ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 15.02.2008, 12:59 PM
All Pro

Default Re:ProTour Cycling Thread

[quote author=Riggo link=board=23;threadid=32269;start=0#msg850353 date=1203025587]
I would Cadel Evans a favorite for the TdF this year with Contador not riding.
[/quote]

I had Evans down to win last year, but he just doesnt seem to have that killer instinct that previous winners have shown. He seems content to just sit most of the time, and when he did attack last year he didnt seem to be able to sustain it and keep going.
Schleck is an interesting choice - he'll certainly be up there but whether he can win is another thing (especially if he rides the Giro first)
Anyone else have a favourite rider or favourite big Tour moment?
My favourite rider was Pantani. The guy was just awesome as soon as the road went uphill - tragic demise though.

Favourite Tour moment has to be Stephen Roche and Pedro Delgado riding together in the mountains in about 1993 before they both retired. Delgado brilliantly pretended to have blown, then flew past Roche IIRC, although I dont think either took the stage. I have it on video somewhere still....2 of the greats.
Also, Gert Jan Theunisse and Steven Rooks tackling Alpe D'Huez together in the 80's.
Who can forget Chiappucci's ride to Sestriere in 92 aswell?!.....Brilliant!
Sponsored Links
Old 15.02.2008, 01:53 PM
All Pro

[quote author=hpacc1 link=board=23;threadid=32269;start=0#msg850612 date=1203080351]
[quote author=Riggo link=board=23;threadid=32269;start=0#msg850353 date=1203025587]
I would Cadel Evans a favorite for the TdF this year with Contador not riding.
[/quote]

I had Evans down to win last year, but he just doesnt seem to have that killer instinct that previous winners have shown. He seems content to just sit most of the time, and when he did attack last year he didnt seem to be able to sustain it and keep going.
Schleck is an interesting choice - he'll certainly be up there but whether he can win is another thing (especially if he rides the Giro first)
Anyone else have a favourite rider or favourite big Tour moment?
My favourite rider was Pantani. The guy was just awesome as soon as the road went uphill - tragic demise though.

Favourite Tour moment has to be Stephen Roche and Pedro Delgado riding together in the mountains in about 1993 before they both retired. Delgado brilliantly pretended to have blown, then flew past Roche IIRC, although I dont think either took the stage. I have it on video somewhere still....2 of the greats.
Also, Gert Jan Theunisse and Steven Rooks tackling Alpe D'Huez together in the 80's.
Who can forget Chiappucci's ride to Sestriere in 92 aswell?!.....Brilliant!
[/quote]

My favourite rider was Lance Armstrong,what the guy did was just extraordinary.My favourite tour moment would be either when Armstrong went down,after hitting a spectator,and still went on to win the race or the sportsmanship that went on with Armstrong and Ullrich during the Tours.
Also,Piepoli in the races last year,he'd just put on the pressure and the field would be gone,apart from a few riders.Shame he cant time trial cos he's probably the best climber around
Old 15.02.2008, 05:09 PM
All Pro

Just found this news story - doesnt know when to give up does he!?

Friday 15th February 2008 - Stephen Farrand

Mario Cipollini is on a plane and heading to California after apparently sorting out his licence and contract with the Rock Racing team just 48 hours before the start of the Tour of California.

Cipollini has always refused to confirm he would make his much trumpeted return to racing at the Tour of California but Cycling Weekly understands that almost all of the licence and contract problems have been resolved and so Cipollini jumped on a plane early on Friday morning that will see him arrive in Palo Alto near San Francisco just two days before Sunday's 3.4km prologue.

The late departure will mean Cipollini will have little time to get over jet lag and the long trip will surely leave him struggling in the prologue. Cipollini will be 41 on March 22 and has not raced since Milan-San Remo in 2005, but if the reports that he has been training hard all winter are true, he could even pull off a surprise in the first road stage to Santa Rosa on Monday.

Old 15.02.2008, 06:08 PM
All Pro

[quote author=hpacc1 link=board=23;threadid=32269;start=0#msg850806 date=1203095350]
Just found this news story - doesnt know when to give up does he!?

Friday 15th February 2008 - Stephen Farrand

Mario Cipollini is on a plane and heading to California after apparently sorting out his licence and contract with the Rock Racing team just 48 hours before the start of the Tour of California.

