Ufc - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 27.01.2010, 08:09 AM
All Pro

Default Ufc

Anyone else fans of this? Got into it a while back with the ultimate fighter really cool show. New events almost twice a month. I know its not everyones cup of tea but it really is exciting you never know whats going to happen? Im a big fan of Forrest Griffen, Matt Hamill and Dan Hardy
Sponsored Links
Old 27.01.2010, 09:02 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect_losers View Post
Anyone else fans of this? Got into it a while back with the ultimate fighter really cool show. New events almost twice a month. I know its not everyones cup of tea but it really is exciting you never know whats going to happen? Im a big fan of Forrest Griffen, Matt Hamill and Dan Hardy
All though a fairly recent convert to UFC (98 was the first one I watched) and Mixed Martial Arts I love it.....

I don't think if I had watched it years ago when it was more brutal and almost ''no holds barred'' it would have interested me, seemed thuggish but the skills athleticism and mostly technical and tactical abilities on display in the revamped promotion are astounding. it's odd because boxing always bored me to be honest but MMA in general is fast becoming one of my favourite sports, I also try and watch Pride and Strikeforce footage when possible.

I think, like NFL, it is a heavily misunderstood sport in this country. Some see it as barbaric while many cannot dissociate it with the pantomime of the likes of ''Pro'' Wrestling like WWE. However the surge in UK competitors like Hardy and Bisping seems to be bringing the UFC brand to a bigger audience over here.
Old 27.01.2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Have never really watched the UFC, to be honest. (although I did dabble abit years ago and bought some dead old UFC VHS tapes, but they were pretty boring, lots of grappling and holds, very little action. I believe it to be somewhat different in the more modern era)

I have a lifetime love of boxing, and that will never change.
Old 27.01.2010, 12:18 PM
All Pro

I have got loads of the dvds been collected up. There is a lot of grappling in some fights but thats just there nature. There are some amazing knockouts there are some proper heavy handed fighters now. It has changed a lot now there are lots more stand up fights. Strangly enough iv never enjoyed boxing that much but i love this
Old 27.01.2010, 12:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I have got loads of the dvds been collected up. There is a lot of grappling in some fights but thats just there nature. There are some amazing knockouts there are some proper heavy handed fighters now. It has changed a lot now there are lots more stand up fights. Strangly enough iv never enjoyed boxing that much but i love this
To be honest I like the grappling/ Greco-Roman wrestling aspect of the sport....I can see why some find it dull, I think it's one of those things if you are not in the know of all the little nuances and tactics it can seem quite slow and pedestrian. In some ways similar to a good defensive game in the NFL...if your not entirely down with the differences between the plays it may all seem very boring. I guess I'm just a bit of a geek when it comes to tactics!

Looking forward to 109, not the greatest card ever but I missed 108 due to College Bowl game coverage so I need my fix.
Old 27.01.2010, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

UFC2009 on the PS3 got me interested but about a month after I started watching it, Setanta went the way of the dinosaur. I don't have ESPN so haven't seen it since.....
Old 27.01.2010, 01:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
UFC2009 on the PS3 got me interested but about a month after I started watching it, Setanta went the way of the dinosaur. I don't have ESPN so haven't seen it since.....
Channel 5 and Five USA are showing some stuff I do believe if your interested, I think they may show the events about 6-8 weeks after initial broadcast but still, may be worth a look if your interested.
Old 27.01.2010, 03:20 PM
All Pro

Its on 5 every now and again and they show the ultimate fighter on 5 us and espn classic. I carnt belive captain america and coleman are headling. Its like battle of the old men. Both great fighters in there heyday hopefully they can bring back some of that magic
Old 28.01.2010, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Its on 5 every now and again and they show the ultimate fighter on 5 us and espn classic. I carnt belive captain america and coleman are headling. Its like battle of the old men. Both great fighters in there heyday hopefully they can bring back some of that magic
I think this is a pretty poor card if I am being honest...Randy and Coleman are total legends, but I dont know why they are headlining....its like battle of the OAPS!
Old 28.01.2010, 06:40 PM
All Pro

Im pretty disapointed with the main card too they aint nothing what they where. Last time i saw coleman he was outclassed and gassed about 3 mins in the first round.