The Cricket Thread - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 31.05.2011, 07:10 AM
GOAT

Is there a better batsman around right now than Trott? I know Sachin and big Jacques are loved and for good reason, but right now, I don't see anyone in better form.
Old 31.05.2011, 08:04 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruschi 54 View Post
Is there a better batsman around right now than Trott? I know Sachin and big Jacques are loved and for good reason, but right now, I don't see anyone in better form.
No, I don't believe there is. Lots of eyebrows were raised when he was picked for that 5th Ashes Test but he's come in and really grabbed his placed with both hands.
Old 31.05.2011, 08:49 AM
Pro Bowler

On batting average alone he is but I think he MIGHT get found out a bit against a world class fast bowling line up. He did struggle in South Africa.

Still I'm more than chuffed that we've completely resolved our number 3 spot which we haven't done for donkeys years, aside from Vaughens blip in 2002/03.
Old 01.06.2011, 10:29 AM
Pro Bowler

Another good thing about Jonathan Trott is that hes a massive american football fan. I think he supports the 49ers.
Old 01.06.2011, 11:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Theres a documentary about the West Indian Cricket team of the vintage years called " Fire in Babylon"
Currently playing at Curzon Soho, and probaby other theaters near you ....

http://www.curzoncinemas.com/films/d...re-in-babylon/

A remarkable account of how the West Indies triumphed over England to become one of the most successful sporting teams in history. Riley’s arresting film documents the transformation of a relatively unknown group of players into the firebrands of the cricket world. Narrated by members of the legendary team, it contextualises their achievements within the times and highlights the players’ role in confronting racism and undermining stereotypes. A heartfelt and important documentary.
Old 01.06.2011, 12:22 PM
Pro Bowler

I will check this out when it comes to DVD. My old man still talks of this West Indies team, especially the fast bowling attack. Shame I never got to see them, although I did see Courtney Walsh bowl once.
Old 01.06.2011, 12:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_bart View Post
I will check this out when it comes to DVD. My old man still talks of this West Indies team, especially the fast bowling attack. Shame I never got to see them, although I did see Courtney Walsh bowl once.

Larry Gomes was my fave cricketer ever, and Desmond Haynes as well, especially as he played for Middlesex
Old 01.06.2011, 07:43 PM
Pro

what do you guys think about trotts scoring rate? a few people have been complaining he is too slow, i dont see a problem it is test cricket after all so long as he is making runs he can score at what ever pace he wants, it can be a bit slow when he is batting with cook but it is at the start of an innings anyway when you are looking to build the innings and not lose wickets.
I read sumwhere that boycott critisised his run rate lol
Old 01.06.2011, 07:53 PM
Hall of Fame

It's a ridiculous criticism if you ask me.

I'd sooner have Trott bat all day long, than have the whole team collapse for 100 all out before tea on the first day because we are trying to score quickly.
Old 01.06.2011, 08:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
It's a ridiculous criticism if you ask me.

I'd sooner have Trott bat all day long, than have the whole team collapse for 100 all out before tea on the first day because we are trying to score quickly.
Completely agree, it's a five day Test so his rate doesn't bother me. I'm sure if the situation required he could increase his rate. He's comfortable and in a rich vein of form, as is the whole squad. Long may it continue.