Cipollini has always refused to confirm he would make his much trumpeted return to racing at the Tour of California but Cycling Weekly understands that almost all of the licence and contract problems have been resolved and so Cipollini jumped on a plane early on Friday morning that will see him arrive in Palo Alto near San Francisco just two days before Sunday's 3.4km prologue.

The late departure will mean Cipollini will have little time to get over jet lag and the long trip will surely leave him struggling in the prologue. Cipollini will be 41 on March 22 and has not raced since Milan-San Remo in 2005, but if the reports that he has been training hard all winter are true, he could even pull off a surprise in the first road stage to Santa Rosa on Monday.

[/quote]

He should really retire,its kinda a joke now,he isnt capable of beating the top sprinters out there
Old 15.02.2008, 09:23 PM
Rookie

I"v followed TDF for years an love the sport.Last year I travelled down from South Lanarkshire where I live to Kent to see stage 1 pass though. 3 hour build up and gone in 30 seconds.Last years Tour Of Britan past our house on the final stage to Glasgow.
I try and do as much road cycling as I can as my new years task for myself is to ride round the Isle of Arran (A shade under 60 mile all round).There are plenty of hills around here in South Lanarkshire to help me build up my fitness also I can cycle for miles without being bothred by cars, Empty roads a cyclist dream ;D
Old 18.02.2008, 09:06 AM
All Pro

If only it was like that down Brighton way!
Once you are out of town its not too bad, but still too many cars for my liking. You are constantly on guard for idiots thinking they can do 60mph down small country lanes.....
My old man and me went to see stage 1 go through Kent last year too. (We were about 5km from Tenterden) Got there at about 10 and spent 4+ hours chilling in the sun and watching the caravan go through.
Got some great shots of the riders going past, including Millar in the breakaway, Vinokourov chatting away (probably about his"new medicines"!) and one of Cadel Evans who actually just missed me with a huge glob of spit - thanks mate!?!
Seen the Tour in France a few times too, and had a brief exchange with Lemond in 1990 the last time he won. Nice guy.
Old 18.02.2008, 12:20 PM
All Pro

WIGGINS AND MILLAR UNHAPPY WITH CALIFORNIA PROLOGUE RIDES
Home » CW News » WIGGINS AND MILLAR UNHAPPY WITH CALIFORNIA PROLOGUE RIDES
Monday 18th February 2008 - By Stephen Farrand

British riders Bradley Wiggins (High Road) and David Millar (Slipstream) both admitted it is very difficult to beat Fabian Cancellara in a short and flat prologue time trial but both were unhappy with their rides in the Tour of California prologue in Palo Alto.

Wiggins was second, 4.77 seconds behind Cancellara, while Millar was ninth at 8.57.

“We all know Cancellara is a phenomenal and is the best in the world. I didn't think I'd beat him but I'm angry that I didn't put more time in to the sprinters in the race,” Wiggins said.

“I had a bad ride. I felt alright but it wasn't long enough for me. It was over before I got going and had more to give. I also miss judged the top bit but it was already over by then. I felt I was on it but misjudged the effort.”

MILLAR SHOCKED
David Millar was stunned to be so far off the pace and could not find a rational explanation immediately after his ride.

“It's a bit disappointing. I felt great. I don't know where I lost it and perhaps I didn't go hard enough at the beginning. It's the only thing I can think of it,” he said.

“I didn't pedal round the top turn but that didn't make the difference. it's not where I lose nine seconds.”

“I'm disappointed because I'm pleased with how I'm feeling. I think I'm strong enough to ride for overall that's the plan.”

CAVENDISH SURPRISED AND SATISFIED
Mark Cavendish was surprised to beat Millar and admitted he could have done even better.

“I'm satisfied with that. It's kicked off pretty well and if I can get a time bonus or something it'd be perfect. I messed up the corners a little bit. You can go flat out but I bottled it a bit.”

CIPOLLINI SAVOURS RETURN
Mario Cipollini was only 44th, 17 seconds slower than winner Cancellara on his return to racing but he seemed to be happy just to be racing again.

“It was a great to comeback I haven't raced hard like that for three years. It was very special to race in America because the people cheered my name it. I've raced in Atlanta and the Tour of Georgia and so I know they like me,” Cipollini said.

