Philip Rivers - why the haters? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 18.07.2012, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Default Philip Rivers - why the haters?

Hi guys

I've always liked NFL since my dad and old brothers started watching it in the 80s. However it's only in the last 5 years that I've really got into the game seriously. This month I bought my first ever Game Pass so am very excited about the coming season.

I chose Chargers during a trip to the US where I watched lots of NFL coverage on TV. I really like the way they played and their mixture of passing and running games. LT was still a Chargers player at the time and was amazing to watch. I also like the colour blue (being a Mancunian). So I decided if I'm really going to get into NFL, I have to pick a team to follow and I picked San Diego!

However I still have lots to learn and have a question for you guys.

Why do other supporters seem to hate Philip Rivers?

I went down to the Sports Bar in London to watch a play-off game (NY Giants @ Green Bay on Jan 15th) with my brother. I had my Rivers jersey on (my bro was wearing his NY Jets jersey with Favre on the back! Much to the delight of the Giants fans!)

There were quite a lot of Americans in the bar (students and people working in London etc.) and I got some serious stick for wearing a Rivers jersey. The issue didn't seem to be that I had a Chargers jersey, it seemed to be the problem was Rivers himself.

Some people were kind enough to try and give reasons for not liking him - his attitude, arrogance..... but others were just plain abusive.

I even got abuse in the toilets! "Rivers! Can't believe you're wearing that jersey man!"

Some people were even more upset when they discovered I was English and wanted to know why I'd chosen "the furthest team from London!?".

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old 18.07.2012, 10:35 AM
MVP

I'm not a hater but when you linger around the sport for long enough you know most the reason for most most stars are hated.

He comes off as a bit of a frat boy.
His vocalness
Can come as immaturity.
He is a bit goofy and some even have a problem with his quirky throwing motion.

Him and Cutler exchanging words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSpYLU7Ig0
Old 18.07.2012, 10:45 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfry View Post
I'm not a hater but when you linger around the sport for long enough you know most the reason for most most stars are hated.

His vocalness
Can come as immaturity.

Plus he's got the kind of face you would never get tired of punching.
Old 18.07.2012, 07:03 PM
MVP

I think people expect a QB to behave a "certain way" and i dont think Rivers behaves in that "cartain way"

Personally I say balls to the "certain way", Rivers has passion, he plays with his heart on his sleeve and enjoys/plays the game like he's a kid which i find endearing

Wouldnt swap him and dont care what others think about him. He's my QB and i wear #17 with pride
Old 18.07.2012, 09:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfry View Post

His vocalness
Can come as immaturity.

I have at times got really annoyed with the way he acts but then again there are very few QBs in the NFL I like at all, most annoy me one way or another, Cutler is right at the bottom of my list. About Rivers though I would always add that his "Immaturity" is exclusively limited to his on field personality, he is a committed professional, an excellent leader and generally classy guy off the field and we are very lucky to have him. If he played on another team I wouldn't like hi at all but thankfully he doesn't.
I get a little defensive with the immaturity tag as every year any QB prospect coming into the NFL who carries the immaturity or arrogant tag gets compared to Rivers yet I never saw a scouting report that didn't praise his intangibles and leadership qualities, there were no character red flags with him. As a charger fan if you flollow the local press for any length of time you will notice there are an awful lot of low profile stories about things he does or has done which show that he is a pretty decent guy, however he then gets on the field and acts bizarrely and refuels the ire of opposing fans.
Old 20.07.2012, 09:57 AM
All Pro

Agree. This comes up all the time, and I just ignore it totally now. As usual people have seen a few clips of the Cutler thing and form their own opinions.

Anyone who's done even the most cursory amount of reading about Rivers would know that he gives chat on the field but is one of the most humble, team oriented guys in the NFL, and heavily involved in helping the community outside of football.
Old 20.07.2012, 12:44 PM
Rookie

Talking

Are there any other videos or is this the key one that people refer to?

I have to say, it looks pretty tame to me compared to some of the squaring-up you see in English football.

I wouldn't say the response from Cutler was too negative either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._oIwQeklg&NR=1

Storm in a teacup?

That said, I've just spent a season watching Mario Balotelli.....
Old 21.07.2012, 11:13 PM
All Pro

He doesn't mind dropping a bit of trash talk, then as is common with hugely popular and over analysed sports people make far too much of it. For most this is enough evidence to assume he's a gigantic ass, explicitly ignorant to everything else he does.
Old 29.08.2013, 01:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Yeah I really don't get it. Here is a guy that led the league in 2010 with regards to passing yards, is a four time pro-bowler and for the most part is a winner. He plays with passion and fire which can sometimes boil over, but hell I'd rather have a player like that than the boring media savvy washouts that frequent the NFL these days.
He plays differently from other QB's, that's what makes him entertaining to watch. For the most part he's backed it up in his career.
I guess because he's different people put up with him when the team is winning, but as soon as the team goes down the plughole they like to blame the quirky non conformist.

If I were a Charger fan, I'd know who I'd blame. Norv Turner.... how does that guy keep getting HC gigs? He's always failed wherever he has gone as a HC.

A mid table ranked defense doesn't really help an offense all that much either.

Look for Rivers to be more relaxed and bounce back this season.
Old 13.09.2013, 05:09 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
Yeah I really don't get it. Here is a guy that led the league in 2010 with regards to passing yards, is a four time pro-bowler and for the most part is a winner. He plays with passion and fire which can sometimes boil over, but hell I'd rather have a player like that than the boring media savvy washouts that frequent the NFL these days.
He plays differently from other QB's, that's what makes him entertaining to watch. For the most part he's backed it up in his career.
I guess because he's different people put up with him when the team is winning, but as soon as the team goes down the plughole they like to blame the quirky non conformist.

If I were a Charger fan, I'd know who I'd blame. Norv Turner.... how does that guy keep getting HC gigs? He's always failed wherever he has gone as a HC.

A mid table ranked defense doesn't really help an offense all that much either.

Look for Rivers to be more relaxed and bounce back this season.
Hell yeah too all of this, couldnt have put it better myself!
I havent really looked into any of Phillips college records, scouting reports etc, but whenever ive seen chargers videos like post game press conferences and interviews, its usually with Rivers in it. What ive seen pretty much backs up what everyone else here is saying about him, a model pro that is nothing but polite and courteous when not in game mode.
As far as what hes like on the field, im sorry but when has playing with passion and intesity ever been a bad thing?
And yeah maybe he does have awkward throwing mechanics and runs like a giraffe, but that doesnt seem to affected his numbers. The last 2 years dont really count, id defy any qb to put up decent numbers when your under pressure and/or flat on your **** all season long!
I blame AJ just as much as Norv for all this. Norv is an average coach at best, but added to that you got a GM that replaces all of our major playmakers with players that are ill suited for Norvals brand of football. Norv doesnt seem to able to adapt at the best of times so this was always going to end badly. Couldve ended sooner though if Dean grew a pair earlier and let these clowns go!