FA Cup Thread - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 04.01.2015, 11:43 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBronco View Post
What the heck is up with Sheff United in cup competitions, ridiculous. So many near upsets this weekend who just missed out. For my part as a West Ham fan I'm delighted to be in the hat for the fourth round before we even play our game
How do you feel about us actually contesting for a cup this year? Last year with the debacles vs Man City and Forest we were in the midst of relegation issues, but this year we're in that middle ground of 4/5 Prem teams that are safe from relegation but not good enough to sustain a CL push.

I disagreed with giving up on the cups last year, but this year I'd be even more peeved if we did the same again.
Sponsored Links
Old 05.01.2015, 12:01 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
How do you feel about us actually contesting for a cup this year? Last year with the debacles vs Man City and Forest we were in the midst of relegation issues, but this year we're in that middle ground of 4/5 Prem teams that are safe from relegation but not good enough to sustain a CL push.

I disagreed with giving up on the cups last year, but this year I'd be even more peeved if we did the same again.
I dunno really, I always like the idea of a cup run and giving it a go but then I'm always so pessimistic about our chances that I tend to think that best scenario we go on a decent run but then come up against a team too good for us (like City in the league cup last year), so we waste time pursuing a cup which also ends up being detrimental to our league form. Plus we have to go to Everton and even with their poor form I don't really fancy our chances. So yeah I would like us to give it a go but always keep the league as the priority really. If we get through a couple of rounds then maybe be could start to seriously think about giving it everything
Old 05.01.2015, 04:43 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Great win for the mighty red and white wizards at QPR, what a weekend, the stoolers and Bungles are beaten and Gary Anderson wins the world title come on
And we thoroughly deserved the win as well! Was a bit scared when QPR almost scored a few times at 2-0. But we defended amazing and Jay McEveley was brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

In other news I saw John Brayford and Sean Bean at the ground and Jamaal Campbell-Ryce's mum was infront of me lol.
Old 05.01.2015, 04:44 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
What the heck is up with Sheff United in cup competitions, ridiculous. So many near upsets this weekend who just missed out. For my part as a West Ham fan I'm delighted to be in the hat for the fourth round before we even play our game
If only we could do it in the league!! And no hard feelings about the capital one cup defeat
Old 05.01.2015, 05:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I dunno really, I always like the idea of a cup run and giving it a go but then I'm always so pessimistic about our chances that I tend to think that best scenario we go on a decent run but then come up against a team too good for us (like City in the league cup last year), so we waste time pursuing a cup which also ends up being detrimental to our league form. Plus we have to go to Everton and even with their poor form I don't really fancy our chances. So yeah I would like us to give it a go but always keep the league as the priority really. If we get through a couple of rounds then maybe be could start to seriously think about giving it everything
It always depresses me to hear fans saying they are ok with sacrificing cup competitions over league campaigns.

From experience, I have much more treasured memories of when Middlesbrough won the 2004 League Cup than when we concentrated on the league and finished 6th.

You tell the Grandkids about the day you saw your team lift a trophy in the final, you don't tell them about the scrappy 1-0 win at Burnley to secure a 5th place finish on the last day of the season
Old 05.01.2015, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post
It always depresses me to hear fans saying they are ok with sacrificing cup competitions over league campaigns.

From experience, I have much more treasured memories of when Middlesbrough won the 2004 League Cup than when we concentrated on the league and finished 6th.

You tell the Grandkids about the day you saw your team lift a trophy in the final, you don't tell them about the scrappy 1-0 win at Burnley to secure a 5th place finish on the last day of the season
That's the difference between those that run clubs and those that support them. Success to fans is cups, whatever they may be
Success to board members and Shareholders is £££££. And domestically that cash is predominantly ringfenced within the PL.
Old 05.01.2015, 06:51 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelegiants View Post
If only we could do it in the league!! And no hard feelings about the capital one cup defeat
Do a job on Spurs in the semis and my feelings towards the Blades might just soften ever so slightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post

Mmm suppose my view could be tainted by our lack of success in cups in my time; a soul crushing defeat in the FA Cup final 2006 and being dumped out of the league cup semis a couple of times is all there's been of note really. Then again I have seen us win the Championship play offs twice which are undoubtedly two of my most memorable days as a West Ham fan. I would love to see us win a cup but I'm also excited enough about our league form for once this season that I'd like to see us give everything in the Prem to try and maintain a top 8 position, maybe even knock on the door of the Europa league places. League success also offers more possibilities long term, if a few seasons of strong finishes can be strung together you will hopefully start to reap the rewards all round.
Old 05.01.2015, 07:49 PM
MVP

Quote:
Do a job on Spurs in the semis and my feelings towards the Blades might just soften ever so slightly

Mmm suppose my view could be tainted by our lack of success in cups in my time; a soul crushing defeat in the FA Cup final 2006 and being dumped out of the league cup semis a couple of times is all there's been of note really. Then again I have seen us win the Championship play offs twice which are undoubtedly two of my most memorable days as a West Ham fan. I would love to see us win a cup but I'm also excited enough about our league form for once this season that I'd like to see us give everything in the Prem to try and maintain a top 8 position, maybe even knock on the door of the Europa league places. League success also offers more possibilities long term, if a few seasons of strong finishes can be strung together you will hopefully start to reap the rewards all round.
Having said this now that we could have a tie at Bristol City I would love for us to get through to the next round
Old 05.01.2015, 09:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Ah come on, you'd really take back the 2006 FA Cup run in exchange for finishing a couple spots higher up the league? I went to the game, and the semi vs Boro, best days of supporting West Ham in my lifetime - just edging the year before. Went into the final with no expectations, but wouldn't swap the gut wrenching disappointment for anything. (well, other than winning the bloody thing obviously)

I'm not convinced of the notion managers have to pick and choose either cup or league, but if it was true I'd be more than willing to prioritise a cup run and it being detrimental to league form as long as that didn't end in relegation. We're not heading towards the CL, so what else is there to go for?
Old 06.01.2015, 09:44 AM
All Pro

How will Liverpool cope with the return of the legendary Heskey! Hope they show the Cambridge Man U game next round and I'll be hoping for an upset!