Ufc - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07.12.2014, 02:01 PM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Perhaps that's all part of Dana's plan? Lets 'steal' a decision from them both, that way we can promote 'Hendricks/Lawler III' as the decider.
It wouldn't be the first time a decision has miraculously gone in favour of a popular/underdog competitor to set up a lucrative rematch.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old 08.12.2014, 01:51 PM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,531
Default

Interested to see how Phil Brooks (aka WWE quitter CM Punk) does now he's signed for UFC. Don't see him being a massive success but, at the very least, he will put bums on seats...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.12.2014, 04:55 AM
MaddenAboutTheDolphins's Avatar
MaddenAboutTheDolphins MaddenAboutTheDolphins is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.12.2010
Posts: 2,002
Default

I'm not a fan of UFC but I really hope CM Punk makes a good showing, just to shove it down the throats of all the obnoxious comments I've seen about a "fake" wrestler coming over to UFC.

The last time a "fake" wrestler came over he won the Heavyweight Championship!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.12.2014, 07:53 AM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent Vincent is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02.02.2007
Posts: 15,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post
I'm not a fan of UFC but I really hope CM Punk makes a good showing, just to shove it down the throats of all the obnoxious comments I've seen about a "fake" wrestler coming over to UFC.

The last time a "fake" wrestler came over he won the Heavyweight Championship!
No matter how well he does in UFC it won't make wrestling (WWE style) any less 'fake'
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.12.2014, 08:15 AM
Greg M's Avatar
Greg M Greg M is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.01.2012
Posts: 3,084
Default

I think this is seriously naff move by the UFC, but all the best to him. We'll know what he can do soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.12.2014, 01:15 PM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
I think this is seriously naff move by the UFC, but all the best to him. We'll know what he can do soon enough.
i dont think its naff but they should of probably used TUF to bring him in.

of course if he's dreadful then its naff and foolish
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09.12.2014, 01:19 PM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post
I'm not a fan of UFC but I really hope CM Punk makes a good showing, just to shove it down the throats of all the obnoxious comments I've seen about a "fake" wrestler coming over to UFC.

The last time a "fake" wrestler came over he won the Heavyweight Championship!
CM Punk wants to fight at 185 (although I suspect he will actually find that he ends up at 170). In either case, he will enter a division which is top heavy with amateur wrestlers. This is the one thing that Punk really lacks and it may well be that we see a former pro wrestler be undone by wrestling.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09.12.2014, 01:35 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenAboutTheDolphins View Post
I'm not a fan of UFC but I really hope CM Punk makes a good showing, just to shove it down the throats of all the obnoxious comments I've seen about a "fake" wrestler coming over to UFC.

The last time a "fake" wrestler came over he won the Heavyweight Championship!
Lesnar went 5 - 3 in the UFC. He beat Min Soo Kim (Who?!), Heath Herring, a 45 year old, physically over matched, Randy Couture, Frank Mir (fair enough), and Shane Carwin (when he was lucky to survive to the bell in the first round). Fair play to Lesnar, he's a terrific athlete for his monstrous size, and he stepped into the Octagon and beat who was put in front of him to take the title, but he took some beatings too. That said, I suppose that's your point, wrestlers take beatings when they need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
I think this is seriously naff move by the UFC, but all the best to him. We'll know what he can do soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
i dont think its naff but they should of probably used TUF to bring him in.

of course if he's dreadful then its naff and foolish
I don't see it working. Maybe he proves me wrong, but he's about 3 years too late to start down this road imo. I just hope (but doubt) they don't 'build' him up with pointless fights, and sell him as a potential contender. Just like Lesnar, if they want to test themselves I admire it, but the UFC don't need 'novelty acts' now. Like all promoters though, they see the $$$ with no drawbacks, so why not.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09.12.2014, 01:42 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
CM Punk wants to fight at 185 (although I suspect he will actually find that he ends up at 170). In either case, he will enter a division which is top heavy with amateur wrestlers. This is the one thing that Punk really lacks and it may well be that we see a former pro wrestler be undone by wrestling.
He won't end up in the top 10 of either of those divisions. Unless he's be training in MMA on the side for the last 5 years, then I just don't see how he competes with those guys. At 36 it's a big ask.

Dana said to ESPN: "We're not going to throw the kitchen sink at him. Lesnar had a wrestling background. [CM Punk] is going to fight a guy who is 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 -- something like that."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09.12.2014, 01:43 PM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Lesnar went 5 - 3 in the UFC. He beat Min Soo Kim (Who?!), Heath Herring, a 45 year old, physically over matched, Randy Couture, Frank Mir (fair enough), and Shane Carwin (when he was lucky to survive to the bell in the first round). Fair play to Lesnar, he's a terrific athlete for his monstrous size, and he stepped into the Octagon and beat who was put in front of him to take the title, but he took some beatings too. That said, I suppose that's your point, wrestlers take beatings when they need to.

.
There will always be a question mark over Lesnar and his actual level of ability. He looked like a fighter in his second fight with Mir and clearly started to develop some resemblance of a stand up game. He was 4-1 and a serious prospect who happened to be the champ.

Then his intestinal issues arose and he regressed both physically and technically. He went from a freak athlete to just another big man and the lack of time in the gym showed, especially in the aforementioned stand up game.

Would Lesnar have beaten Velasquez or Dos Santos? In my estimation the answer is no but he may well have continued to develop and ended up as a legitimate rival but we will never really know.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:58 AM.