“It was more about the emotions of the moment than my actually level of fitness and the result. Tomorrow (Monday) is a very different matter. When you ride a short time trial, you don't really feel the race but in a road stage I'll really feel what it's like to be back racing.”

“We'll see what happens during the stage. I still feel like a spectator or an ex-rider but we'll see what happens when I get back in the bunch. I don't think the other riders should be scared of me.

Surprised at Millars poor time I have to admit - still, its only the prologue...Cancellara is THE man to beat these days in the short TT's. Phenomenal rider...

Old 18.02.2008, 05:47 PM
All Pro

[quote author=hpacc1 link=board=23;threadid=32269;start=15#msg851851 date=1203337207]
WIGGINS AND MILLAR UNHAPPY WITH CALIFORNIA PROLOGUE RIDES
Home » CW News » WIGGINS AND MILLAR UNHAPPY WITH CALIFORNIA PROLOGUE RIDES
Monday 18th February 2008 - By Stephen Farrand

British riders Bradley Wiggins (High Road) and David Millar (Slipstream) both admitted it is very difficult to beat Fabian Cancellara in a short and flat prologue time trial but both were unhappy with their rides in the Tour of California prologue in Palo Alto.

Wiggins was second, 4.77 seconds behind Cancellara, while Millar was ninth at 8.57.

“We all know Cancellara is a phenomenal and is the best in the world. I didn't think I'd beat him but I'm angry that I didn't put more time in to the sprinters in the race,” Wiggins said.

“I had a bad ride. I felt alright but it wasn't long enough for me. It was over before I got going and had more to give. I also miss judged the top bit but it was already over by then. I felt I was on it but misjudged the effort.”

MILLAR SHOCKED
David Millar was stunned to be so far off the pace and could not find a rational explanation immediately after his ride.

“It's a bit disappointing. I felt great. I don't know where I lost it and perhaps I didn't go hard enough at the beginning. It's the only thing I can think of it,” he said.

“I didn't pedal round the top turn but that didn't make the difference. it's not where I lose nine seconds.”

“I'm disappointed because I'm pleased with how I'm feeling. I think I'm strong enough to ride for overall that's the plan.”

CAVENDISH SURPRISED AND SATISFIED
Mark Cavendish was surprised to beat Millar and admitted he could have done even better.

“I'm satisfied with that. It's kicked off pretty well and if I can get a time bonus or something it'd be perfect. I messed up the corners a little bit. You can go flat out but I bottled it a bit.”

CIPOLLINI SAVOURS RETURN
Mario Cipollini was only 44th, 17 seconds slower than winner Cancellara on his return to racing but he seemed to be happy just to be racing again.

“It was a great to comeback I haven't raced hard like that for three years. It was very special to race in America because the people cheered my name it. I've raced in Atlanta and the Tour of Georgia and so I know they like me,” Cipollini said.

“It was more about the emotions of the moment than my actually level of fitness and the result. Tomorrow (Monday) is a very different matter. When you ride a short time trial, you don't really feel the race but in a road stage I'll really feel what it's like to be back racing.”

“We'll see what happens during the stage. I still feel like a spectator or an ex-rider but we'll see what happens when I get back in the bunch. I don't think the other riders should be scared of me.

Surprised at Millars poor time I have to admit - still, its only the prologue...Cancellara is THE man to beat these days in the short TT's. Phenomenal rider...

[/quote]

Millar shouldnt be disappointed,he only finished 9 seconds off Cancellara,whos a beast,he's not just a danger in the TT,we've seen what he can do before a sprint when everybody is winding up
Old 20.02.2008, 09:39 AM
All Pro

Heres the pics of Millar and Evans at last years Tour in Kent - when I get a chance I will put some more up!

[/img]
[/img]
Old 20.02.2008, 04:09 PM
All Pro

They Went Though My Town Of Tunbridge Wells But I couldnt See Them Because I just had a knee op and it would of been too busy for me to get up there but u could hear them go past my house and its just off the main road it was fun to watch them go though on tv.

I only watch during tour de france time as its the easiest to do with it being on eurosport and itv.

Is Cancellara still riding for csc? That the team I try to follow