say, Scott Mitchell iis not likely to be pursuing the NFL, unlike players like Phil Blake and Tyler Holmes. Mitchell is thus supposed to be the "safest" o-line pick of the 3 as far as I know. So a safe move and a good one too.

The Eskimos also just signed a Canadian QB to their roster, Mark Mueller. As I said in my blog, this really is a rarity. He'll be only one of 3 Canadian QBs on a CFL roster! He's expected to get a legitimate chance to compete for a starting job too which would be great.

Can't wait for the season to kick off, this year more than ever. Hopefully it'll help to soothe some of the lockout blues to have some football action to get excited about!
Old 14.05.2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Interesting, I quite like this added complication players potentially going to the NFL adds. There is a bit more risk involved. Of course if it was my team taking the risk I would probably like it less!

The Eskimos took the CFL scouts top rated player in Scott Mitchell. I've read a bit of the post-draft press and there doesn't seem to be too much talk of him going to the NFL. It also looks like they're expecting him to step in straight away, probably at LG. They also managed to grab Nathan Coehoorn who was expected to go in the top 5. On the face of it that looks like a good move because I think WR was their main need going into the draft but they opted to pull the trigger on Mitchell because he was expected to go 1st.
Don't know whether you knew this already, but the Eskimos signed an ex-Jet a few weeks back Wide receiver Marcus Henry was originally drafted by the New York Jets in the sixth round (171st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. He only featured on their practice roster though, before moving to the Panthers, again on the practice roster. But he'll now be an Eskimo and will be another great upgrade to their WR group, which is a team need as you mentioned. His 6'4" height should make him useful for jump balls.

And of course he'll be catching his passes from Ricky Ray, who signed to the Jets for 2004 NFL season and dressed for six games with them, although he never took a single snap with them either! Still, a real Jets-Eskimos connection going on there
Old 14.05.2011, 01:36 PM
All Pro

Excellent! I knew the Eskimos QB was an ex-Jet but I hadn't heard about this guy. I can't believe there are so few Canadian QBs. I suppose the difference in quality from high-school onwards has the most impact on the QB position as well as the importance of the position. Still you would teams would make more effort to carry one just because of pride!
Old 14.05.2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Excellent! I knew the Eskimos QB was an ex-Jet but I hadn't heard about this guy. I can't believe there are so few Canadian QBs. I suppose the difference in quality from high-school onwards has the most impact on the QB position as well as the importance of the position. Still you would teams would make more effort to carry one just because of pride!
Indeed, it is a shame. that there are not more Canadian QBs in the CFL. Part of the issue is, as you say, the level of HS and college football in Canada vs. the US. Also, as in the NFL, the CFL is a win-now league, with coaches getting the boot if they don't post winning seasons. With all this pressure to win now, the CFL teams tend to pick QBs with of experience over those that need time to develop. With the number of QBs who have experience on an NFL team floating around, young Canadian QBs don't tend to get a look in.

Another problem is that the QB position is the only one which is exempt from the import rule, so if a CFL team has a Canadian QB on their roster then he will not count towards the 22 non-import players which they need to have. The idea behind this is that teams would otherwise supposedly exploit the import rule by adding Canadian QBs to the roster without playing them just to gain roster flexibility elsewhere. This may have some truth to it, but it certainly doesn't entice teams to put a Canadian QB on the roster.

Hopefully guys like Mueller and the Calgary Stampeders 29th overall pick Brad Sinopoli represent a new move to give more Canadian QBs a shot in the league.
Old 18.05.2011, 05:32 PM
All Pro

Where can you watch the CFL? Want to try and get into it to give me something to watch over the summer. I used to have family living in Calgary I'm sure they even gave me some Stampeders merchandise years back but had no idea who they were! Would be good to watch a few games.
Old 18.05.2011, 05:34 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs View Post
Where can you watch the CFL? Want to try and get into it to give me something to watch over the summer. I used to have family living in Calgary I'm sure they even gave me some Stampeders merchandise years back but had no idea who they were! Would be good to watch a few games.
You watch the NHL ? McMahon Stadium hosted the Heritage Classic a few months back.
Old 18.05.2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs View Post
It used to be available on Sky on NASN, but alas no more.

The regular season CFL games are shown on ESPN3, who broadcast all the games, but this service is unavailable to UK IP addresses.

Alternatively, however, games may well be shown on NFL Network (and thus via Gamepass of course). Last year they reached a deal sometime in late June to broadcast 14 regular season CFL games (the best game of that week; think SNF). With the lockout and CBA preventing NFL football at the moment I think we can be hopeful that a similar deal will be reached for this year as well, which would give you a CFL game each week from the end of June til around mid November (if the lockout means you still aren't getting a football fix by then, god forbid!).

As for the Playoffs, in previous years the CFL have made these available worldwide with a pay-per-game service where you pay only 3.95USD (less than £2.50) to watch each game. They also have an archive of the 2010 playoffs, so if you want to have a taster of the CFL then maybe give a game or two a go for a couple of quid:

http://cfl-intl.insinc.com/

It might be even better for you, if you have no clue what the results were Let me know what you think if you give that a go.

EDIT: And If all else fails, the CFL.ca website has free live broadcasts of radio coverage for all games (although I'm sure that won't be of much use to you)

Last edited by jrt55555; 18.05.2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 18.05.2011, 06:19 PM
All Pro

Yeah I watch the NHL but only watch the Flyers and Red Wings so didn't see that game. My family are all Flames fans though and have tried influencing me into supporting them. If I start watching the Stampeders they might be happy I'm at least following some team from Calgary!

Tags
canada , canadian football league , cfl , eskimos , lcf , tnf , toronto