Following the Three Lions - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 17.01.2019, 07:53 PM
All Pro

Question Following the Three Lions

Any one else here a member of the ESTC (England Supporters Travel Club) and goes away following England to away games?

I suffer from agoraphobia so struggle to go places but seeing the Russia tournament on the TV and how much a love in it was and how all the media scare stories was absolute bull I jumped online with a rush of blood and I paid for the ESTC membership (£75) that lasts a cycle - each qualifying campaign up until the end of the next respective Euros/World Cup counts as one cycle.

So now I can apply for away games - I have just been guaranteed 2 tickets (one each for the semi final and final or 3rd/4th place play off game - whatever match England is in, in Portugal in June) for the Nations League.

Trouble is leaving it late to make plans flights are jacked up in cost massively and everywhere is booked up accom wise that looked decent and pretty central to the respective cities the matches are in.

Just curious if any of you are also into soccer and England fans and perhaps going to Portugal to?
Sponsored Links
Old 15.02.2019, 03:10 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelionman View Post
Any one else here a member of the ESTC (England Supporters Travel Club) and goes away following England to away games?

I suffer from agoraphobia so struggle to go places but seeing the Russia tournament on the TV and how much a love in it was and how all the media scare stories was absolute bull I jumped online with a rush of blood and I paid for the ESTC membership (£75) that lasts a cycle - each qualifying campaign up until the end of the next respective Euros/World Cup counts as one cycle.

So now I can apply for away games - I have just been guaranteed 2 tickets (one each for the semi final and final or 3rd/4th place play off game - whatever match England is in, in Portugal in June) for the Nations League.

Trouble is leaving it late to make plans flights are jacked up in cost massively and everywhere is booked up accom wise that looked decent and pretty central to the respective cities the matches are in.

Just curious if any of you are also into soccer and England fans and perhaps going to Portugal to?
I was a member of the club when it was called "Englandfans". I went to a lot of games from 2004 to around 2008. Buying a house kind of put paid to my soccer gallivanting!

I went to Portugal (Lisbon) for the Euros in 2004. A fantastic country to visit to and watch soccer in. I believe the Nations Cup isn't being played in Lisbon though?

There was always a mad scramble for flights once fixtures were announced. Having time and money to hand when the fixture is announced seemed to be the key.

Have you done or got any other away games planned?
Old 16.02.2019, 02:40 PM
Team Captain

Used to be a member and went home and away with England.
Then the FA / FL docked Luton 30 points in 2008 evicting us into the conference and I stopped bothering with the England team. Not been at all since.

Assuming it's still the same you had to send off boarding cards after you got home to prove you attended - to stop people buying reasonably cheap match tickets to accumulate points and then not attending.
Old 16.02.2019, 10:09 PM
MVP

I think the fans would put me off seeing an England game abroad. England just seems to attract a bad lot when they play away especially at the tournaments. It just doesn't happen with most other countries in Europe, or the few that it does (Serbia, Russia, Poland) their domestic football is also rife with it, whereas ours isn't so much these days. I tried to get Euro 2016 tickets through the UEFA ballot but specifically applied for games not involving England. I was at the fan park in Stuttgart for the England-Ecuador world cup match in 2006 and it was an utter embarrassment to be English. It wasn't a few isolated fans either, it was most. Lots of anti-German chanting, war references and other idiocy, for the whole game. That was the day I stopped with England. I'd like to think that things have improved since 13 years ago but I was at Spurs-Dortmund on Wednesday and the bloke behind me, when not yelling abuse at his own team's players, was shouting German See You Next Tuesdays, and reminding everyone that Germany lost the war. Pathetic but some people in this country just can't seem to get over the war, despite being born after it and it having nothing to do with them. And for some reason that mentality seems to manifest itself a lot in the England football team.

On the pitch though, England are as exciting as I can remember, and that's something positive.